What's new

Henson Medium Opinion

So the henson medium showed up a few days ago and figured I'd give my opinion on it as someone who doesn't shave on a regular basis but who has shaved their head with a mach 3 for the past 4 months.

I got the copper finish, it's OK. it's not as polished as what I was expecting and to me looks cheap.

The milling and machine work is top notch, and I can appreciate that.

The aluminum (combined with the finish) makes it feel cheap, unless light razors are your thing.

The head shave was uneventful, no razorburn/cuts/weepers. I did a 3 pass and while the shave is decent, it's not BBS which is kind of what I was expecting. As everyone has said, the window for angle is narrow which is fine. I was not expecting THAT narrow kd a window though.

I personally would give it a 7/10. It wasn't anything life changing necessarily, but ill say how it wad marketed was spot on. Its idiot proof to nkt get cut, but its not idiot proof to get a great shave out kf it. If I just wanted something to knock hair off without worrying about cutting myself then it did its job stupendous.

Ima give it a couple more goes and see if I can improve with it.

I also got the RR BBS OC so I'm gonna try that one next weekend and see if I'm even gonna bother hanging onto the Henson.

So to anyone who's considering getting one I'd say to order it from henson and give it a try. They have that satisfaction policy which is honestly the largest reason I ended up getting it.

There are many Henson fans here, although personally I agree that it is a pretty uninspiring and uninvolving shave. Felt like a cartridge razor to me, which is not what I want. After many years of using traditional DE razor designs, the "benefits" of the Henson feel like drawbacks.

However, it is a very clever design. If this was your first time using a DE razor (I am guessing based on your post count and the fact that you mention using a Mach 3 before now) then you may not appreciate just how much work the Henson design was doing for you in terms of compensating for a lack of traditional DE razor technique. Just saying, go really carefully with that Razorock next weekend - it will be a very different animal!

I have one in blue++ and I got rid of six other razors a week later along with a Trader Joe’s bag of various soaps, creams and brushes. My doorman was happy with gifts. For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can compare it to a cartridge razor because last time I checked cartridge razors didn’t take double-edged blades. 😂

Anyway it’s a superior razor, best I have ever used. Anyone that disagrees is just in denial to be quite honest. The photo is all I have and I am happy for it.

Attachments

• IMG_4935.jpeg
    IMG_4935.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 76
I have the Henson medium and I just can’t shave with it. Granted, I’m a newbie, but I tried for two months exclusively with it, and it’s supposed to be designed for people who come from cartridges with no experience whatsoever. I find it very inefficient even for two days growth, and my beard isn’t even that thick. I’ve had better luck with and old SuperSpeed and a Progress

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but we will agree to disagree that people that don't like the Henson are somehow "in denial." My experience and opinion is almost identical to our friend @Goblin, in fact.
They are because it is a disruptive design and fabricated far better than most razors. Disruptive products always rub traditionalists the wrong way because they challenge deeply held thoughts which is quite disturbing to many. Any objective test of shaving performance would easily conclude it is the best razor period.

I have the Henson medium and I just can’t shave with it. Granted, I’m a newbie, but I tried for two months exclusively with it, and it’s supposed to be designed for people who come from cartridges with no experience whatsoever. I find it very inefficient even for two days growth, and my beard isn’t even that thick. I’ve had better luck with and old SuperSpeed and a Progress
You aren’t shaving the way the head is designed. Shave with the head flat against your skin. It isn’t designed to be angled like other razors.

I consider myself the opposite of someone who is transitioning from cartridge razors.
So I guess I am not the primary audience for this razor...but I love it.
For me, I have shaved with the worlds top razors and not once have I felt "inspired or involved"
during the shave.

Why the need to feel thus? Shaving is for getting the surface smooth and presentable.

I prefer the +++ version to the ++ for efficiency but beginners would no doubt appreciate
the safety of the ++. It is an uninvolving shave because you don't have to focus on every
move...this thing (Medium) can run on autopilot.

They are because it is a disruptive design and fabricated far better than most razors. Disruptive products always rub traditionalists the wrong way because they challenge deeply held thoughts which is quite disturbing to many. Any objective test of shaving performance would easily conclude it is the best razor period.
I am glad the Henson works that well for you. Besides me, there are a number of others who agree with me that the Henson is not "the best razor period." We already discussed in an earlier thread that there basically is no such thing as an "objective test of shaving performance."

As has been said before, you are entitled to your opinion that the Henson is the best razor period for you. Respectfully: You are overstepping by saying others are "in denial" if they disagree.

...unless you are joking, in which case, my apologies for not "getting" your sense of humor 🙂

I cannot understand how anyone can compare it to a cartridge razor because last time I checked cartridge razors didn’t take double-edged blades. 😂

It feels like a cartridge razor in use (light and lifeless) and requires similar technique in terms of needing pressure behind it to shave. It's a razor that takes DE blades, but it does not shave like any other DE razor...which, of course, was the idea!

I just got a medium Henson razor in the copper finish in the mail yesterday and am looking forward to using it. Not impressed with the finish - it's not very coppery in color and seems to be almost matte in finish. It is also very light when compared to most of the other DE razors I have used. But based on comments here, I am optimistic about it.

It is an uninvolving shave because you don't have to focus on every
move...this thing (Medium) can run on autopilot.

Exactly. Like a cartridge razor is also designed to do. It's also very light, like a cartridge razor, and requires similar technique in terms of needing pressure behind it to shave.

At this point someone jumps in and says "you should use no pressure with a Henson". Using no pressure with the lightweight Henson simply caused the flat, slab-fronted bit of the head to sit on top of my whiskers, rather than allowing the blade to get down between them and shave at skin-level. So compared to a traditional design, the Henson definitely needs pressure behind it. In fact, that flat front is deliberately designed to help distribute the excessive pressure that is likely to be applied by cartridge users. In other words, they are expecting users to apply pressure, and I believe that Henson say some pressure is required to get the razor to shave.

It's a great design, but it's not the universal panacea for all shaving ills that it's made out to be. As someone with "problem skin" who got into DE shaving because of irritation and ingrowns caused by cartridges, the "locked in" shave of the Henson is not what I or my skin want, and I still think the learning curve and skill requirements of a traditional design are worth it for the benefits of being able to shave with as little pressure as possible and "customise" the shave via technique. It's got to the point where I even get pleasure from successfully using a tool that requires some skill and concentration to achieve the best result, something that I would argue the Henson doesn't offer.

We all know that the Henson is designed for cartridge users who want to save money by using DE blades, but are unable or unwilling to learn to use a traditional design. Apparently it also appeals to people who just want an easy shave without much user input. Turns out I am not part of either market. If the Henson is the right option for you then great, but hopefully you can understand why at least one person might not think it is superior to all other shaving tools. Hell, for me the very best shaves are obtained with open blade razors. They have even more of a learning curve and skill requirement than DE razors, but to me that's worth it for the results I can achieve with them.

Please advise if you are saying this seriously or if this statement is tongue-in-cheek. To be honest IMHO your Henson fan-boy posts are becoming a bit much.

I've posted before that I've had all 3 grades of Henson and sold them all. My wife on the other hand has a V1 and a V2 and loves them.
I am totally serious and this goes for traditional soaps as well. Totally inferior to more modern creams.

But I can understand the psychology and romance of holding on to inferior products. Some people like to fuss with things and over buy, I am beyond that.

Thanks for your honest response. Now I can learn how to use the forums ignore function. Have a nice day.
If more traditional razors are so good, why do guys routinely do two and three passes with them? Obviously because they don’t shave well. I never need more than one pass with some cleanup right under the jawline with my Henson. So if people need to shave three times, how can they be “efficient”?

Exactly. Like a cartridge razor is also designed to do. It's also very light, like a cartridge razor, and requires similar technique in terms of needing pressure behind it to shave.

The AL one is light but the Ti +++ I run on a Timeless Crown Ti Handle feels like a normal DE
razor. Possibly the weight of a Red Tip or thereabouts. It is not mandatory to use
pressure with a Henson...I think it just so happens that the exposure on the medium (a human hair)
allows you to do this, as well as execute multiple buffing strokes without distress to skin.
But that doesn't mean you need to. It's just a safety element that is built in to protect you if you
were to use excessive pressure.

I do not recall having to use extra pressure with a Henson...I treat it like all my other razors.
The one thing that stands out for me is the clamping on this razor...I don't think I have come
across another razor that clamps so close to the edge and so vice-like.
I don't mean to gush about this razor but if it comes across as such, I make no apologies,
it is quite a special razor.

The AL one is light but the Ti +++ I run on a Timeless Crown Ti Handle feels like a normal DE
razor. Possibly the weight of a Red Tip or thereabouts. It is not mandatory to use
pressure with a Henson...I think it just so happens that the exposure on the medium (a human hair)
allows you to do this, as well as execute multiple buffing strokes without distress to skin.
But that doesn't mean you need to. It's just a safety element that is built in to protect you if you
were to use excessive pressure.

I do not recall having to use extra pressure with a Henson...I treat it like all my other razors.
The one thing that stands out for me is the clamping on this razor...I don't think I have come
across another razor that clamps so close to the edge and so vice-like.
I don't mean to gush about this razor but if it comes across as such, I make no apologies,
it is quite a special razor.

I have wondered if the heavier TI version would be more to my tastes, but getting one here is likely to cost the equivalent of about $330 once shipping, taxes and duties are accounted for. I am not prepared to pay that much to find out, especially since the odds are still against my getting on with it due to the head profile and I get perfectly good shaves from traditional razors with a similar weight that cost about 1/15 of that price. I think if Henson made a razor from heavier materials that was offered at the same price as the AL, they would probably find quite a decent level of demand for it amongst "hobby" shavers who prefer a more substantial razor.

As far as the pressure is concerned, I can only speak from what I found - different hair, different experiences I guess.

I respect what Henson are doing and think the quality of the product is A1. As I have said elsewhere, I would love to seem them make a razor with the same philosophy around blade clamping and high standards of machining, but a more traditional head profile and heavier materials (e.g. brass). That would really be something!

Top Bottom