What's new

How do you rate these old-school hard soaps?

Dear gents in B&B,
Recently I find the best remedy for SAD is discovering old-school hard soaps are more than what we need.
I think I will stick with some of the following.
Please let me know how do you rate them.
1. Arko
2. DR Harris
3. Haslinger Sheepmilk
4. Klar Classic
5. MdC
6. MWF
7. Musgo Real
8. SV
9. Tabac

Any forthcoming inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you, @BigJ.
The places of MdC and DR Harris shock me a bit.
MdC is usually hyped in B&B.
In my limited experiences, DR Harris performs wonderfully after I switch to bowl-lathering.
It always give me much creamier lather than SV does.

Besides, @BigJ, would you mind my adding two soaps in my list?
PdP and Valobra.
BullGoose has some Valobra soaps.

Last edited:
MWF, SV, Tabac, I haven’t tried any of the others. I have four McD samples. Will be trying the Rose on my next shave. I will not be replacing any of the artisan soaps I am using up.

I've only used Arko, my first stick, and after several uses I found it drying to my skin. I'll be using it more as it might be rookie error/interference on my 1st stick. I cut off a bit of it and bowl lathered and had better results that way, but still more post-shave dryness than when using other soaps. In the future I'd like to try the Arko tub and see if I get better results.

Did you add Pre de Provence to the list? Fantastic soap! I was surprised at how easy it lathered for a hard soap, and it's very moisturizing. One of the top soaps in my den. I have the Bergamot & Thyme. Looking forward to getting #63 in the Autumn.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have only use Tabac and MWF and do not feel the need to try any others as they are superb and very inexpensive here in the UK. Tabac is my number one but with MWF I also have the versatility of grating it and seeding it with my preferred scent to create my own soap. I have done so with vintage Shulton Old Spice, vintage Faberge Brut, and vintage Aramis and the results have been excellent. I cannot ever see me needing any other hard soaps.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Mitchell's is excellent, and my primary soap.

The Haslinger is almost as good, but extra cost per shave, for no extra gain.

I find Martin de Candre overhyped, and over priced.

Not tried the others, but I do have a Saponifico Very'spensive sample that I haven't gotten round to yet. I might have a Harris sample too.

Leaving scent aside, since it is so subjective, here is my ranking of the ones I've tried:
Haslinger Schafmilch
Tabac
Klar Classic
DR Harris
MWF

If you also include scent, I would change the list as follows:
DR Harris (Lavender, Windsor or Arlington)
MWF
Klar Classic
Tabac
Haslinger Schafmilch

Mitchell's is excellent, and my primary soap.

The Haslinger is almost as good, but extra cost per shave, for no extra gain.

I find Martin de Candre overhyped, and over priced.

Not tried the others, but I do have a Saponifico Very'spensive sample that I haven't gotten round to yet. I might have a Harris sample too.

Dear @AimlessWanderer,
DR Harris gives me much creamier lather than SV does.
Blooming DR Harris never lets me down.
In anther thread, some gents report that MWF is hard to lather and tend to produce thin lather.
I like Santa Claus lather.
Maybe I should think MWF over before pulling my trigger on it.

Of those, I've only tried MdC, Haslinger, and DR Harris.

I thought Haslinger made the best lather, but that scent was way too cloying for me. I hated it more and more with each shave.

MdC was ok. Lathered easily. Smelled a little medicinal for my tastes, and I found the lather a little bit drying.

DR Harris smelled better than either of the others, but its lather was the worst of the three for me.

Honestly, I didn't like any of them very well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Dear @AimlessWanderer,
DR Harris gives me much creamier lather than SV does.
Blooming DR Harris never lets me down.
In anther thread, some gents report that MWF is hard to lather and tend to produce thin lather.
I like Santa Claus lather.
Maybe I should think MWF over before pulling my trigger on it.

Mitchell's can be hard to get started, if it's the first few uses, or it's been neglected for a while. As the puck absorbs more and more water over subsequent shaves, it keeps on improving, but if you let it dry out and have hard water, it might take a few shaves to get going again.

It's not really a soap for having one or two shaves with, then not using again for a month. If you're prepared to stick with it, you'll get some fantastic shaves. If you want to swap and change all the time, you might be better settling for Haslinger Schafmilch instead. I believe that's a little more forgiving of neglect.

While a well hydrated puck of Mitchell's can give very rich lathers, my shaves deteriorate if I use it like that. Dense lathers muffle shave feel, which can lead to poor shaves, red stuff leaking out of the face, and/or irritation post shave. I prefer a thinner lather, greater awareness of what the blade is doing, and the better closeness and comfort this can lead to.

Thank you, @BigJ.
The places of MdC and DR Harris shock me a bit.
MdC is usually hyped in B&B.
In my limited experiences, DR Harris performs wonderfully after I switch to bowl-lathering.
It always give me much creamier lather than SV does.

Besides, @BigJ, would you mind my adding two soaps in my list?
PdP and Valobra.
BullGoose has some Valobra soaps.

Sorry! Too long since I used either of those for me to rank them.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I read often of people soaking, blooming, and regularly watering their MWF puck but I have never found this necessary. I can leave my puck for weeks and then apply a few drops of water, load a damp brush, and face lather with great results. I live in an area with a soft domestic water supply so perhaps that makes a difference.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I read often of people soaking, blooming, and regularly watering their MWF puck but I have never found this necessary. I can leave my puck for weeks and then apply a few drops of water, load a damp brush, and face lather with great results. I live in an area with a soft domestic water supply so perhaps that makes a difference.

Yes, my water is a lot softer than a lot of places in the UK too, and I have none of the issues that many people complain about. I still find it works better after several consecutive shaves, than it does after being left a while.

One short cut I've found, is to wet the bristles and load the brush, and then put it back on the stand, bristles down, while I do my face prep. That gives a little extra time for the soap particles to incorporate with the water in the brush, without needing too much effort from me.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Dear gents in B&B,
Recently I find the best remedy for SAD is discovering old-school hard soaps are more than what we need.
I think I will stick with some of the following.
Please let me know how do you rate them.
1. Arko
2. DR Harris
3. Haslinger Sheepmilk
4. Klar Classic
5. MdC
6. MWF
7. Musgo Real
8. SV
9. Tabac

Any forthcoming inputs are highly appreciated.

1. Arko. A classic cheap soap, lathers well, many say that it’s drying (typical of cheap soaps), and the scent is ‘polarizing’ If it works for you, it’s hard to complain about.

2. D. R. Harris. There are 2 formulas, the older is palm oil based and the newer, recently introduced version reverts to to a tallow first formula and I think that the Cyril Salter hard soap uses the same or a similar tallow formula. Not a huge difference if any though.

3. Haslinger Shafmilk. Haven’t used it in a long time though I have a puck somewhere if I can find it, I had no complaints. People like it because it has less lathering issues than MWF.

4. Klar Klassic. A really good soap, but about the same price per gram as MdC. Klassic smells like MWF. A clean rinsing soap. FYI, the Klar agrumes smells very close to MdC agrumes and it’s probably my favorite Klar scent. You won’t save much if any money over MdC except that it’s 100g instead of MdCs 200g.

5. MdC. Another classic. Very simple coconut oil formula. Some say it’s drying, but all I get is perfectly clean skin, there’s no residue at all. A very clean rinsing soap, and very concentrated, it lasts forever. MdC is not intensely scented, and I like all of the scents - they tend to be simpler and I don’t get tired of them. Tip: if you don’t like the benzoin resin (similar to cade resin) in the original, just leave the top off the jar as MdC recommends, and in a few weeks you’ll have a very nice sweeter lavender.

6. MWF. Another classic. Some find it difficult to lather as opposed to Haslinger Shafmilk and Klar Klassic. Contains lanolin, which I’d rather do without but it is this soaps selling point and lanolin seems to be a cheap shorcut to a post shave feel that many like.

7. Musgo Real. Haven’t used the hard soap, the cream is quite good but recently had a large price increase that many feel is not justified by the performance. It is one of the few creams along with Ach Brito Lavanda that contains lanolin if that matters to you. Scents are good.

8. SV. Haven’t used the current 4.3 but might like to try a sample. I have the Colonia in 4.1 and it‘s a good soap but not anywhere close to what a lot of forum talk makes 4.1-4.3.

9. Tabac. Classic, performance is excellent, no complaints. Scent is, well, Tabac. I’d rather have Sir Irisch Moos, but neither fragrance is a high end one. Classic drugstore scent.

I hate the benzoin scent of classic MdC. I didnt know that it would go away if the lid was left off. Doesn't bring it into my buy list, but good to know anyway.

1. Arko. A classic cheap soap, lathers well, many say that it’s drying (typical of cheap soaps), and the scent is ‘polarizing’ If it works for you, it’s hard to complain about.

2. D. R. Harris. There are 2 formulas, the older is palm oil based and the newer, recently introduced version reverts to to a tallow first formula and I think that the Cyril Salter hard soap uses the same or a similar tallow formula. Not a huge difference if any though.

3. Haslinger Shafmilk. Haven’t used it in a long time though I have a puck somewhere if I can find it, I had no complaints. People like it because it has less lathering issues than MWF.

4. Klar Klassic. A really good soap, but about the same price per gram as MdC. Klassic smells like MWF. A clean rinsing soap. FYI, the Klar agrumes smells very close to MdC agrumes and it’s probably my favorite Klar scent. You won’t save much if any money over MdC except that it’s 100g instead of MdCs 200g.

5. MdC. Another classic. Very simple coconut oil formula. Some say it’s drying, but all I get is perfectly clean skin, there’s no residue at all. A very clean rinsing soap, and very concentrated, it lasts forever. MdC is not intensely scented, and I like all of the scents - they tend to be simpler and I don’t get tired of them. Tip: if you don’t like the benzoin resin (similar to cade resin) in the original, just leave the top off the jar as MdC recommends, and in a few weeks you’ll have a very nice sweeter lavender.

6. MWF. Another classic. Some find it difficult to lather as opposed to Haslinger Shafmilk and Klar Klassic. Contains lanolin, which I’d rather do without but it is this soaps selling point and lanolin seems to be a cheap shorcut to a post shave feel that many like.

7. Musgo Real. Haven’t used the hard soap, the cream is quite good but recently had a large price increase that many feel is not justified by the performance. It is one of the few creams along with Ach Brito Lavanda that contains lanolin if that matters to you. Scents are good.

8. SV. Haven’t used the current 4.3 but might like to try a sample. I have the Colonia in 4.1 and it‘s a good soap but not anywhere close to what a lot of forum talk makes 4.1-4.3.

9. Tabac. Classic, performance is excellent, no complaints. Scent is, well, Tabac. I’d rather have Sir Irisch Moos, but neither fragrance is a high end one. Classic drugstore scent.

This is a great summary.

My adds

1) Would swap Arko to Palmolive. Less obtrusive scent. Great performance and value. Arko is relatively soft. Palmolive is hard enough to that it crumbles rather than cuts or forms.

2) standout DR Harris scents Arlington, Almond, Lavender

3) all the haslinger pucks are almost scentless generic soap smell except this one. Very good performance. Got rid of sheepsmilk due to scent. Recommend any of the others. I’m partial to marigold.

5) MDC is more of a dehydrated cream than a triple milled hard soap. Works good.

6) MWF is a fantastic soap

9) tabac. Great performance, polarizing scent.

PDP is a good soap. Lasts forever. Great scent. Other perform a bit better. I’ve finished two pucks and have two more in back stock.

PSGT has a great scent and performance. Personal favorite.

Valobra is the best of the best. If you want to try it, hurry up and order one of the few pucks left in distribution. All the tubs smell the same to me - tallow/clay.

Top Bottom