What's new

How do you form your shaving biases?

No choice bias from me. Not when it comes to shaving products or anything else for that matter. My critical opinion is based objectively. I've bought many things that don't get used or get returned or given away or even thrown away if they don't cut the mustard. I'll exclude CD's from my collection and banish them to an old suitcase if they fall short in some way. Getting to understand and appreciate the value of something previously written off, however, is another matter entirely.

I'll generally try products for myself and see how they work. If they don't work well, I'll shelve whatever it is for a while, then revisit it later; if it still doesn't work, out it goes.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Most forum members would agree with me when I say...jcarr buys way too much stuff. I may buy too much, but it helps me round out my overall experience.

Monty Python said it best..."I think the majority of the wrong-thinking people are right."

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I started shaving circa 1964 with a hand me down Schick SE, a hand me down badger brush, and a Yardley puck in a wooden bowl. I tried the "new" Wilkinson cartridge and did not much like it. I tried canned shaving creams and far preferred the heat and warmth of my own lather. I have tinkered with various things along the way from multiblades to straight razors and just prefer badger and lathering from soap and scraping the whiskers with a DE. As for scents, I like sandalwood more out of sentimentality than anything else. I like 4711 because it is so light and fades so quickly. I like a pretty wide array of stronger scents with Guerlain Vetiver leading the pack.

I try to be objective and unbiased when testing shave gear. I keep a spreadsheet and load it with as much data as possible so I can figure out what works, and what doesn't. It's easy to say that MdC is the best thing since running water when you paid $75 for it. Objectively I have found that a Speick stick wipes the floor with it for a fraction of the price. And the flip-side to that coin has been brushes for me. Those little pricey Simpsons Badgers kill everything else at 1/4 of the price, but the data says it makes better lather and gives me a better shave. Who am I to argue with the data?

:D

I have always made choices by asking questions and research, When I first started shaving in'62 I chose my Gillette Slim razor from a variety of SE and DE razors in the Drug store, asking questions form Dad and Uncles and articales that I read about in magazines, the same with brushes and soaps. After I used them I was happy with my choices. I still use my Slim these days and prefer a Boar brush, soaps I enjoy with just three.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like old things, well worn and used. I like old ways of doing things. I think that’s what draws me to vintage and SR shaving. Old world soaps that are time tested and old school drugstore Splashes appeal to me.

I am probably odd man out here, still probably considered a newbie, I started shaving with a DE blade in March 2018 and my criteria is if it works good I use it, if not I know not to buy it again. I try to give products a good testing time, but if they don't pass my preference test, then it's out they go.

Top Bottom