What's new

Home on the Range with the .300 B.O.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
24604904-4E29-4127-903E-F10CB80A1917.jpeg

I took my .300 Blackout to the range this morning for it's inaugural shoot. I had installed the adjustable gas block this AM and left it wide open, which was a mistake, as it left the gun "over gassed". Initial shooting was with Magtech 125 gr. supersonic rounds. Normally a "nose to charging handled" shooter, the over gassed condition precluded that, not painful, but VERY distracting! I was shooting mostly from the bench and using the bipod as I made initial sight adjustments, trying to eliminate as much human error as possible. I won't be keeping the bipod on long term, but I will be using it from the bench, especially when I get my scope mounted and do some load work ups, etc.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
2D6542FF-E28D-49E6-8D38-C555BC50EB20.jpeg

From only 15 yds. and off the bench, 20 rounds without any adjustment of the Troy Battle Sights. The Geissele SSA-E trigger is so sweet!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
4FECF428-E6AF-4AAE-A36A-C9822C659EF5.jpeg

Still just at 15 yds. from the bench, some adjustment of the windage, but no adjustment of elevation. I'll work on that next time at longer ranges.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
View attachment 1039717
3ED4751F-0103-407E-BE2F-7AA6DDB92829.jpeg

The results of a series of rapid double taps from low ready standing, still only at 15 yds. I think the over gassed condition didn't help much, at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I'll have to do much better in the match Wednesday!

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
From the movie Sandlot. The last name of one of the kids is Smalls. And the others were always saying to him, “You’re killing me Smalls.”

some sweet shooting.
Beautiful weapon.
You’re killing me Smalls!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sweet rifle! And I just love the round; .30 Carbine helped win WWII, this Blackout is its worthy grandson. So versatile in loading.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 1039708

I took my .300 Blackout to the range this morning for it's inaugural shoot. I had installed the adjustable gas block this AM and left it wide open, which was a mistake, as it left the gun "over gassed". Initial shooting was with Magtech 125 gr. supersonic rounds. Normally a "nose to charging handled" shooter, the over gassed condition precluded that, not painful, but VERY distracting! I was shooting mostly from the bench and using the bipod as I made initial sight adjustments, trying to eliminate as much human error as possible. I won't be keeping the bipod on long term, but I will be using it from the bench, especially when I get my scope mounted and do some load work ups, etc.

Lol'd. Been there done that. :)

View attachment 1039717

Still just at 15 yds. from the bench, some adjustment of the windage, but no adjustment of elevation. I'll work on that next time at longer ranges.

You can still definitely see it's potential for great accuracy, even before you get it dialed in. The gun looks awesome and so do those big bullet holes.

OK, got it. Never saw the movie though.

You need to definitely remedy that.

One of the greatest movies of all time

+1000

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The SLR adjustable gas block has 15 settings. I had to remove the handgard and the Noveske comp to get to the adjustment screw. I cranked it back about halfway since it was so over gassed. I wonder what that did to my sight adjustments, since the front sight is mounted on the handgard. It will be interesting to see on Tuesday when I can go back to the range what effect the adjustment has. There are still other springs to try with the JP "Silent Captured Spring" system. But I will try to keep it to one variable at a time.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The SLR adjustable gas block has 15 settings. I had to remove the handgard and the Noveske comp to get to the adjustment screw. I cranked it back about halfway since it was so over gassed. I wonder what that did to my sight adjustments, since the front sight is mounted on the handgard. It will be interesting to see on Tuesday when I can go back to the range what effect the adjustment has. There are still other springs to try with the JP "Silent Captured Spring" system. But I will try to keep it to one variable at a time.

This sucks.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice shooting. That thing looks awesome. I'm not one to get hung up much on looks when it comes to things like guns and guitars (where the performance is the most important aspect), but your mix of FDE, OD Green, and shades of black gives it a really cool visual factor.

Following your build has been driving me crazy, because I started thinking about getting an AR pistol shortly before you started your first thread about building one. My biggest dilemma has been, buy or build, and budget vs high end.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This sucks.

Yeah, I bought the SLR thinking it would be easier to adjust on the fly and to tailor settings to different loads. It came with an adjustment tool that is not long enough to reach to the gas block from the front of the handgard.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice shooting. That thing looks awesome. I'm not one to get hung up much on looks when it comes to things like guns and guitars (where the performance is the most important aspect), but your mix of FDE, OD Green, and shades of black gives it a really cool visual factor.

Following your build has been driving me crazy, because I started thinking about getting an AR pistol shortly before you started your first thread about building one. My biggest dilemma has been, buy or build, and budget vs high end.

Thanks for your compliments on the visual aspects of my build. I certainly did not save any money building, but I got to pick the components for my first build and it was fun.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
On a side note, both "5.56" marked magazines and those marked ".300 BO" all functioned equally well, though only the one load was tried in all. Supposedly some 5.56 mags don't play well with the heavier bullet subsonic loads. But this is just internet hearsay. Has anyone heard this or have experience with it?

Top Bottom