What's new

How do the most aggressive DE razors compare to a GEM Micromatic Open Comb SE razor?

They don't. DE and Gem blades are different and have different shaving characteristics. Because of the design of the blade, the razors are designed differently, and you would need a different technique when shaving with them. If you ask the question because you have an MMOC, get a DE and see for yourself. If you have a DE and want to know how it compares with an MMOC, get an MMOC and try it out.

They don't. DE and Gem blades are different and have different shaving characteristics. Because of the design of the blade, the razors are designed differently, and you would need a different technique when shaving with them. If you ask the question because you have an MMOC, get a DE and see for yourself. If you have a DE and want to know how it compares with an MMOC, get an MMOC and try it out.

My most aggressive DE razors that I currently own are the old model / more aggressive than the current production, Fatip Piccolo & Grande open comb razors, and the Gillette NEW Long Comb / LC. . . and the Gillette Black Beauty, Slim, & Fat Boy - cranked up to 9. I also own and and enjoy using the GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf SE razor, which is often described as the second most aggressive GEM SE razor. I regularly use all of the above razors, and I really like them all (I also really like my milder DE and SE razors as well). Of course, you must use SE razors at a much shallower angle than DE razors - using an SE razor is much like using a straight razor.

I am considering purchasing a GEM Micromatic Open Comb razor (which is supposed to be VERY AGGRESSIVE!!!). For those people that have used the GEM Micromatic Open Comb razor, I hope to find out from them how they would compare the GEM Micromatic Open Comb SE razor to the most aggressive DE razors - (or better yet, compare it to . . . "the old model / more aggressive than the current production, Fatip Piccolo & Grande open comb razors, and the Gillette NEW Long Comb / LC. . . and the Gillette Black Beauty, Slim, & Fat Boy - cranked up to 9.").

If used properly, the MMOC has less blade feel than the Piccolo, and probably gives a similar shave to the OLD type. They really are apples to oranges though.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
If you use it correctly it will be efficient not aggressive. If it seems aggressive then your angle is wrong.

I do not own any of the older DE razors that you mentioned above with the exception of the Fatboy. I do own a number of Gem razors including the MMOC and as a few have already said trying to compare a DE to a SE is hard from a shaving standpoint because of the very different angles used in both DE vs SE razors. I do have a R41 and a Timeless .95 OC and I can at least give you my opinion comparing these three. R41 demands attention and a lot more than either the MMOC or Timeless. A BBS shave always happens for me with it as I've got it dialed in. I'd have to say the MMOC is much easier to shave with and although it has a reputation as being aggressive I find it very efficient rather than aggressive. and it does not demand the attention the R41 requires and not a razor to be afraid of IMO. Comparing it against my TImeless .95 is a very close match. Both have given me effortless BBS shaves with little or no irritation. They both have good glide with the edge going to the Timeless as it has the best glide of any razor I've ever shaved with. To be clear the MMOC is not a mindless shaver and yes you do have to pay attention to your shave but it's very maneuverable which I really like, love the Gem blades and it's very easy to load. For me it was love at first shave with the MMOC and it was the razor that started my collection of other Gem razors. It remains in my top 5 as far as best overall shaving razor in my den. You can find and buy them on the internet for anywhere from $6.00 all the way up to $60.00 and in fact I bought about 8 of them looking for two that were in pristine conditon that would become lifetime keepers. I found them and one I'm keeping as is and the other I'm having plated in Rhodium. I've got one daily shaver I use which is in great shape and the rest I've cleaned up, sterilized and polished and are now 4 up on ebay and they are all in good shape for their age. BTW they do clean up nicely. Do yourself a favor and get yourself one. Gem hit one out of the ballpark with the MMOC IMO and trust me you will not regret having one in your den one bit as it's an amazing razor.
Hope that helped

Last edited:
If you use it correctly it will be efficient not aggressive. If it seems aggressive then your angle is wrong.
+1 No such thing as aggressive or mild. Only efficient or needing more skill. Truthfully, if you do okay with a MMCP, the MMOC will not be a problem.

Take everything you read on this thread with a grain of salt. We're all different. And I'm probably way out there...

The apples and oranges comments are spot on, in my book. DE and Gem-blade razors are night and day (to borrow another cliche). The DE has a broader range of shaving angles; the SE requires a very shallow angle (top cap close to the face).

For me, the open comb (MMOC) or quasi-open comb (1907 Lather Catcher, 1912, 1914 or 1924) Gem-blade razors all shave about the same. I don't find any of them aggressive, although all are efficient. The straight bar Gem-blade razors do not give me a close shave, hard as I try.

Similarly, vintage Gillette DE razors, including a Slim cranked to 9, both types of Old Types and News, and a Red Tip, cannot deliver a truly close shave in my hand, hard as I try and as much as I want them to. What generally works for me in the DE world is a "blade-forward" razor, such as a Le Coq caged comb (see my avatar), an ATT H2, an Ikon Shavecraft Tech, a PAA DOC Evo stainless, an R41 2011, and a few others.

I also get nice shaves from a few less blade-forward DEs, including a Blackbird open comb, Timeless .95 open comb and a Rockwell 6S with the #6 base plate.

Good luck with your RAD!

I agree that it is hard to compare.
In my experience, it is much more pleasant to shave with an MMOC than with a really aggressive DE razor. I don't find the MMOC uncomfortable in any way. I can use it as a daily shaver without any problems whatsoever. If anything, I think it is both more efficient and gentler than any aggressive DE on the market.
You have to know how to use it. You have to use it as though you were shaving with a straight razor. If you do that, the shave will astound you. Smooth, comfortable, close. Just a superb shaver. Perhaps the best shaving razor I have ever used, and I've used a LOT of razors.

I agree that it is hard to compare.
In my experience, it is much more pleasant to shave with an MMOC than with a really aggressive DE razor. I don't find the MMOC uncomfortable in any way. I can use it as a daily shaver without any problems whatsoever. If anything, I think it is both more efficient and gentler than any aggressive DE on the market.
You have to know how to use it. You have to use it as though you were shaving with a straight razor. If you do that, the shave will astound you. Smooth, comfortable, close. Just a superb shaver. Perhaps the best shaving razor I have ever used, and I've used a LOT of razors.
Do you stretch your skin to the extent that most guys do with a strait razor?

Top Bottom