What's new

Henson Razors... Yes or No???

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Henson way is to lock you into an angle. They are also very lightweight.
The lock-in guarantees a good to very good shave every time.

The drawback is that you can hardly if at all deviate from the given angle. So if you want to lean in and have some stubble somewhere you really want to kill you have to go over as it is till gone.

If you like lightweight and safe and guaranteed success, they are a winner.
If you want some more control and don't like aluminum haptically or its low weight, rather not.

I own the V1 +, ++ and +++Hensons. Also the V2 +++. I enjoy using the +++, but the others I find too mild.
Also in the collection is a Razorock Game Changer .84P and .68P.
Of these razors I would go with a Game Changer .68P plate. I get consistently excellent shaves from the GC .68P and it can be used daily. It's stainless steel and will not deteriorate like aluminum eventually will. All my Hensons look new because I handle them carefully, and rinse thoroughly and dry each part individually. But without this care, they will look old before their time.

Among my embarrassingly large collection of razors, the Game Changer .68P is at or near the top. It has good efficiency and is easy to use.

I have the GC closed comb with .68 and .84 plates. I used the .68 as a daily shaver and the .84 when I had a 3+ day growth. The .84 was a little to harsh for me to use everyday. The GC shaves smooth and requires some experience with a "typical" 3 piece, since there is blade exposure, and you need to get the angle correct. I paired mine with a Tibam titanium Bobcat handle which improved the balance considerably. When Hensons first came out, I purchased an AL13 mild and medium, and was very skeptical. They both shave like a cartridge, have next to zero blade exposure, allow pressure to be applied, have zero blade chatter, and are mild but get the job done in 3 passes plus a cleanup buffing. They are not "typical" 3 piece razors since it is nearly impossible to cut yourself with a Henson. The Mild is very mild and the Medium is mild. When Henson offered the Ti22 in aggressive, I jumped on it. IMHO, the aggressive is definitely more efficient than the medium, has an observable blade exposure (zero chatter), and reduces the number of passes for the same result. I prefer a lighter razor, so when the AL13+++ arrived, I purchased the V1 and subsequently the V2 as well. The AL13+++ V2 is my favorite razor and daily shaver. I believe it is nearly as efficient as the GC .84, but the Henson requires zero attention and shaves much quicker than even the GC due to its minimal blade exposure and architecture. IMHO, you may be disappointed with either the mild or medium, since you are used to the GC .84, and have developed shaving muscle memory. Using the Henson requires nearly zero training for most newbies, so you will have no problem using it.
The issue is this: Do you like a light razor or a heavier razor? The AL13 is very light compared to any stainless razor. If you prefer a heavier razor, using the Henson might not work for you. Most heavy razor enthusiasts do not like the Henson AL13, but some did take to the slightly heavier Ti22. I like lighter razors, so I prefer the AL13 over the Ti22. I also prefer the aluminum Razorock Lupo over the Stainless Lupo (I have all the plates). My favorite 3 piece razors, in order of preference are:
#1 Henson AL13+++ V2 (and Ti22+++), #2 RR Lupo aluminum (and Stainless Lupo .72), #3 GC .68 (and .84), #4 1951 Gillette Tech with bakelite handle (very light). I showed my favorites, just so you know where my head is at. I own around 60 modern and vintage DE safety razors (including 4 SE and several adjustables), but many are not used often.

Yes! I don’t understand the mild hate Henson gets for its “on-rails” approach. We all love a smooth, efficient, drama-free shave and the Henson design reliably delivers that every time. Even the +++ consistently delivers a comfortable shave despite its added blade feel.

If I was afforded one complaint, I’d say the AL13 is a little too light for me and could benefit from a little more weight. The Ti22 version is better in this regard, but it’s also very expensive.

When I got my Henson it was men's or women's. I got the men's which I am lead to believe is the medium now. It's a great razor, different style and use than the game changer, but equal in efficiency.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have the original Henson Al13 Medium, Henson V2+++, RazoRock GC84-P (and all of the OC plates) and the RazoRock GC68-P.

Of these options, I'd choose the RazoRock GC84-P in a heartbeat.

The Henson Al13 Medium is too mild for my face/skin/beard. I don’t get a close enough shave. Plus, the Al13 Medium locks me into a fixed neutral angle and exhibits "drag" on my face. Not a razor I use.

The Henson V2+++ shows enough blade that it can be used steep (my preferred shaving angle). Still some "drag", but greatly reduced from the Al13 Medium. Overall, a straightforward, medium effective shave. I can see myself using the V2+++ occasionally.

The RazoRock GC84-P is an outstanding razor. Used steep with a Timeless Titanium Handle and a Personna Israeli Platinum Red (the Eddison Israeli made blade will work nearly as well), Wizamet Super Iridium, Feather or Perma-Sharp blade, the GC84-P could easily be my Daily Driver.

The RazoRock GC68-P shares much with the GC84-P, just less efficient. If the GC84-P is a bit much for your Daily Driver, I would get a GC68-P plate and be happy. Of course I'd also get a Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle and really tune things up. :)

Just my opinion. :)

EJ 3One6
Daily shaver that is not mild.
A really good choice for many people IMHO. I want to like my Rocca more but, the 3one6 simply works better for my face and whiskers!

For Henson level expense, I think the 3one6 is a great deal if you can score one gently used! Or, buy one during a sale from Edwin Jagger/theEnglishShaving website.

Yes! I don’t understand the mild hate Henson gets for its “on-rails” approach. We all love a smooth, efficient, drama-free shave and the Henson design reliably delivers that every time. Even the +++ consistently delivers a comfortable shave despite its added blade feel.

If I was afforded one complaint, I’d say the AL13 is a little too light for me and could benefit from a little more weight. The Ti22 version is better in this regard, but it’s also very expensive.
If Henson offered them in Stainless, I could see myself buying one.

Aluminum is a hard no. Ti is simply too expensive.

NO, do not waste your money. Either try a different blade (gillette or personna) and add a balm. Or try a cheap DE 89 clone....

Different blades and better shave cremes or soaps are worth a try. A face balm, in my case Nivea, works well too, and at ~$5 from Walmart is worth a try.

While I like my EJ89 and Gillette razors, a different base plate is the best "cheap" option IMHO. That being said, Henson gets a lot of favorable reviews from a lot of users for people with similar issues and comments. Personally, though, I strongly prefer stainless steel in the sub-$100 razor options.

An EJ89 for $25 from Amazon might be worth a try though, a new base for his razor makes the most sense to me at this point in time.

Different blades and better shave cremes or soaps are worth a try. A face balm, in my case Nivea, works well too, and at ~$5 from Walmart is worth a try.

While I like my EJ89 and Gillette razors, a different base plate is the best "cheap" option IMHO. That being said, Henson gets a lot of favorable reviews from a lot of users for people with similar issues and comments. Personally, though, I strongly prefer stainless steel in the sub-$100 razor options.

An EJ89 for $25 from Amazon might be worth a try though, a new base for his razor makes the most sense to me at this point in time.
Sry for the confusion, I forgot to hit the reply to (Tillerman 7) original post.

Plus 1 for the RR GC 68-P. I just recently (a month, or so) purchased both the GC 68-P and the GC 84-P plates.

I've used the 84-P as a daily driver with no problem, but enjoy swapping out razors every week.

My favorite blade right now is the Astra SP.

Yesterday, I popped a fresh Astra SP in my GC 68-P and was rewarded with probably the best shave I've ever had. I think this is primarily due to my technique improving and getting to know the razor.

The GC 84-P is more "Efficient" than the GC 68-P and definitely not a razor to go "Auto Pilot" with.

Also, as pointed out by others, your 'pre-shave' routine also contributes to your shaving comfort.

Hot shower and before I step out, I have been applying some Cremo Original to my face as a 'pre-pre shave'. I then apply Proraso Pre-Shave Cream (love the Eucalyptus and Menthol) and let that sit whilst I warm up my Shaving Scuttle, brush and razor. Followed by a dab of Proraso Green Shave Cream and lather up.

A pass 'WTG', another 'ATG' and finally 'XTG' with some minor touch-up.

I get a CCS, or better from both plates this way.

As always, JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

One other thing to consider is that you don't have to break the bank to try a Henson AL. Used ones regularly show up on the BST for @$50.
This is what I did. At $45 I’m really happy to have the v2 +, but for the retail price I wouldn’t have kept it. It’s really effective - the mild one is more efficient than I expected. Honestly it’s just different than other DE razors. I find all the good things people say about them to be true…and most of the bad things. Pick up a used one and see how it works for you. That’s really the only way to know.

Top Bottom