What's new

Holding a Razor

Jim:
Excellent post!
Because I have kind of have 'Bear Claws' View attachment 554864for hands, I hold my razor (Merkur 38C), lightly at the end of the handle with my forefinger & thumb with my right hand only (with very slight skin stretching with my left hand below the sideburns ([WTG - downward], and along the jawline [in the opposite to the direction that my blade is slicing], when shaving CTG (across), but in shaving ATG (upward), no skin stretching is necessary and/or needed. :blush:

This is the best pic I could find, albeit in the pics below the person is holding a 23C in his left hand);

proxy.php

Downward (WTG), & across (CTG), cutting motion.

proxy.php

Upward (ATG), cutting motion.

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]"The essence of [shaving] pleasure is spontaneity". Germaine Greer[/FONT]

Great photo, Christopher.

And thanks for the compliments, guys.

Very nice. I pretty much follow this, although if I did "close grip" it would likely be a recipe for disaster. For me holding away from the head gives discipline to my handling.

Very nice. I pretty much follow this, although if I did "close grip" it would likely be a recipe for disaster. For me holding away from the head gives discipline to my handling.

Same as me. The only time I use the close grip is when I am J hooking.

It looks to me like you're using too much pressure, which be due to your grip, I suppose. Also, you need to stretch the skin of your neck, wether by pulling it or craning your neck.

An immensely helpful post for new shavers such as myself. Thanks to Ackvil I now get close comfortable shaves.

Top Bottom