What's new

How do you feel about pipes with a filter system?

Today, about halfway through the bowl, the draw got hard. I have not yet checked, but I suspect a loose piece of baccy entered the shank, causing a clog with the filter.

**EDIT** Just took it apart for a quick clean. As expected, a small piece of dottle found it's way up to the filter, and lodged there. Took a bit of poking to dislodge, too. Filter is gonzo.

Last edited:
No filters in my cobs. Some of my briars are made for filters and it’s a mixed bag for me. Some I do, some I don’t. It depends on the pipe and my experience with it. I prefer the balsa filters but don’t seat them tightly in the stem.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
For a Savinelli, I'd probably use the spacer more than the filter. However, I am curious to try Brigham's rock maple.

I own one Sav. One of their rarer filterless models. A big cavernous KS bowl that I now like very much. It’s become my designated ‘Big Gulp’ pipe for longer-duration smokes.

I’d consider more Savs if they all smoked like that one. Unfortunately, most Savs are filter models, and I just don‘t care for spacers.

I own one Sav. One of their rarer filterless models. A big cavernous KS bowl that I now like very much. It’s become my designated ‘Big Gulp’ pipe for longer-duration smokes.

I’d consider more Savs if they all smoked like that one. Unfortunately, most Savs are filter models, and I just don‘t care for spacers.

From most of the reply's here, guys can't see a difference between a pipe with a filter and one without.
YMMV

I personally haven't used filters in any of my pipes -- in fact, I've paid more attention to stem material than whether the pipe is built for a filter. I take them out if they come with one.
Also, I think the word "filter" is misleading -- the filter in a pipe is more about moisture control than smoke filtration. Most cigarettes have filters, but it isn't to stop them gurgling!

I strongly dislike filters; they get in the way of a proper draw. German pipes are plagued with filter designs. You don't have to install a filter, but it rates a glare every time you take things apart. I admit that some of my favorite Amorellis have a filter-style stem, but I try to pretend that it's not there.

However, I do like a few Denicool crystals at the bottom of the bowl. I suppose they have a filtering role, but the main point is that they keep things from clogging up.

I have a range of pipes. My most heavily smoked is my Falcon. I put a rolled up piece of pipe cleaner in the bottom (filter). It soaks up any liquids, ash etc. It's the most perfect system I've used. Easy to clean. Smokes cool. Love it.

Second most smoked are MM cobb pipes with paper filter. Cool, and dry. Filters again stop any nasty suprises.

I have some non filtered pipes that I occasially use. One in particular is a very small dunhill gifted from a fine gent on these forums. It spits liquid tobacco bile into my mouth from time to time. I try and try to go slower but this pipe will forever do that. It's what it is. I still love it.

For me, filters are a must if I'm buying. Reading the above comments though show it's just a case of what works for you.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
... a very small dunhill ... It spits liquid tobacco bile into my mouth from time to time. I try and try to go slower but this pipe will forever do that. ...

What exactly are you smoking where that much moisture is being generated?

I have owned a few with filters but the filter never last long before it restricts the draw. 90% of the time i use pipes and stem i have made from Pecan with a straight stem that makes it easy to run a pipe cleaner threw it. If they get really bad i just throw them in my microwave i have in my shop and cook the tar out of them for 60 sec. Ha! no pun intended

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Reviving this thread, because in the past month, for whatever reason, I just wound up with two filtered pipes. And two very different outcomes.

A lovely Sav Punto Oro, which I can readily live with. On this Sav, the filter bore is a little too wide open to smoke raw. So I used the included adapter (with a couple wraps of teflon tape to snug it in). That one is coming along nicely. Very happy puffs.

And after all these years, my first Vauen. A very nifty looking Meerschaum-lined one, with a stem that thinks it‘s a Dunhill. The Germans always did envy the Brits.

But those crazy Germans. Engineered to a fault. A cavernous 9mm filter bore ... that won’t pass a pipe cleaner. And even with their fancy, conical-tapered, grooved and o-ringed adapter ... it still won’t pass a cleaner. Because the Vauen airway is offset-drilled, presumably to create a moisture trap at the filter. So I have to pull it apart after every smoke. Thankfully, there is not a special $75 German tool required to do so. If I’m pulling it open after every smoke, I might actually try out a filter on this one.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Reviving this thread, because in the past month, for whatever reason, I just wound up with two filtered pipes. And two very different outcomes.

A lovely Sav Punto Oro, which I can readily live with. On this Sav, the filter bore is a little too wide open to smoke raw. So I used the included adapter (with a couple wraps of teflon tape to snug it in). That one is coming along nicely. Very happy puffs.

And after all these years, my first Vauen. A very nifty looking Meerschaum-lined one, with a stem that thinks it‘s a Dunhill. The Germans always did envy the Brits.

But those crazy Germans. Engineered to a fault. A cavernous 9mm filter bore ... that won’t pass a pipe cleaner. And even with their fancy, conical-tapered, grooved and o-ringed adapter ... it still won’t pass a cleaner. Because the Vauen airway is offset-drilled, presumably to create a moisture trap at the filter. So I have to pull it apart after every smoke. Thankfully, there is not a special $75 German tool required to do so. If I’m pulling it open after every smoke, I might actually try out a filter on this one.
Sounds nice. I like the line about the $75 tool.... I had a few Volkswagens in my youth...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Sounds nice. I like the line about the $75 tool.... I had a few Volkswagens in my youth...

VW’s got nothing on Merc when it comes to those ‘special tools’. And they always cost $75 for some reason.

But the Vauen is a very attractive smoking instrument. Never look a gift pipe in the bore.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Filters? Right up there with condoms.

You put pipe filters right up.... WHERE?!?! :yikes:

Careycmon.gif

Top Bottom