What's new

How do you feel about pipes with a filter system?

I'm new to pipe smoking (well I quit once and now have come back) and I just bought a Savinelli pipe that uses a wooden filter system. I think it's great. I was just wondering what is the general feeling around here about pipes with filters? Like them, hate them, or don't care?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like em, but don’t use them lol. I’m a dummy I know.

They were really useful when I started and smoked really wet. The filter did wonders. Nowadays I tend to smoke drier for some reason and don’t use filters hardly.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I have plenty but tend to buy the filter spacer and forgo using a filter. Its all personal preference.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like the 6mm balsa filters. 9mm charcoal can be too restrictive on the draw. I do have 9mm balsa filters now, but haven't tried them yet.

Some of my cobs take them. I tend to use filters only in my driving pipes. I can't always pay as much attention to a lit pipe while driving, sometimes I'm busy giving other drivers helpful suggestions. That said, I am curious to try Brigham rock maple system.

Some of my cobs take them. I tend to use filters only in my driving pipes. I can't always pay as much attention to a lit pipe while driving, sometimes I'm busy giving other drivers helpful suggestions. That said, I am curious to try Brigham rock maple system.

I am currently one bowl into a Brigham pipe with the system.

Drawing on the pipe, I find know perceptible difference with an empty bowl between filter in place and no filter in place. There is an audible hiss that is louder "with" the filter, but that could just be the pipe's design.

More later.

Last edited:
My new Savinelli pipe uses a 9mm balsa wood filter which so far seems to be ok. I think it's good that it filters out some of the impurities and chemicals.

The manufactures design is whatever you buy, filter or no filter.

What I meant was, if it comes with a filter installed, then that is how I will use it. Not sophisticated enough (yet) to figure out which way I prefer a given pipe. Until that time, I figure the manufacturer is not going to install something that makes the smoking experience LESS enjoyable.

But hey . . . YMMV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used the paper ones. But I was so cheap I let them go too long between changes.

The longer I smoked pipes, I noticed the less I reached for pipes designed for filters.

I'm only about 4 months into my piping journey but I've pulled the stingers out of the couple of pipes that came with them and whipped out the paper ones that came in the cobs I have. I like a nice open draw and everything that's in the tobacco. I did find the cob filters useful for the first week or so after I started smoking a pipe as I had a tendency to draw too hard and pull hot tobacco particles into my mouth near the end of the bowl but I soon got over that. :)

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm only about 4 months into my piping journey but I've pulled the stingers out of the couple of pipes that came with them and whipped out the paper ones that came in the cobs I have. I like a nice open draw and everything that's in the tobacco. I did find the cob filters useful for the first week or so after I started smoking a pipe as I had a tendency to draw too hard and pull hot tobacco particles into my mouth near the end of the bowl but I soon got over that. :)

Once you get good at it, the best filter is the dottle at the bottom of the bowl ... at least for me.

What I found with filters are restricted draw, less taste, and a damp shank.

Conversely, I know a few pipers who swear by filters, so who am I to argue.

Always do what works for you. It's ultimately about your pleasure.

If I buy a pipe and it has a filtration system, that's the first thing that I remove. I want the full taste of the tobacco that I'm smoking. Choose your tobacco carefully and you won't need filters!

In my driving cobs, I like the filter for those times when I'm a little wet mouthed. It keeps any moisture on the correct side of the filter. Keeps anything I might add from running to the tobacco. And keeps tobacco juice from running into my mouth. But that's only for driving and fishing cobs. Any other pipe, snatch that paper filter out so quick! Often before the change is back in my wallet.

Top Bottom