What's new

How did you guys get into wet shaving?

I started shaving at 12 and was taught by my older brother. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones in that all I’ve ever done is wet shaving. I started with a 1967 Gillette Slim Adjustable, that I still have to this day. After 42 years of shaving I can say wet shaving is the way to go.

My entry was slow. On my honeymoon in the last century, I (we) went to London. I bought a shaving brush and a shaving soap. The soap I hated, the brush lasted 15+ years. With the brush, and cartridge shaving, I explored shaving creams. I loved the feel of easily lathering soap and putting it on my face.

In 2010, I finally looked at getting a DE razor. I wish I could remember why. Maybe cartridge cost? Maybe since I was already lathering with a brush, a random article struck the right note. No matter what, I bought my first DE that year. It was a revelation. My spouse loved my shaves too. Four years later, I bought a second razor. A more expensive one. This did not work so well. I went back to my first, cheaper one. The dark times set in, perhaps DE shaving was not special. A good brush and soap/cream is all you need.

Then?

I discovered B&B. Thanks ;). I am richer and poorer now. But without a doubt on the overwhelmingly positive side in terms of improving my quality of life. For a few dollars more (1/10/100) (yes, hear the music in your head), I now enjoy shaving. I look forward to it. I wake up earlier to do it (sorry, never did that for exercise).

How did I start? It was the brush, and getting away from canned goop and using creams. Even with a cartridge, you can enjoy shaving more, and that's the slick/slippery slope to wet shaving enjoyment.

My entry was slow. On my honeymoon in the last century, I (we) went to London. I bought a shaving brush and a shaving soap. The soap I hated, the brush lasted 15+ years. With the brush, and cartridge shaving, I explored shaving creams. I loved the feel of easily lathering soap and putting it on my face.

In 2010, I finally looked at getting a DE razor. I wish I could remember why. Maybe cartridge cost? Maybe since I was already lathering with a brush, a random article struck the right note. No matter what, I bought my first DE that year. It was a revelation. My spouse loved my shaves too. Four years later, I bought a second razor. A more expensive one. This did not work so well. I went back to my first, cheaper one. The dark times set in, perhaps DE shaving was not special. A good brush and soap/cream is all you need.

Then?

I discovered B&B. Thanks ;). I am richer and poorer now. But without a doubt on the overwhelmingly positive side in terms of improving my quality of life. For a few dollars more (1/10/100) (yes, hear the music in your head), I now enjoy shaving. I look forward to it. I wake up earlier to do it (sorry, never did that for exercise).

How did I start? It was the brush, and getting away from canned goop and using creams. Even with a cartridge, you can enjoy shaving more, and that's the slick/slippery slope to wet shaving enjoyment.
Fantastic story. I can sort of relate with not owning too many DE razors. As stated I started with my Merkur 38C HD. However for my birthday this past year I bought myself a pristine 1946 Gillette Aristocrat plated in 24K gold, with all original packaging (including the blade box). I have looked at a few different razors but can’t quite pull the trigger as of now. I just absolutely adore this razor. When I get around to it I’ll probably get a Gillette superspeed First. (Always had my eyes on that razor) maybe a fat boy, or if I can find a good British Aristocrat I think I would be all in. For now though with 3 daughters and my youngest a week old it’ll probably be a good while until I can get a new one. For now I’m learning to love boar brushes because I can’t afford Silvertip’s for a while either. (Just invested in 4 quality boar brushes to ease the pain, and I think I actually love the break in process with a boar better than a badger. Gives it more character IMHO)

Last edited:
This is what I wrote in the "Who taught you?" thread:

"My Dad taught me. I had a fairly healthy moustache at 14, so he decided it was time for me to start shaving. He gave me a tour of his razors (a 1964 Slim Adjustable, a '53 English Ball-End Tech, and a mid-'60s Schick L1 Injector) and showed me how to lather up using a late-'50s Victoria boar brush and a regular bar of soap (Dial Gold in the shiny gold foil wrapper).

Then, it was my turn. I chose the Slim because it looked fancy, and painted my whole face with lather. Despite cutting myself up, I was hooked by wet shaving.

Anyway, I still have the Slim... and recently inherited the Tech, two Victoria brushes, and various other shaving items. I still occasionally use the Slim and Tech, although not as much as I used to because of RAD and other disorders inflicted on me by the nefarious band of ceaseless enablers on this forum. But, those selfsame enablers also continue to teach me things about shaving that I didn't know, so I can't be too mad at them. ;)"

That's how I got into it. I always feel close to my Dad when I use his razors. And because he taught me what I needed to know, I consider the act of shaving itself as a special activity.

This is what I wrote in the "Who taught you?" thread:

"My Dad taught me. I had a fairly healthy moustache at 14, so he decided it was time for me to start shaving. He gave me a tour of his razors (a 1964 Slim Adjustable, a '53 English Ball-End Tech, and a mid-'60s Schick L1 Injector) and showed me how to lather up using a late-'50s Victoria boar brush and a regular bar of soap (Dial Gold in the shiny gold foil wrapper).

Then, it was my turn. I chose the Slim because it looked fancy, and painted my whole face with lather. Despite cutting myself up, I was hooked by wet shaving.

Anyway, I still have the Slim... and recently inherited the Tech, two Victoria brushes, and various other shaving items. I still occasionally use the Slim and Tech, although not as much as I used to because of RAD and other disorders inflicted on me by the nefarious band of ceaseless enablers on this forum. But, those selfsame enablers also continue to teach me things about shaving that I didn't know, so I can't be too mad at them. ;)"

That's how I got into it. I always feel close to my Dad when I use his razors. And because he taught me what I needed to know, I consider the act of shaving itself as a special activity.
Sounds like your father was a good man. I think a part of all of us wants to have that son to teach and hopefully follow in his footsteps of DE shaving, and all of its glory.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If only these 4x12's were easy to get rid of.

Im down to one vintage Marshall 4x12, and a couple of smaller cabs now. Had sold about a dozen guitar and bass cabs in the last two years. Down to two bass cabs as well. Got another round of stuff gonna go on the block in March. The best part about the shaving collection is that I could probably fit the whole collection is a large size plastic tub if I had to. The music gear takes up about 1000 sq ft of space. So the wife sees this as an improvement. Progress is good. :001_cool:

I started shaving with a black Slim at about the time Track 2 came out. My dad shaved with a DE and a roll of toilet paper, hence he was not much of a shaving guide. I tried to figure out the Slim, but being young, I figured if you didn’t open it up all the way, you were not a man. Predictable failure awaited. I would have been better served with a non-adjustable razor.

After a while, I tried the Track 2 and could at least not cut myself up. I stuck with carts for many years until one day, the system I was using ceased production. I looked at the prices of the new system‘s replacement carts and said enough is enough.

By this time I had inherited my grandfather’s straight, so I tried it. I did pretty well until it got dull. I had it resharpened and talked to the guy who did the service. He got me thinking about DEs. The rest is history. I still don’t do a good straight service, so I have a Feather shavette for that duty. My main 3 razors are a 1934 Aristocrat, a 1912 and the Feather shavette. Which I use is up to the mood of the moment.

Many a year back the Art of Shaving (TM) (R) (C) (Etc) opened up a storefront in the mall. I didn't know it at the time, but I was walking through the mall for something else, and this lady at a random kiosk for some snake oil skin stuff said my face looked red and irritated (I had shaved the morning of, and I didn't think I was too bad off, but I guess I was lol).

I politely listened to her a minute or two because this was the days of being patient and kind with people. I saw the AoS store a few minutes later, and saw shaving brushes, and creams and razors all laid out pretty, and thought to myself, maybe there's a better way...

Went into the store, talked to the lady, who said "no matter what you use, lather your face again before you run the razor over it again" among other shaving advice.

I poked around the store and saw 100-200 dollar Gillette cartridge handles, hundred dollar brushes, fifty dollar shaving cream, and listened to the rest of the spiel.

I walked out of there feeling quite poor.

Bought my first Parker badger brush for like $25-30 and TOBS cream for around $13 the next day, and never looked back.

I started wet shaving a couple years ago because my job requires me to be clean shaved every day. I started out with an electronic razor, but that was not a close enough shave for my job. I used a Fusion 5 blade razor that I had, but I kept getting the worst razor burn.

I started doing some research and found that aerosol creams may be the reason. So I went to Walmart and bought a tube of Cremo shaving cream and a Vander Hagen DE razor. I noticed the irritation was not quite as severe, but it was still there after every shave.

The next thing I did was research aftershave and found B&B. I joined this forum and then started learning about soaps, brushes, and straight razors. So I bought a Dovo 5/8, TOBS Sandalwood soap, Proraso Red, a strop. and a silvertip badger brush. I have not had any problems with irritation, and I have not looked back.

Since then I have bought another straight razor, a few brushes, and a lot of different soaps. The next acquisition on my list is a shave scuttle.

I do not think I have "saved" as much money as I was reading about when I first got into wet shaving, but I sure am having a lot of fun with it. My wife is pregnant with our first and it is a boy, so when the time comes I will introduce him to wet shaving so that he doesn't have to deal with multi blade cartridges like I did.

I started wet shaving a couple years ago because my job requires me to be clean shaved every day. I started out with an electronic razor, but that was not a close enough shave for my job. I used a Fusion 5 blade razor that I had, but I kept getting the worst razor burn.

I started doing some research and found that aerosol creams may be the reason. So I went to Walmart and bought a tube of Cremo shaving cream and a Vander Hagen DE razor. I noticed the irritation was not quite as severe, but it was still there after every shave.

The next thing I did was research aftershave and found B&B. I joined this forum and then started learning about soaps, brushes, and straight razors. So I bought a Dovo 5/8, TOBS Sandalwood soap, Proraso Red, a strop. and a silvertip badger brush. I have not had any problems with irritation, and I have not looked back.

Since then I have bought another straight razor, a few brushes, and a lot of different soaps. The next acquisition on my list is a shave scuttle.

I do not think I have "saved" as much money as I was reading about when I first got into wet shaving, but I sure am having a lot of fun with it. My wife is pregnant with our first and it is a boy, so when the time comes I will introduce him to wet shaving so that he doesn't have to deal with multi blade cartridges like I did.
Great story. Congratulations on the new baby on the way! Make sure to rest up as much as you can before the labor process and good luck!

For me it was lucky coincidence. I too was suffering from bad shaves since day 1 but with exception that I did not know it. When puberty broke out 2 things happened to my neck. 1st was hair growth and 2nd was acne/whiteheads...we are talking loads of them, sometimes on my temples like 4 or 5 merged an it hurt so bad I could not sleep on that side of face. I had chewed up neck all the time but I just assumed all those red bumps are acne/whiteheads rather than ingrowns and irritation. I must add my "shaving teacher" was horrible. I was taught by my mothers boyfriend, who is awesome guy and we are really close but darn it here he was no help at all. He went with me to the store and helped me pick up some canned gel and mach3 (later i followed the trend MORE MORE MORE blades). He said to me: you just lather it up on wet face and shave it off. And I of curse dragged that thing acros my face like I was plowing a field. I don't blame him though...his skin is not sensitive to shaving an he can get BBS with almost no iritation from mach 3 and hand soap.

So in my early 20s I came across an add for custom straight razor in a magazine and next to it was also link to a shaving forum from my country. I did some reading and I got hooked on the idea of ultimate comfortable close shaves the guys on the forum raved about and of course I liked the notion one could save money with DE razors. Some research and soon I was armed with Wilkinson sword plastic razor, their synthetic brush (OUCH scrubbed my face pretty hard) and tube of Nivea shaving cream. At the time that was ONLY DE razor I could get locally and we had like 2 or 3 DE blades and pretty much same anount of brushes, soaps and creams. Since I did not have ANY idea about prep and tehnique I butchered my face with this set up but I did not quit. I started googling the **** out of it and soon found B&B and internet stores with shaving supplies. After that I got myself pre-assembled kit (tub of green Proraso, Omega boar, alum stick, blade sampler and Edwin Jagger DE89l). While I was waiting on my package I read all I could on prep and technique and with arrival of my package this wonderfull journey of trying out different products, blades, razors and tehniques began.

"You only need one blade."

My introduction to wet shaving was that guy from Pawn Stars endorsing the "Microtouch One". A Weishi. A knock-off of the Super Speed.

On a whim, I walked four blocks to a Walgreens, found their "As Seen on TV" section, and bought one.

The subsequent shave had me thinking, "Why did we ever stop shaving this way!!!???".

I started traditional shaving back in 1956 when there were only a few options: DE, SE, and injectors. My father gave me his old Tech razor to start and after about a year I bought a Gillette 195 adjustable now known as a Fat Boy.

Coworker tossed a Gillette Super Speed razor and some astra blades on my desk at work and told me to start shaving like an adult.

Which then lead to a google search for “shaving forums” keen on digging up info, and I landed here.

I’ll never give up DE shaving, every morning I feel great because deep down inside I feel satisfaction knowing that I’m carrying on a time honored tradition. I feel the same way with a straight razor too!

I was using cartridges in college. Mach 3, schick quatro, etc.. After college for about 5 years don't really remember what I was using, I guess the shaves weren't memorable at all. Then started using disposables, maybe seeking better performance or lower cost, don't remember. Was using good news pivot plus for a bunch of years and was getting pretty good shaves. I think that is when I started using oil to shave. I think I was looking at a way to go cheaper and maybe even get a better shave and that's how I came across de shaving.

First three razors were de89, feather popular, and lord l6. Tried a few blades but really like shark super chrome and bought a 100 pack. Next bought an Ikon 101 and love it, still probably my favorite razor. Hated the feather popular. Like the lord L6. De89 I think was pretty good for me but stopped using 100% after getting ikon. I have to go back and try it. Still have 2 bags of the good news pivot plus in closet haha.

Was happy with my ikon for a long time but just recently started exprimenting more. Bought a bunch of new razors and blades. I get great shaves with oil and can never get as good with soaps or creams but I bought a few to try. Will try to get a nice lather with a bowl.

Fun hobby and when you get that perfect shave it is a great start to the day!

Coworker tossed a Gillette Super Speed razor and some astra blades on my desk at work and told me to start shaving like an adult.

Which then lead to a google search for “shaving forums” keen on digging up info, and I landed here.

I’ll never give up DE shaving, every morning I feel great because deep down inside I feel satisfaction knowing that I’m carrying on a time honored tradition. I feel the same way with a straight razor too!

Why, in my mind, does this co-worker of yours look and sound like either John Wayne or Clint Eastwood?

I have observed the faces of my younger co-workers close up, and have deduced they are shower shavers.

They miss spots.

But I'm not prepared to preach. Just because I changed my shaving name from Saul to Paul doesn't mean I'm going out on the road to become a shaving "fisher of men".

Top Bottom