Hot Sauce.

Hoooooooooooooooooooold on...

What's the duck stuff?
proxy.php

Hoooooooooooooooooooold on...

What's the duck stuff?
proxy.php

Those are different brands.
I like the rooster brand a little better.
this is my favorite from the rooster:
proxy.php

Garlic Chile Sauce. Not quite as hot as the sriracha and a bit chunky(in a good way) but packs a wallop with flavor.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I have the Rooster too. I saw that jar beside the bottle. I might check that out too.

My local Weis Markets had a HUGE bottle of Crystal Hot Sauce on sale for $3...32 oz I think, glass bottle too. It looked pretty funny on the shelf with Tabasco-sized bottles surrounding it.

I was tempted but that bottle was too big if I don't like it.

proxy.php

Marie Sharps is my favourite brand of hot sauce. I think have some almost everyday. There are a number of different sauces for desired flavour and heat level, the green catcus is my favourite.

Last edited:
I have the Rooster too. I saw that jar beside the bottle. I might check that out too.

My local Weis Markets had a HUGE bottle of Crystal Hot Sauce on sale for $3...32 oz I think, glass bottle too. It looked pretty funny on the shelf with Tabasco-sized bottles surrounding it.

I was tempted but that bottle was too big if I don't like it.

definitely check out the garlic chile, its great to have both in the fridge!

Crystal is quite a bit similar to Franks Hot sauce. I use Crystal when making wings. 32oz is a lot and I like to switch it up a lot so I would probably buy a smaller bottle.

Crystal is great old brand and a nice change of pace from LA Hot Sause.

I have to get some of the Rooster Garlic to try. The regular Rooster is used to sup up cocktail sause and ketchup.

Well, since no one seems to have brought up the hottest of the hot, I think the naga jolokia a/k/a bhut jolokia deserves a mention here. This variety is considered to be the hottest (or possibly second hottest) in the world weighing in at 1,041,427 Scoville units. For comparison, tobasco is rated at 2,500-5,000 Scovilles. I have been experimenting with sauce derived from this pepper and found it to be quite flavorful with manageable heat.

This pepper is used in India as a homeopathic treatment for stomach disorders. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to write more about this pepper and its uses. I tend to use it in conjunction with Indian food because the pepper is from that part of the world. Best, Sam

:scared: I can't even imagine. I'm still a bit of a hot sauce/spicy stuff in general newbie myself. But I like what I've had and I'm working on increasing my tolerance.

Fun fact: in addition to foodstuff and homeopathy, it's also been weaponized by the Indian government.

I use Tabasco Chipotle on just about everything humans can consume, but especially on my breakfast omelette.

Trappey's Red Devil is low heat, but great flavor. I use it instead of sauce on smoked brisket.

Yucatan Sunshine is a bright, really hot habanero one.

And "Rooster" sauce for all my stir frys and Thai dishes.

All of the above plus red and green Tabasco go in my chili.

That's about it. My best friend up in SA must have 40 different hot sauces open at any one time, but most of them I can't even eat.

NANP™

I thought about starting a new thread, but a search pulled up this one.I am a hot sauce freak. At any given time there are about 10 bottles ranging in heat from ultra mild to ultra spicy. I have a sauce that you have to sign a waver to buy, but I also have a sauce with almost no heat. Currently my favorite brand is one made right here in my home town, by the name of Alabama Sunshine. They have a good range, from sweet, mild sauce to a high heat made with red savina habaneros. Also, I keep a bottle of Blairs Ultra Death around in case some idiot asks "Whats the hottest stuff you have? I bet I can take a spoon full!". Even I have trouble with a spoon full of that stuff.

I love spicy foods, having never found a sauce with a good flavor that was too hot(i have however found many that were just hot for the sake of being hot and had no flavor...useless) my favorite sauce that I have found is "Viper" by datil sensation, a local craftsman based in my hometown. it is a combination of ghost(bhut jolokia), scorpion, and viper peppers with nothing to cut the heat(sugars, onions, etc) i have about half of the case i bought from him left.

I walked in the house one night and heard my wife coughing in the kitchen. walked in and saw tears streaming down her face. when i asked her what was wrong, she said she washed off a plate that had that D@$! hot sauce on it and i was washing my own plates after that.

not for the faint of heart, but if you like hot stuff i HIGHLY recommend it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm a huge fan of Tabasco. Specially since they removed the Xarthan Gum from it. I'm having a hard time to get the 150ml here in Montreal as the size is perfect to decant an Aftershave after. The 350ml is a bit too bulky to my liking and the 57ml is good for traveling... Anyways...

I'm trying a Scotch Bonnet Sauce made by Grace at the moment, not bad at all. I used to love Louisiana hot sauce, but I can't find it lately. Frank's red hot used to be a regular but I still prefer Tabasco. I normally use a 150ml of Tabasco in 4-6 weeks.

All of the hot sauces mentioned are great - get one of each! I usually have half a dozen different varieties hanging around at any one time. It's just a matter of experimenting to find the one you like.

Had to add this one - http://www.alabamasunshine.com/ A friend's father makes it. Haven't had it in a few years, but it's always been good stuff.

I have visited that isle in Jungle Jims. The selection there is simply awesome, and I doubt that anyone can find a greater variety of hot sauces anywhere else. That store simply carries the greatest variety of food stuffs offered under any one roof here in the U.S. For instance, one isle is Red Mill products, with everything that Red Mill produces.

i have a bottle of Blairs 6am. its outrageousely hot i dont even use it anymore as im afraid of burning my skin. I once used 5% of a teaspoon in a whole pot of chilli and it was so hot i had to use a teaspoon of that chilli in other chilli batches to "season " it.. and it was still barely edible..

i think the stuff registers at over 12 million scollvilles

:|
proxy.php

My go to hotsauce is called "the pepper plant hot sauce" Its perfect. Has great flavor and the heat is just enough to let you know it's there. I use it on everything, from tacos and burritos to spaghetti sauce . It goes great on everything. Now the company that produces it is from a small town in Gilroy California. You can find it in some local restaurants in the bay area and central coast. I buy mine straight from the manufacturer by the case. Much cheaper that way. it's not really distributed nationally, but you can easily get it online.

i have a bottle of Blairs 6am. its outrageousely hot i dont even use it anymore as im afraid of burning my skin. I once used 5% of a teaspoon in a whole pot of chilli and it was so hot i had to use a teaspoon of that chilli in other chilli batches to "season " it.. and it was still barely edible..

i think the stuff registers at over 12 million scollvilles

:|
proxy.php

16 million, if I'm not mistaken, and that's about the highest you can get! To put it in perspective, I believe pepper spray is made from diluted 3 million scoville extract. So, yeah, it's a bit warm

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm in the market for some hot sauce. There's a store down the street that has a huge selection and I'd like to try out some new ones. Unfortunately, none of the clerks know much about them. I'm a fan of very spicy food, but I'm not necessarily looking for the hottest sauce possible--although I would be willing to pick up a bottle of that too. I've spent years zapping things with Tabasco and Texas Pete, and I periodically try other ones too. Any suggestions for something that is both hot and flavorful?

One of the most flavorful red sauces I have ever tasted, and my favorite, is Cholula. It is now imported into the US. Not as hot as some would like, but it is rich, savory, and aromatic. You can always add a dash of good ol tabasco if you want more fire. http://www.cholula.com/

Top Bottom