What's new

How did you guys get into wet shaving?

I'm a hydrogeologist in the environmental field. If people had any conception of how contaminated our soil, water (surface water and groundwater), and air REALLY are, they would completely flip out and start taking genuine notice of the irreversible impacts we (industrialized humans) have had and are having (at an ever accelerated rate) on our fragile planet. I simply got tired of being part of the problem by throwing away countless disposal plastic razors and all the plastic packaging they come in. DE wet shaving was/is part of a broad encompassing decision I have personally made to incur as little environmental impact on what's left of the world as possible. The end result was FAR better shaves, a MUCH more pleasurable shave experience, and a net REDUCTION in my generation of plastic/hydrocarbon waste. A truly sustainable win, win, win!!!

Me neither! The serial collector in me took over and now i literally have hundreds of razors, and a ton of other software and hardware. But I started collecting the razors at a time where I was trying to break myself of a terrible guitar collecting habit. I was buy a couple of guitars a month for a long time, and amassed a pretty sizable collection of instruments, amps, pedal, and all that stuff. So the shaving habit literally replaced a much more expensive hobby. And has allowed me to not only stop buying guitars, but also to liquidate a lot of the collection. So effectively i am saving money. Just not on shaving! :cool:
Dude. dude. I'm with you. I still have multiple preamps that cost the same as 14 Blackbirds. I can buy 100 soaps for the price I was spending every month on guitars and amps. Shaving definitely helped tame my music spending. I've been able to liquidate some stuff as well. If only these 4x12's were easy to get rid of.

Great thread, man. I've enjoyed reading everyone's story, including yours.

I probably could have made mine longer, but I try to be brief.

I probably left out the best part; I found my Late Maternal Grandpa's Gillette 70's Knack DE in the attic while my Merkur was in transit. I grabbed some Personna blades at the grocery store the day I got my Target Proraso stuff (also procured in the meantime whilst awaiting my Classic order). I went home and took that first brave step into rubbing a razor blade down my cheek. It cut like butter, and the Proraso green smelled like some type of country club locker room. My first DE shave was a smashing success. Amazing......

Fast forward to receiving the Merkur stuff.
Merkur blade was TERRIBLE.
Merkur 23C wasn't as good as the vintage Gillette
Classic soaps didn't lather at all compared to the proraso cream or soap.

BUT........................Even with this small defeat, I KNEW I was on the right track because of Grandpa's Gillette and the Proraso cornucopia. Okay. I feel better now. That's the rest of the story.
Let it all out man. It’s okay to show your sensitive side. :lol::thumbup:

Back in the mid '60s, my Dad used a Blue Tip. To be different, I went with a Schick Injector.

When I went away to college, every September they distribute these toiletries packs for about $1.00 or so. Those packs always included a cartridge razor. So I switched - newer is better, right? Later on, after following the market all the way up to Fusions, I found that I got at least as good a shave from an old Sensor Excel as from the 5 blade face grater, and returned to the 2-blade Excel because the cartridges were cheaper.

About 2015, I got curious about the old DE razors and started researching them. By 2016, my wife had gotten sick of me looking at DE razors without buying them, and gave me a Merkur 23c. I loved it, and when it broke 2 months later (zamak razor vs. ceramic tile floor - tile wins every time.), I bought myself a BET and a Fendrihan stainless Mk. I.

That's when the White Rabbit started beckoning to me.....
RIP Merkur 23c. (b.2016-d.2016) Your sacrifice for the good of wetshavers everywhere will never be forgotten.

Only ever used electric razor....tired of it after 30+ years and the "meh" results it gave me.

I like certain time aged methods of doing things and so it seemed a natural move for me....and I can pamper myself which I deserve.

I think anytime you can take a daily “chore” that you either don’t enjoy or flat out dread doing, and make it enjoyable to the point of therapeutic, whatever your method may be, it serves as an amazing outlook on life in General. It serves as an important reminder to all of us to simply enjoy every day, and every shave that you can. Never take it for granted. Before long we will all have to pass our torches to the future generations. Because tomorrow is never promised to any of us. So let the good times roll.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Like everyone else it was to save money...

Actually, that's not true at all. Here's an early post I wrote with some history bits, but it's really two things mostly.
  • Seeking a very close shave, long lasting, smooth, very very smooth.
  • Seeking a DCS (see the post linked, thread title).
  • Seeking to replicate the best shaves ever, the shaves delivered by old time, experienced, pro barbers, using, as you'd guess, straight razors.
Here I am, way down several deep rabbit holes shaving most all the time with straight razors, honing them, and trying to determine whether to sell things I don't really use (but like looking at, sorta kinda).

1579039814061.png

Oh, and don't neglect to mention this: Saving Tons. As in saving vintage razors by the ton, razors otherwise destined, assuming the city dump is a destination.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Only ever used electric razor....tired of it after 30+ years and the "meh" results it gave me.

I like certain time aged methods of doing things and so it seemed a natural move for me....and I can pamper myself which I deserve.
I have to agree with that. there are somethings that are just better about the old ways, I think it’s just a sense of accomplishment when doing things with your hands but there is also the the pride in you work that they had back then that a lot of people my age don’t have. ( I’m 26)

I think anytime you can take a daily “chore” that you either don’t enjoy or flat out dread doing, and make it enjoyable to the point of therapeutic, whatever your method may be, it serves as an amazing outlook on life in General. It serves as an important reminder to all of us to simply enjoy every day, and every shave that you can. Never take it for granted. Before long we will all have to pass our torches to the future generations. Because tomorrow is never promised to any of us. So let the good times roll.

That is one PROFOUND post LOL Enjoy everyday, even down to every shave...…… wisdom in them words, I like it

When I started shaving, cartridge razors and foam or gel out of a can were the norm, so that's what I started with. My face, and especially my neck, took offense at every cartridge/foam/gel combination I tried. Back then I worked in food service and/or retail for employers that insisted on daily shaving. My face and neck was continuously red and irritated. I eventually tried electric razors with similar results. When I moved on to a job where I could grow a beard, I did so and stopped shaving for several years.

Then one day I rented a horror movie - 13 Gantry Row. In it, a guy who was renovating his house found a straight razor in a wall. He went out and bought all the stuff he needed to use it, and found a barber to give him a tutorial. I mistakenly thought that no one used straight razors anymore and that it seemed unlikely he would be able to find supplies and a teacher that easily. A little online searching proved me wrong, at least about the first point. I became intreagued, and eventually gave a straight razor a try. I now have two straights, both of which need honing. When they got to that point, I gave DEs a try. A couple of years ago a Remington heritage series electric razor caught my eye on Amazon. It's styled like the electric razors from the 1950s. Unfortunately, they ruined the style by using a micro USB connection for the charger. I picked one up, intending to only to use it on the occasions when I didn't have time for a three to four pass DE shave. Before I knew it, I was using it exclusively. I was never happy with the results, but sacrificed shave quality for temporal efficiency and convenience. Just recently I came to my senses and started getting back into DE shaving. The results are worth making the time for.

The older I get, the more I realize that many tools/techniques of times gone by are/were way ahead of their modern counterparts. I love learning older ways of doing things. That combined with YouTube is a dangerous combination. I have more hobbies than I have time for, and keep finding more. I write with and collect fountain pens. I mow my yard with a scythe. I've taken an introduction to blacksmithing class. At the moment I'm exploring stained glass, and wood carving.

I had been using a Gillette sensor excel razor and one day a few months ago I told my wife to get me some cartridges from the mall. She returned with a fusion skinguard razor telling me that sensor will not be sold any more in my country and that the salesman suggested that as the closest alternative.
I gave it a try and ended up looking like I had a 2 day growth, having also some annoying irritation looking like razor bumps in my neck that lasted for a few days. I was so annoyed in the prospect of paying twice the money for fusion cartridges to get such result that I got to do some internet research and decided to try de shaving
My first razor was a Merkur 34c. The whole shaving process is so enjoyable and relaxing for me that while until then I avoided shaving out of boredom, I am now looking forward to it and feel lucky that I got this opportunity to discover de shaving. I got a Timeless SS 0.95 in Christmas and keep building my technique and trying different blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d mentioned a passing interest in using a safety razor and 5 Christmases ago, my wife got me a completely unexpected Sally DE razor, a pack of blades and a VDH starter set w/a cheap brush... scented luxury soap and a mug. Once I started... I just stuck with it, getting some better items as I went along.

Every Christmas since, I still shave with that very humble, poorly weighted and kind of aggressive razor who’s fake-Nickel plating is already peeling... just to remember where it all started.

So... it started from my wife, from a pretty random but awesome gift. Before that? I stared with an electric foil for a year or two... went to Mach 3... the to a fusion. Just following the herd.

When I started shaving, cartridge razors and foam or gel out of a can were the norm, so that's what I started with. My face, and especially my neck, took offense at every cartridge/foam/gel combination I tried. Back then I worked in food service and/or retail for employers that insisted on daily shaving. My face and neck was continuously red and irritated. I eventually tried electric razors with similar results. When I moved on to a job where I could grow a beard, I did so and stopped shaving for several years.

Then one day I rented a horror movie - 13 Gantry Row. In it, a guy who was renovating his house found a straight razor in a wall. He went out and bought all the stuff he needed to use it, and found a barber to give him a tutorial. I mistakenly thought that no one used straight razors anymore and that it seemed unlikely he would be able to find supplies and a teacher that easily. A little online searching proved me wrong, at least about the first point. I became intreagued, and eventually gave a straight razor a try. I now have two straights, both of which need honing. When they got to that point, I gave DEs a try. A couple of years ago a Remington heritage series electric razor caught my eye on Amazon. It's styled like the electric razors from the 1950s. Unfortunately, they ruined the style by using a micro USB connection for the charger. I picked one up, intending to only to use it on the occasions when I didn't have time for a three to four pass DE shave. Before I knew it, I was using it exclusively. I was never happy with the results, but sacrificed shave quality for temporal efficiency and convenience. Just recently I came to my senses and started getting back into DE shaving. The results are worth making the time for.

The older I get, the more I realize that many tools/techniques of times gone by are/were way ahead of their modern counterparts. I love learning older ways of doing things. That combined with YouTube is a dangerous combination. I have more hobbies than I have time for, and keep finding more. I write with and collect fountain pens. I mow my yard with a scythe. I've taken an introduction to blacksmithing class. At the moment I'm exploring stained glass, and wood carving.
You sir, are my new hero. That’s a pretty incredible story. I am glad you came back to us. However, I think it’s safe to say that you didn’t jump down the rabbit hole. I believe the rabbit hole jumped down on you. I must say as a fanatic of horror movies I might just rent the one you mentioned. Good sir, my hat I tip to you.

First of all, I’m sorry to hear about your mother in law. That was actually a pretty good, and unique story. Nothing like a vintage Gillette to bring you back into wet shaving. I’m sure she would be so happy somebody used the razor and takes care of it!
Thanks for your kind words, but I accidently dropped it and broke off one of the doors. That led me to trying many different razors, blades, and software before I found items to my liking.

I’d mentioned a passing interest in using a safety razor and 5 Christmases ago, my wife got me a completely unexpected Sally DE razor, a pack of blades and a VDH starter set w/a cheap brush... scented luxury soap and a mug. Once I started... I just stuck with it, getting some better items as I went along.

Every Christmas since, I still shave with that very humble, poorly weighted and kind of aggressive razor who’s fake-Nickel plating is already peeling... just to remember where it all started.

So... it started from my wife, from a pretty random but awesome gift. Before that? I stared with an electric foil for a year or two... went to Mach 3... the to a fusion. Just following the herd.
Keep that wife close, and love her unconditionally. I wish that I had my wife back when I started DE shaving. (I was 19/20, and I’m 25 now on my 3rd year marriage and have 3 beautiful daughters, 1 just a week old.) She hasn’t got me any shaving stuff since I am the head of household and my wife is a stay at home mom. However, she talked me Into getting a Georgetown pottery G20 scuttle for Christmas. I feel like we are both winners in the wife department in that aspect. I did recently convert her body wash over to stirling’s. So to get that free shipping daddy needs more shave soap. :thumbup:

Thanks for your kind words, but I accidently dropped it and broke off one of the doors. That led me to trying many different razors, blades, and software before I found items to my liking.
I’m sure she forgives you, and appreciates it acting as a gateway to your hobby of traditional wet shaving. As long as you keep it up, and enjoy it, the razor will have served it’s full purpose in total!

Top Bottom