What's new

Do you still write in cursive?

Having mentioned bright young people who never learned cursive, I should say that it's unpredictable who will know it and who won't. I've been surprised by people in their early twenties who show decent cursive skills. On the other hand, one work friend of mine who is only a couple of years younger than I no longer uses cursive at all. That wouldn't be so bad, except that his printing reminds me of Sumerian cuneiform. It's best if he just types.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I shave with a brush and DE razor - of course I use cursive. But not until I found my way to the nib.

I formerly printed everything with upper case and some bizarre connecting of letters that was nearly illegible. I still don't use the traditional cursive "Q" - that is just a silly letter for me. Other than that I only use cursive. I'll be teaching my grandchildren because they want to use my fountain pens.

When I write things that will be read by others, it is printed. If its a note to myself, it will be a combination of printed and cursive.

When I sign my name, it is in cursive. And I often misspell it. I need to sign my name dozens of times a day at work, and I've developed a slap-dash signature that leaves out some letters, puts in too many of others, and makes a "p" look like "r" and an "e" look like "i" and its never the same way twice in a row.

People that have seen signs I have hand-made tell me I have beautiful handwriting. I tell them that with my beautiful handwriting, all I need is $2.25 and I can get a Grande coffee at any Starbucks' in America.

I don't have kids but my understanding is they no longer teach cursive writing in grade school. Admittedly, I tend to print more often than I hand-write.

I have an "old school" doctor...he's in his late 60's and has many of the older habits (including making his patients wait for 2 hours when you have a scheduled appointment but that's a different story). A few weeks ago, he wrote a prescription (in cursive) that I had to get filled. I stopped at Walgreen's and the pharmacist (early 20's) said she couldn't read his writing so she had to wait until the next day to call him to verify the prescription. I thought she was nuts - I read out the prescription to her and she said she didn't feel comfortable with that. I took my prescription and drove down the street to the next pharmacy....an older pharmacist. She read the prescription and said no problem, it would be about 15 minutes.

It's had me wondering...has cursive handwriting gone the way of calligraphy? Is it reserved for more personal notes and cards to friends (that their kids might not be able to read)?

The Federal no child left behind act caused elementary schools to drop cursive writting almost all together. We taught our daughter cursive on the weekends and during the summer.

The Federal no child left behind act caused elementary schools to drop cursive writting almost all together.

No it did not.
Both my children were taught cursive, one 8 years ago, the other within the last 5, both in a public elementary school.

It all depends on what priorities the local school district sets within state and federal guidelines or rules.

I returned to writing cursive last year, after years of printing. I have found that writing cursive is easier to write my letters. Being left handed cursive writing is more of a natural flow when I write.

Uh...I graduated high school in 2003. We were still writing multi-page essays left and right. In 6th grade we had a mandatory class called "Composition Writing," but it started heavily in 8th grade (which for me was 98-99) and continued through high school, drilled through our heads that it was a skill we needed to perfect to have success in college. We had to memorize "TSFFWW" - "The Standards for Formal Written Work" - which involved writing in pen with a correct heading, title, indentions for paragraphs and numbers, before we turned things in. Even when we started to write longer papers on computers, writing longhand was still considered paramount in English class.

I'm sure it's different now, and maybe mine was the last generation for it, but it was definitely still being taught in the early '00's.

And in terms of the thread, yes...I always have, and still do, write in cursive.

You either went to a very good public school with a strong academically oriented school board or a private school. Most public schools followed the path I described. Yes, I am a public school teacher who had the benefits associated with a growing up in a parochial school setting.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Granddaughter, who is 17 now, loves my old Royal portable typewriter that she couldn't find the number 1 on.

"Muuuum ... I asked grampa where the '1' key is, and he told me to go to 'ell!!"

"Muuuum ... I asked grampa where the '1' key is, and he told me to go to 'ell!!"

:thumbup1: I wonder how many of the youngsters here got that one.

Although actually, my Smith Corona Classic 12 does have a separate key with 1 and !. The keys in the upper left and upper right were user selectable; you bought the keys you wanted and put them on, along with putting the associated type on the end of the bar. I think the 1/! was the default, but you could get things like diacritics if you needed them.

My 4 kids are all in elementary and middle school. They were all taught, and actively used, cursive up to the end of elementary. In middle school it is optional for them to use, and they tell me that most middle school kids do not use cursive.

I had to get the signature of an 18 year old girl while at work the other day. When I asked her to sign the paper and she ended up printing her name to which I responded "your signature, you can't print it." She replied back with something along the lines of, "what, like my grandmother writes?" :a52: Apparently a lot of young people don't know, don't care, and were never properly taught. I'm only 25 though and remember learning it in school. It makes me wonder when they quit teaching it down here.

My daughter had an english teacher that made the kids use cursive for all their assignments! I thought that was great. I recently picked it back up some. I have to slow way down to make it legible though. Not a bad thing I am beginning to realize.

You either went to a very good public school with a strong academically oriented school board or a private school. Most public schools followed the path I described. Yes, I am a public school teacher who had the benefits associated with a growing up in a parochial school setting.
I went to a public school. Didn't have the money for private. I think this issue just varies district to district and state to state in terms of what's taught.

My daughter had an english teacher that made the kids use cursive for all their assignments! I thought that was great. I recently picked it back up some. I have to slow way down to make it legible though. Not a bad thing I am beginning to realize.

I give a short cursive refresher course for all of my middle school students. I encourage them to use cursive for their classroom notes and assignments. I award bonus points for all work that is done in cursive. I do not take points off when kids choose not to use cursive script. All work must be easily read or it is not graded. (Slowing down is all that is usually required for legibility.)

Work that is not graded because of legibility can be redone and turned in at the beginning of the next day's class without losing points. This is a onetime benefit. Very few kids are repeat offenders. Most parents are very supportive when they get a look at what wasn't graded.

Awarding extra points for using cursive has been well received by parents too. Most of the tense parents relax when they realize that their kids are not being penalized for choosing to print. (Amazing how many non-writers and sloppy writers blame the teacher. I just explain the award policy and/or show them the scribbles their kid tried to pass off as completed work and they relax. 8 out of 10 parents are very happy that I am helping their kid learn or relearn cursive.

Last edited:
Quit using cursive after taking drafting. After having to use 1/4" letters all caps, trying to go back became illegible.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had to get the signature of an 18 year old girl while at work the other day. When I asked her to sign the paper and she ended up printing her name to which I responded "your signature, you can't print it." She replied back with something along the lines of, "what, like my grandmother writes?" :a52: Apparently a lot of young people don't know, don't care, and were never properly taught. I'm only 25 though and remember learning it in school. It makes me wonder when they quit teaching it down here.

Funny the sort of hang-ups we can have about signatures. It wasn't so long ago that most people "made their mark" not by writing out their name but my marking an "X". Some people take great pride in how their signature is perfectly legible ... and others an equal amount of pride in their signature being so "unique" as to be basically illegible.

Almost exclusively now. (56) I recall in junior high in the early 1970's I started some weird hybrid, and/or a lot of all caps printing. (that started in a shop class where I learned to use a t-square and all those fun tools, even though I ended up in accounting) I still had a hybrid of sorts until a couple of years or so ago. I made a conscious effort then of less hybrid/more regular cursive. My cursive has improved a great deal since then. There are some capital letters I do not use a cursive hand for: S, Q, H, K, O, P, R, ... It has been so long for some of them (S) that I have forgotten how. Never liked the weirdness of Q, or the weird curly-q's on a H or K.

I'm 45 and I'm still using cursive after I learned it when I was a kid. As many people, I've been writing less and less over the year, preferring to type everything in on the computer. However, since my handwriting had deteriorated a lot because of this, I made a conscious effort to start writing stuff on paper again, and improving my handwriting.

My kids (9 and 12) still learned cursive at school, which I like, I think it's a skill everyone should have.

Top Bottom