What's new

Holding a Razor

I have really unsteady hands unless I tighten my grip, so I tend to hold it very close to the head of the razor. The downside is, I don't benefit from the weight of the razor, and I occasionally have to put slight pressure on the blade to get the desired results. Luckily hasn't landed me with any cuts, but surely I'd be shredded to ribbon if I tried shaving with a light touch.

I have really unsteady hands unless I tighten my grip, so I tend to hold it very close to the head of the razor. The downside is, I don't benefit from the weight of the razor, and I occasionally have to put slight pressure on the blade to get the desired results. Luckily hasn't landed me with any cuts, but surely I'd be shredded to ribbon if I tried shaving with a light touch.

I would try a less aggressive blade just in case you slip.

Thank you for the tutorial. I'm use to hold the razor like in the first picture, also give me a lot feeling and control over my skin.

Guys, with practice most of this will become natural.

I recall when the first time I fired a pistol at a gun range after being tutored by an instructor. I thought holding a pistol with two hands and with the index finger of my left hand close to the barrel was totally unnatural. However, after a short period of time it became automatic.

Great post and pics. Over the last month of learning, I found myself beginning to hold the razor like a pen at the balance point of the razor when holding it upside down, causing it to... float?... as I shaved. Been trying to replicate that feeling when holding it with the head up on the WTG pass. This post will learn me up right quick! Thanks a ton!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim:
Excellent post!
Because I have kind of have 'Bear Claws' $Bear_Claw-icon.pngfor hands, I hold my razor (Merkur 38C), lightly at the end of the handle with my forefinger & thumb with my right hand only (with very slight skin stretching with my left hand below the sideburns ([WTG - downward], and along the jawline [in the opposite to the direction that my blade is slicing], when shaving CTG (across), but in shaving ATG (upward), no skin stretching is necessary and/or needed. :blush:

This is the best pic I could find, albeit in the pics below the person is holding a 23C in his left hand);

proxy.php

Downward (WTG), & across (CTG), cutting motion.

proxy.php

Upward (ATG), cutting motion.

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]"The essence of [shaving] pleasure is spontaneity". Germaine Greer[/FONT]

Last edited:
Top Bottom