What's new

Henson Medium Opinion

I have wondered if the heavier TI version would be more to my tastes, but getting one here is likely to cost the equivalent of about $330 once shipping, taxes and duties are accounted for. I am not prepared to pay that much to find out, especially since the odds are still against my getting on with it due to the head profile and I get perfectly good shaves from traditional razors with a similar weight that cost about 1/15 of that price. I think if Henson made a razor from heavier materials that was offered at the same price as the AL, they would probably find quite a decent level of demand for it amongst "hobby" shavers who prefer a more substantial razor.

As far as the pressure is concerned, I can only speak from what I found - different hair, different experiences I guess.

I respect what Henson are doing and think the quality of the product is A1. As I have said elsewhere, I would love to seem them make a razor with the same philosophy around blade clamping and high standards of machining, but a more traditional head profile and heavier materials (e.g. brass). That would really be something!
For what's it worth, if you stick an Al13 head on a steel handle, the head is light enough that it probably won't affect the balance much, i.e. it would likely handle like the handle itself.
That's assuming you have some spares kicking about to experiment with.

Steel handle (I have tried two steel handles) with the aluminum or titanium head feels to unbalanced for my taste.
I’m using the Ti head with the AL handle and I find it better than all other configurations that I have tried, including the full titanium.

For what's it worth, if you stick an Al13 head on a steel handle, the head is light enough that it probably won't affect the balance much, i.e. it would likely handle like the handle itself.
That's assuming you have some spares kicking about to experiment with.

I considered that option but in the end I needed some short-term liquidity and put it on eBay along with a couple of other razors I wasn't using. My only "spare" steel handles house my de89 head and my SLOC head...I like both more than the Henson!

If more traditional razors are so good, why do guys routinely do two and three passes with them? Obviously because they don’t shave well. I never need more than one pass with some cleanup right under the jawline with my Henson. So if people need to shave three times, how can they be “efficient”?
I need to do one WTG pass and 1 or 2 passes ATG and pickups with any razor to get a close enough shave, simply because my face and neck actually have varied contours, my hair grows in several directions in some places, and quite close to the skin in some of the same and some other places.
To get those that grow close to my skin, I need to perform Gillette slide in two versions (a different one in its own pass) and, in two spots, j-hooking.
It doesn't matter whether it's a shavette, R41, Henson Al13, Gillette old type or something else.

I’ve only been using de blades for around 2 years, but in that time I’ve used razors that cover a pretty wide spectrum of weights. From a plastic PAA slant to full stainless razors with plenty of aluminum options and vintage Gillettes in between. For me there is no standard for pressure. Regardless of what razor I’m using the goal is to apply exactly the amount required to maintain contact, no more or less. The Henson models are no different. I have the Al mild and aggressive ones and with either one too little pressure amounts to a skippy inefficient mess. Too much pressure equals a draggy suction that I find highly unpleasant. With just enough pressure to allow the head to glide over my face I think it works extremely well and provides the precise shave they designed it to. They offer 3 different levels in 2 different materials to provide varying levels of closeness. If one of those works then you’ll love it, if not you’ll constantly fight it and probably get poor results to show for the trouble.

So the henson medium showed up a few days ago and figured I'd give my opinion on it as someone who doesn't shave on a regular basis but who has shaved their head with a mach 3 for the past 4 months.

I got the copper finish, it's OK. it's not as polished as what I was expecting and to me looks cheap.

The milling and machine work is top notch, and I can appreciate that.

The aluminum (combined with the finish) makes it feel cheap, unless light razors are your thing.

The head shave was uneventful, no razorburn/cuts/weepers. I did a 3 pass and while the shave is decent, it's not BBS which is kind of what I was expecting. As everyone has said, the window for angle is narrow which is fine. I was not expecting THAT narrow kd a window though.

I personally would give it a 7/10. It wasn't anything life changing necessarily, but ill say how it wad marketed was spot on. Its idiot proof to nkt get cut, but its not idiot proof to get a great shave out kf it. If I just wanted something to knock hair off without worrying about cutting myself then it did its job stupendous.

Ima give it a couple more goes and see if I can improve with it.

I also got the RR BBS OC so I'm gonna try that one next weekend and see if I'm even gonna bother hanging onto the Henson.

So to anyone who's considering getting one I'd say to order it from henson and give it a try. They have that satisfaction policy which is honestly the largest reason I ended up getting it.
Excellent and honest feedback. In line with my experience. It is a good razor but there are better.

If more traditional razors are so good, why do guys routinely do two and three passes with them? Obviously because they don’t shave well. I never need more than one pass with some cleanup right under the jawline with my Henson. So if people need to shave three times, how can they be “efficient”?
As has been said already, it's great that the Henson is the best for you. It's absurd to imply that everyone else that doesn't like the Henson is inept if the Henson doesn't work for them.

I need to do one WTG pass and 1 or 2 passes ATG and pickups with any razor to get a close enough shave, simply because my face and neck actually have varied contours, my hair grows in several directions in some places, and quite close to the skin in some of the same and some other places.
To get those that grow close to my skin, I need to perform Gillette slide in two versions (a different one in its own pass) and, in two spots, j-hooking.
It doesn't matter whether it's a shavette, R41, Henson Al13, Gillette old type or something else.

I agree. There are large areas of my face where a single WTG pass leaves a lot of stubble behind - there's no such thing as a one pass shave for me. I can't go ATG so I need to use every other trick in the book (J-hooks, slides, etc) to pick off the stubborn, flat growing hairs. It's two passes then pick-ups to grab all the stragglers regardless of the razor. I start to suspect that @SalS is lucky to have a relatively easy shave and can't understand why other folks would have different experiences and requirements.

@rudygu is no doubt right that there is a "correct" amount of pressure for the Henson where one can avoid the "skippy, inefficient mess" without suffering the ill effects of too much pressure, and if that "correct" amount is a fit for your beard and the blade exposure of the model you are using, everything falls into place. Perhaps if I had tried the +++ Henson instead of the ++ it would have been a better fit, but once bitten, twice shy.

@rudygu is no doubt right that there is a "correct" amount of pressure for the Henson where one can avoid the "skippy, inefficient mess" without suffering the ill effects of too much pressure, and if that "correct" amount is a fit for your beard and the blade exposure of the model you are using, everything falls into place. Perhaps if I had tried the +++ Henson instead of the ++ it would have been a better fit, but once bitten, twice shy.
That rather makes me wonder whether people don't say "pressure" when they mean a "firm enough grip". Which aren't really the same in this case.
What I mean is, one does need to apply force to move the razor, but at the same time, to prevent skipping requires more of a firm hand than pressure against the skin.
Though I'm not sure I'm making any sense.

That rather makes me wonder whether people don't say "pressure" when they mean a "firm enough grip". Which aren't really the same in this case.
What I mean is, one does need to apply force to move the razor, but at the same time, to prevent skipping requires more of a firm hand than pressure against the skin.
Though I'm not sure I'm making any sense.
I think I understand what you’re saying and I agree when speaking of more traditional razors, but Henson acts a bit different for me. The large, flat surface in contact with the skin will kinda just float on top of the lather and leave patches of stubble if you don’t push through it to maintain solid contact. This effect is more pronounced in the mild for me. The aggressive has more blade exposure and I find it performs better with a light hand, but still not the same as a more traditional razor. I’ve never tried the medium, but most people seem to say it’s closer to the mild. There’s a lot of discussion about it in the main Henson thread including what kind of lather works best. Someone said it’s best to use “thick lather applied thinly” and I’ve had success keeping that in mind. Jack Black Beard Lube also works very well with both Hensons I use.

So an AL13+ was my first DE in decades.

7 months into this journey, I've played with the Gamechanger (3 SB base plates) and most recently an Overlander.

I gave up on the mild Henson, although last week I returned to it, because of Galibier's rule #1: any opinion of mine that's more than a month old is irrelevant.

Well, my improvement in technique was such that I was surprised at how efficiently I could remove hair with the +.

If the Gamechanger and Overlander didn't work so well for me, I'd be tempted to explore either the ++ or +++.

There's one thing that I still have trouble with as far as the Henson head design is concerned - its sensitivity to lather density.

I find myself having difficulty dialing in the lather so the head doesn't float over my skin, and in turn, encouraging too much pressure. In playing with this for a couple of weeks, it completely screwed up my lathering technique. I had to return to first principles to undo the damage (literally and figuratively).

If I ever return to a Henson, I'll play with creams like Jack Black since they go on thinly.

So Galibier's rule #3 applies: there's a reason for YMMV, and one should view absolute statements with a critical eye.

... Thom

There are many Henson fans here, although personally I agree that it is a pretty uninspiring and uninvolving shave. Felt like a cartridge razor to me, which is not what I want. After many years of using traditional DE razor designs, the "benefits" of the Henson feel like drawbacks.

However, it is a very clever design. If this was your first time using a DE razor (I am guessing based on your post count and the fact that you mention using a Mach 3 before now) then you may not appreciate just how much work the Henson design was doing for you in terms of compensating for a lack of traditional DE razor technique. Just saying, go really carefully with that Razorock next weekend - it will be a very different animal!
Wasn't my first time using a DE, I've been using them for the better part of the last 20 years. I started using a R41 a couple years ago. Typically my shave has only involved my neck and cheeks for the past 10 or so years cause I rock a beard.

The Mach comment was strictly for my head as I've only been shaving my head for a few months now. I tried using a DE on my head (41 and 89) and it got real bitey around the crown and I didn't trust myself with the 41 on my head.

I agree the Henson is really good design wise, and I felt like I was giving it credit for that. The intent of my post was to fill gaps in opinions/reviews I've read that may have helped me make a decision sooner.

It's a decent razor, wouldn't say it's great. It does what it's designed to do, and like I said I was gonna give it a couple more goes to get a final opinion on it.

The Mach comment was strictly for my head as I've only been shaving my head for a few months now. I tried using a DE on my head (41 and 89) and it got real bitey around the crown and I didn't trust myself with the 41 on my head.

Cool beans. Not a head shaver myself, but if you are looking for a head shaving option, a lot of guys seems to swear by the Twig. I believe there is a section in the Clubs and Brotherhoods where you might pick up some ideas, if you are still looking for options.

Good morning.

IMG_7391.jpeg

Cool beans. Not a head shaver myself, but if you are looking for a head shaving option, a lot of guys seems to swear by the Twig. I believe there is a section in the Clubs and Brotherhoods where you might pick up some ideas, if you are still looking for options.
I'm gonna try the RR BBS OC, and then the super slant L1++OC probably.

I think I understand what you’re saying and I agree when speaking of more traditional razors, but Henson acts a bit different for me. The large, flat surface in contact with the skin will kinda just float on top of the lather and leave patches of stubble if you don’t push through it to maintain solid contact. This effect is more pronounced in the mild for me. The aggressive has more blade exposure and I find it performs better with a light hand, but still not the same as a more traditional razor. I’ve never tried the medium, but most people seem to say it’s closer to the mild. There’s a lot of discussion about it in the main Henson thread including what kind of lather works best. Someone said it’s best to use “thick lather applied thinly” and I’ve had success keeping that in mind. Jack Black Beard Lube also works very well with both Hensons I use.
A few questions to help quench my curiosity:
Does it change for you if you use a heavier handle with it?
On how many days of growth is it?
Are your strokes longer than, say, an inch?
Do you lift the razor head off the skin between strokes in the same direction?

It makes me wonder whether the lather you used with it isn't too thick as such.
It should be easy to test - if you were to use a few drops of e.g. sunflower oil mixed with water instead of lather to get something very slick but "non-blocking", it should help show whether playing with the lather wouldn't sort it out.

I realise that I might be almost overhydrating my lathers, which might be why mild razors work just fine with me, even when their lather slots are tiny or thin.
Mine feels like a damp cloth on the skin, and the peaks are a little droopy even after vigorous whipping. It's still slick, which I can also check just by giving the lather a test by rubbing a little between my thumb and index finger. It just looks like adding any more water would break it down.
If it doesn't feel like a damp cloth when on the skin, I work in some more water.
If it starts to break down before it feels like that, then I generally either bin the soap, pass it on, or use loads of it to make sure it won't start breaking down and to use it up quickly to be rid of it that way.

I find that sort of lather give me good glide, works a treat with mild razors without clogging them or causing them to glide over hair without shaving it and it also provides just enough cushion to use with aggressive razors and shavettes.

This perfectly describes my experience with the mild as well. I don't play with many different soaps. I alternate between Cella Red and Haslingers Schafmilch. The Haslingers is slightly more tolerant than the Cella is, in terms of taking a bit more water without losing its lubricity.

At the end of the day however, I find I have to thin both of these soaps out too much if I want to shave with a light touch. I'm guessing that this isn't a problem for Henson's target market for the mild, for the same reason that I purchased it - being a cartridge razor apostate, and being used to applying more pressure.

I didn't notice this floating characteristic until I refined my technique as a result of familiarizing myself with my Gamechangers and Overlander.

Before the angry mob gets out their pitchforks (and tells me to return to a heavy touch), I now find that I can get a smoother and more efficient shave with my improved awareness of pressure. The caveat is, that I have an extra pair of variables to compensate for - tuning my lather (which is really tricky), or being extra conscious of pressure: adding more than I would with other razors, but not as much as when I first started out with the mild.

I recently found another trick - clear the lather so you position the razor on a super thin layer. It doesn't fully mitigate this characteristic, but it helps.

... Thom

A few questions to help quench my curiosity:
Does it change for you if you use a heavier handle with it?
On how many days of growth is it?
Are your strokes longer than, say, an inch?
Do you lift the razor head off the skin between strokes in the same direction?

It makes me wonder whether the lather you used with it isn't too thick as such.
It should be easy to test - if you were to use a few drops of e.g. sunflower oil mixed with water instead of lather to get something very slick but "non-blocking", it should help show whether playing with the lather wouldn't sort it out.

I realise that I might be almost overhydrating my lathers, which might be why mild razors work just fine with me, even when their lather slots are tiny or thin.
Mine feels like a damp cloth on the skin, and the peaks are a little droopy even after vigorous whipping. It's still slick, which I can also check just by giving the lather a test by rubbing a little between my thumb and index finger. It just looks like adding any more water would break it down.
If it doesn't feel like a damp cloth when on the skin, I work in some more water.
If it starts to break down before it feels like that, then I generally either bin the soap, pass it on, or use loads of it to make sure it won't start breaking down and to use it up quickly to be rid of it that way.

I find that sort of lather give me good glide, works a treat with mild razors without clogging them or causing them to glide over hair without shaving it and it also provides just enough cushion to use with aggressive razors and shavettes.
I know you weren't asking me in particular but the razor wasn't clogging that bad, and it's easy to rinse.

I did two AGT passes, and one XTG pass on about 5 days of growth. I also did short little 1 " strokes on the first pass, and longer ~2" ones on the second. I had to play with getting the angle right cause when I was trying to pay attention to the sides, what I was assuming was the correct angle based on how it looked wasn't shallow enough.

I dont mess with soaps but I get kine pretty yogurty and it was B&M Hallows.

Top Bottom