What's new

How do you store your gear?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just kept improvising as I needed to and then I realized this has become a hobby + fell into a few rabbit holes along the way & have enjoyed it mostly. The wife has rolled her eyes many times after a few years when I was buying E-bay vintage razors, its hard to find certain vintage razor brands in Canada because they where not popular as Gillette, Schick and Valet Auto-strop in Canada.
To reduce the foot print of so much gear I used guitar wall hangers & spice rack for my brushes and installed a cabinet above the toilet many years ago and it became the biggest storage area for my shave gear. The razors racks worked well for all those odd ball shaped handles that Schick and Gem made decades ago, I like to see my gear so it gets used, as the old saying goes "out of site out of mind". A lot of this gear was bought on sale or bargained with at antique stores over the years!
(Old archived photo's as my shaving gear grew larger.) I have slowed down buying lately and seem contempt for now.
Brush dispaly of holding my brushes Aug 2022..jpg
Ron's shave den 3 (2).jpg

Each rack holds 8 razors and this is my main rotation of razors. They all get used throughout the year, some more than others.
Ron's razor collection 2022 of 41 rotation..jpg

Last edited:
My latest den 'revision' until some other inspiration whim hits.
Den-3.jpg

The enameled cup--used for very hot tap water in the morning--now holds my Proraso tube, OD deodorant, the Witch Hazel and Proraso A/S bottles, and lastly my styptic pencil.

Draco is surveying the area for potential trouble.

I just kept improvising as I needed to and then I realized this has become a hobby + fell into a few rabbit holes along the way & have enjoyed it mostly. The wife has rolled her eyes many times after a few years when I was buying E-bay vintage razors, its hard to find certain vintage razor brands in Canada because they where not popular as Gillette, Schick and Valet Auto-strop in Canada.
To reduce the foot print of so much gear I used guitar wall hangers & spice rack for my brushes and installed a cabinet above the toilet many years ago and it became the biggest storage area for my shave gear. The razors racks worked well for all those odd ball shaped handles that Schick and Gem made decades ago, I like to see my gear so it gets used, as the old saying goes "out of site out of mind". A lot of this gear was bought on sale or bargained with at antique stores over the years!
(Old archived photo's as my shaving gear grew larger.) I have slowed down buying lately and seem contempt for now.
View attachment 1662299 View attachment 1662310

Each rack holds 8 razors and this is my main rotation of razors. They all get used throughout the year, some more than others.
View attachment 1662311

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a unrealistic amount of razors and brushes

IMG_20230530_160313904.jpg

A simple peg board my dad put together for my razor and brush. It wasn't built for those tools, I've stopped using or passed on my first razor and brush.

IMG_20230530_160411595.jpg

A single shelf for soap, blades and balm. I'm trying not to hoard too much soap, once this supply runs down I'm sticking to a jar of unscented soap and one seasonal scent. Bath soap is another story, I've 15 or so bars of Stirling bath soap in another drawer.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't see myself becoming a minimalist but I have been thinning out my gear. I had accumulated quite a few nice soaps early on but since I discovered I can't use scented soaps, just today, I reduced my soaps to 8 in number, 6 unscented and 2 very, very lightly scented ones.

I think I had 23 brushes at one point but I'm down to 11, though three of them are being reknotted so they are in transit. no..... make that 12... I do have one on the way though I doubt I'll get it in June.. maybe July.

The razor list has been going up and down, but I'll cull that herd as time goes on, I'm sure.

The point to all this musing? I don't seem to have a space problem. I'm using less space now than 6 months ago, that's for sure. I do like it when everything has a home and I don't have to hunt for stuff, so the gear will continue to be organized.

Keep 3 soaps, 1 brush, 1 tuck of blades 1 aftershaves or balm used at home in my wife approved area of the bathroom. The overflow soaps, blades, razors and aftershaves are kept in a plastic storage container underneath the bed.

Top Bottom