What's new

How do you start campfires?

Last summer I made a different starter for camping with the fam. I took a cardboard egg carton and cut the top off. Filled the 12 egg holders with hardwood sawdust from the wood shop dust collection. Then pour a lot of melted paraffin into the carton onto the sawdust. You get 12 starters that burn for an amazing length of time. Too heavy for backpacking, but not for the camper.

I carry a blow torch in my travel trailer. It sure is handy after a rain or in extremely humid weather. The torch head takes up very little space. I always have a green propane tank or two for one reason or another.

To be honest, I rarely start a wood fire anymore. I carry a propane campfire in the trailer. I used swear I would quit camping if it came down to a propane fire. In reality, it is quite handy. The fire is instant, no wood to carry, no smoke, it goes out instantly, too.

Last edited:
I carry a blow torch in my travel trailer. It sure is handy after a rain or in extremely humid weather. The torch head takes up very little space. I always have a green propane tank or two for one reason or another.

To be honest, I rarely start a wood fire anymore. I carry a propane campfire in the trailer. I used swear I would quit camping if it came down to a propane fire. In reality, it is quite handy. The fire is instant, no wood to carry, no smoke, it goes out instantly, too.

I will always be a fan of wood fires and will always choose one over propane. But we had such a dry summer last year that there were fire bans in the parks for a good portion of the summer, so the propane fire pits were an excellent substitution.

Top Bottom