What's new

Hot Sauce.

16 million, if I'm not mistaken, and that's about the highest you can get! To put it in perspective, I believe pepper spray is made from diluted 3 million scoville extract. So, yeah, it's a bit warm

i am terrified of it, i havent opened the case that contains another! case that contains the bottle in 5 years +!

After reading this thread a week or so ago, I have been putting Sriracha sauce on just about anything I can. I almost scared my 3 year old to death last night with the scream that came out of my mouth when she grabbed the bottle to use it thinking it was Ketchup, disaster averted....

View attachment 230037
http://www.defconsauces.com/

I have yet to find a better hot wing sauce than this stuff. All my guests always beg me to make them wings when they come over. You guys need to give this stuff a try. There's three levels of heat. I recommend condition 2 with a little bit of the condition 1 mixed in. They also sell this stuff called zero that will melt your face. I Cant believe I didn't know this thread existed. Glad to see other with my hot sauce obsession :001_tt1::drool::001_wub:

16 million, if I'm not mistaken, and that's about the highest you can get! To put it in perspective, I believe pepper spray is made from diluted 3 million scoville extract. So, yeah, it's a bit warm

$MISC-Blairs-16-Million-2.jpg

http://www.hotsauce.com/Blair-s-16-Million-Reserve-Crystals-p/misc-blairs-16-million.htm
This is the stuff that registers at 16mil. It is pure cap crystals. Not to be played with as it will kill a small child. Lol.

This thread has inspired me to pick up a bottle of sriracha tomorrow, hopefully they have it at the grocery near my place. I might have to take substantial drive down to whole foods or something.

Anyone in Canada know where I can get some?

This thread has inspired me to pick up a bottle of sriracha tomorrow, hopefully they have it at the grocery near my place. I might have to take substantial drive down to whole foods or something.

Anyone in Canada know where I can get some?

I've gotten it at the Bulk Barn and our "Your Independent Grocer" and imagine it might be carried by them from city to city.

I've gotten it at the Bulk Barn and our "Your Independent Grocer" and imagine it might be carried by them from city to city.

Thanks, I acquired some form Bulk Barn. I saw it at the Real Canadian Superstore, so I think its more widely available that I thought.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yep almost all stores in my area have it now. I used to have to go to an Asian market. I'm in Brampton. It is a great cheat for chili by the way.

Thanks to this thread I picked up some El Yucateco and the stuff is great. I found it in a local latino market for a great price too ($1.69). I now keep a few bottle of the red and green habanero sauce stocked and ready.

Well, since no one seems to have brought up the hottest of the hot, I think the naga jolokia a/k/a bhut jolokia deserves a mention here. This variety is considered to be the hottest (or possibly second hottest) in the world weighing in at 1,041,427 Scoville units. For comparison, tobasco is rated at 2,500-5,000 Scovilles. I have been experimenting with sauce derived from this pepper and found it to be quite flavorful with manageable heat.

This pepper is used in India as a homeopathic treatment for stomach disorders. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to write more about this pepper and its uses. I tend to use it in conjunction with Indian food because the pepper is from that part of the world. Best, Sam
Hah, it's funny how times change since this was posted. The Bhut Jolokia is now only the 4th hottest pepper. My Carolina Reaper plants promise an average of 1.4 million SHU, with a top range recorded at about 2.45 million.

In Indonesia they make a variety of sambals, which are chilli relishes: you can use them as a condiment or in the cooking process. If you are in an Asian supermarket pick up a jar of Sambal Oelek (it might be spelt Ulek). Oelek is the old Dutch word for the crushing produced from the flat Javanese mortar, and the sambal produced is basically a raw chilli paste. You can jazz it up with some salt and lime juice and it goes great with all sorts of food. The missus, who is Indonesian, takes this and fries it off in olive oil, which gives it a slightly fruity background, with tomato, salt and calamansi lime juice for me as she can't take such spiciness in her cooking nowadays(!)

If you want to make them yourself, then this page has a range: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

I would recommend the Balinese Sambal Matah, fantastic with grilled chicken.

Top Bottom