What's new

How do you compare these bargain brands of shaving cream?

In addition to Proraso Single Blade, you might want to consider the new Proraso Super Formula, which is every bit as good, and slightly less expensive.

(If you like DRH, in all probability you'd also like some of the other English classics: T&H, GFT.)

Of the creams on your list, Palmolive, La Toja, and LEA are all in my rotation and are excellent. I have one of those gigantic professional-size tubes of Vitos' Tobacco cream, and it's okay, but the stuff hardened up in the tube long before I could get many uses out of it. For that reason I can't recommend it, but the cream itself was okay, just not as floral as Tabac, which is a ding against it in my consideration.

I would add Ach Brito's Lavanda and Speick to your list, along with Barbon and Figaro, two great Hungarian creams. If you like menthol (I don't) you could try Williams Ice Blue cream; it's quite inexpensive and lathers well. I've tried a few Proraso varieties and was not impressed with any of them.

Excellent! I have not used Arko from a tube, just haven't found a reason to try it. The price point is higher if I recall correctly.

My youngest son bought the Arko in a bowl (small red bowl) and I think it's different than the shave sticks. Or at least it doesn't seem to perform as well (or we don't load it right).

My daily driver is Arko but I do rotate in various soaps, but when I need the shave to be perfect it's Arko.

Not that I want to interrupt a cream thread, but Arco stick can easily be shreded and pushed into a mug for mug and brush shaving, that's how I most enjoy Arco. To me it is very close in performance to Tabak.

Dear Gents in this forum,
My all-time favorite cream is DR Harris.
I often want to add some varieties but do want to break my wallet.
I am now considering the following cream.
1. Proraso Single Blade
2. Vitos
3. La Toja
4. Palmolive
5. Arko
6. Derby
7. Lea

I appreciate your inputs heartily.
If you like DRH you will love TOBS Aloe Vera. I'm a shill for it at this point. Nothing has come close to it at this point. People have told me about Cella Bio but the availability where I live is poor and it costs almost double so I can't tell you if it is the best aloe vera shave cream but I can tell you that it is fantastic!! TOBS in general (minus a few scents that I found disagreeable) is basically slightly worse DRH performance wise but better scent wise. Arko is fantastic but does have a scent I've learnt that many hate (I don't). Derby is basically identical to Arko imo, performance and scent are similar and they have an almost identical price-point, I think there was a dollar seperating the two sticks...The rest I don't know. All seem good on paper though.

I tried Arko Creams (Sensitive, Hydrate, Comfort, Cool) and Derby Creams (Lemon and Menthol)

Derby Lemon: Smell like dishwashing detergent, leather is good. I applied the cream directly to my face and lathered on my face. The result is Ok.

Derby Menthol: No menthol scent, like a regular shaving cream scent. I applied the cream directly to my face and lathered on my face. The result is Ok.

Arko Scents is better, lather is one notch better but not big difference. Arko Cool scent is fresh and clean. Arko hydrate has a little menthol scent.

Both Derby and Arko protectiveness are OK may be Arko one notch better.

You may also consider Nivea shaving cream with the similar price range.

I use Palmolive pretty regularly and it’s performance is exceptional. The Lea is also an exceptional performer, with an incredibly pleasing scent but I don’t like menthol in my shave cream, so it gets used infrequently. Lastly, I use La Toja shave cream once in a while it’s a middling solid performer.

I like arko stick. Very cheap and easy to find. I love cella and read somewhere that it’s similar to vitos red. Both come in a 1 kg brick. Super cheap in bulk.
Oh..you said creams..never mind

Last edited:
I bought a blue tube of Proraso .I used it the day after a fat shave and was surprised at the post shave .It was quite good.

I have had proraso normal and single blade, Arko and Palmolive in the past nothing wrong with them.
Would most likely go for proraso wood and spice it is on the thin side but love it’s smell and the thin but slippery lather works great with milder razors. They have huge tubes and very small ones. Just be aware that 1-2g a face shave is normal use and creams can spoil faster when opened.

Which one for me to avoid meissner Tremonia wonderfull scents but not great for shaving and in a tub.

Never tried arko or a shaving stick... not even sure how you use a shave stick lol. Do you just apply like deodorant to your face and face lather?
Sort of...wet the face well, run some water over the end of the shave stick, apply a thin film of soap to the area that will be shaved, face lather with damp brush, add more water as needed, watch out for lather explosion.
:laugh:
It usually takes a few tries before you figure out how much soap to apply.

1. Proraso Single Blade
2. Vitos
3. La Toja
4. Palmolive
5. Arko
6. Derby
7. Lea

There was a barber on B&B a few months back singing the praises of Proraso Single Blade. It’s on my short list of creams to try.

1. Proraso Single Blade
2. Vitos
3. La Toja
4. Palmolive
5. Arko
6. Derby
7. Lea

Your lists lacks the very best one - Cella. No contest. And you won't break the bank 😀

Top Bottom