What's new

How do you feel about the death of cursive handwriting?

I used to prefer writing in cursive but my middle school teachers would always complain my handwriting was too messy, so I stopped writing in cursive. This was decades ago. As I write this I realize that it was more the teachers’ inability to read cursive than my handwriting. Writing in cursive is quicker and I would like to think I write better content.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I didn't know it was dead.

I still use it and even my 23yo housemaid uses it for everyday writing. Its death must be a western thing.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I grew up in Malaysia, school in the late 90s/00s. Was still taught cursive English back then for a few years, although now I’ve been told they’re not teaching it anymore.

Didn’t learn it properly back then, had to study it myself when I started collecting fountain pens - my current handwriting is a combination of cursive and print.

I do feel that cursive handwriting is a very useful skill to have, but is it essential? Maybe not. Still, it would be a huge shame if it died out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I lament more the death of math and science in this country. The arts are taking a pounding, too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The schools here stopped teaching it. Initially, I was totally disgusted when my son's 3rd grade teacher told me this! So I taught him at home. Now he's in 4th grade and he can at least sign his name in cursive and he can read cursive although he refuses to write in cursive. As most parents know, trying to teach your own kid anything can get pretty frustrating.

What do you think? Now that I've had more time to think about it I'm wondering if it's really a bad thing. When my kids are my age they probably won't even need to know how to print. Everything will probably written via keyboard and dictation.

The only practical reason I can find to keep him practicing cursive is so that he can read cards and letters from family members. Or if he decides to read the Declaration of Independence one day. Other than that, it just seems to be in the interest of tradition. Or just because I had to learn it now you have to!
It really fries my eggs! If they can’t write it, they won’t be able to read it either. Absolutely insane. Cursive is beautiful and much quicker than printing. My cursive was never good but after 30 years of keyboarding, it became nearly illegible. I’ve spent the past few months relearning it. I’m left handed and it hasn’t been easy but I’ve finally got the slant worked out and it is looking quite good. Long live cursive!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I didn't know it was dead.

I still use it and even my 23yo housemaid uses it for everyday writing. Its death must be a western thing.
I believe it is a US thing but more and more schools are going back to teaching it. Another failed “educational” experiment gone wrong. The fact that it is being taught again is that the kids can’t read it either.

Top Bottom