What's new

How do you compare these bargain brands of shaving cream?

High cost does not mean superior performance. These creams were made for the every man in their countries of origin and work just fine.

9 out of 10 people will not spend the amount of money on or search out the products like members of these forums are willing to do. It's just shaving to them, nothing more and these products work well.

I'm certain someone will respond with "yea but I had a skin reaction" which is entirely your problem and does not mean the whole world is having the same response to a product.

If the men of Turkey do have a reaction, then they just choose another shave item in the supermarket and move on. Just like every other man in the USA would do who is not a board member.

Dear Gents in this forum,
My all-time favorite cream is DR Harris.
I often want to add some varieties but do want to break my wallet.
I am now considering the following cream.
1. Proraso Single Blade
2. Vitos
3. La Toja
4. Palmolive
5. Arko
6. Derby
7. Lea

I appreciate your inputs heartily.
My favorites are Stephans Smooth Shave Cream and ProShave cream. Inexpensive and very fine shaves.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Cyril R Salter creams. Very reasonably priced and great performance during and post shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Which scent? I particularly like their Indian Sandalwood and the Wild Rose.
Rose.
I’m regretting not buying more flavors but I kept my purist 20 included shipping to try it. It’s so fantastic. I just got a bouquet of roses yesterday too and the scent is so spot on it’s crazy. And not at all overly perfume scent.

Rose.
I’m regretting not buying more flavors but I kept my purist 20 included shipping to try it. It’s so fantastic. I just got a bouquet of roses yesterday too and the scent is so spot on it’s crazy. And not at all overly perfume scent.

Yes. And an earthy scent I couldn't quite put my finger on. Great stuff! Glad you're enjoying it.
Plenty of time to try others.

Edit: Connaught Shaving has great pricing on these.

Last edited:
My other favorite "Bargain Brand" creams: (that all punch way above their weight...)
Speick
Cella EEB
Ach. Brito Mogno
Ach. Brito Lavanda

+1 for Mogno. It’s my daily driver.

I also liked Cella Extra Extra Bio, both scent and performance. The only problem was that it irritated my face (not common, from what I’ve read).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes. And an earthy scent I couldn't quite put my finger on. Great stuff! Glad you're enjoying it.
Plenty of time to try others.

Edit: Connaught Shaving has great pricing on these.
I’m looking at other flavors
Any other recommendations

I’m looking at other flavors
Any other recommendations

If you like Desert Vetiver I quite like theirs. Definitely the Indian Sandalwood. If you like Almond definitely recommend that. Summer scents their Sublime Citrus is just that -- sublime.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If you like Desert Vetiver I quite like theirs. Definitely the Indian Sandalwood. If you like Almond definitely recommend that. Summer scents their Sublime Citrus is just that -- sublime.
Thanks
I’ve got a lot of other lime or citrus so I
Might go sandalwood
But I do
Like almond. And hmmm vetiver
How would you describe desert vetiver?

Thanks
I’ve got a lot of other lime or citrus so I
Might go sandalwood
But I do
Like almond. And hmmm vetiver
How would you describe desert vetiver?

It's rather unique. Earthy, smoky, hints of leather. Definitely an acquired taste for some.

Interesting
Decisions decisions 😀

Just noticed Connaught has samples. A bit pricey but beats committing to something you might not like:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just noticed Connaught has samples. A bit pricey but beats committing to something you might not like:

Thanks

Lea
Palmolive
Ach Brito Lavanda
Musgo Real

never tried La Toja, hear good things.

Unfortunately, Musgo Real does not fall into the “does not break my wallet” criterion that the OP mentioned.
Depending on where you live, you could however replace Musgo Real with Musgo shaving soap, which is really outstanding.

Lea, I was never impressed with, but La Toja shaving creams or shaving stick (particularly when travelling) do a great job.

Palmolive, impressive for the price - if you can find it in a local drugstore and are not charged an import premium.

European shaving enthusiasts clearly have an advantage here…

Re Proraso:
Their (at that time green, white, and red) products dropped out of my rotation years ago.
IMO everyone into classic wet-shaving owes it to himself to experience the classic 1948 post-war green Proraso once in their lifetime, but beyond that Proraso is really not much to write home about.

Just my 2 cts…

B.

Top Bottom