What's new

Henckels knives opinions?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Congrats. Lucky guy, nice gift. Enjoy them, I'm pretty certain you'll find that they serve you well.

Here's what I would recommend starting with:

Chef's knife - you'll use this one most of the time in cutting meats and vegetables.
Boning knife - this one is awesome when cutting up whole chickens.
Paring knife - to cut up fruits and anything small.
Bread knife - to cut bread, slice sandwiches in half, etc.

I'd spend the most on the Chef's knife but wouldn't skimp on the others. The bread knife is likely the one that I'd spend less on if need be.

Add a second durable full tang chef's knife that'll run you about $15 to $20. Something that you won't give a second thought to hammering on with a wooden mallet to power through a hard squash or cut anything that you think could possibly be detrimental to your nicer knives.

Any of the brands mentioned would likely serve you well. Try to visit the high end kitchen stores in your area to feel as many of the nicer knives in your hand as possible. You don't have to buy them from there but seeing what feels good to you might help you choose something that you'll enjoy using.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Here's what I would recommend starting with:

Chef's knife - you'll use this one most of the time in cutting meats and vegetables.
Boning knife - this one is awesome when cutting up whole chickens.
Paring knife - to cut up fruits and anything small.
Bread knife - to cut bread, slice sandwiches in half, etc.

I'd spend the most on the Chef's knife but wouldn't skimp on the others. The bread knife is likely the one that I'd spend less on if need be.

Add a second durable full tang chef's knife that'll run you about $15 to $20. Something that you won't give a second thought to hammering on with a wooden mallet to power through a hard squash or cut anything that you think could possibly be detrimental to your nicer knives.

Any of the brands mentioned would likely serve you well. Try to visit the high end kitchen stores in your area to feel as many of the nicer knives in your hand as possible. You don't have to buy them from there but seeing what feels good to you might help you choose something that you'll enjoy using.

That's how I started/stopped/started. With all Dexter-Russels. Still have most of them and they still work fine. Just upgraded each of them over the years to Shun and have basically replaced the chef's knife with a Santoku.

That's how I started/stopped/started. With all Dexter-Russels. Still have most of them and they still work fine. Just upgraded each of them over the years to Shun and have basically replaced the chef's knife with a Santoku.

Yeah, I'm with you there as I also have a handful of higher end, carbon steel, hand made Japanese knives but they're a bit more than what the average user would need. Definitely a bit sharper, and an absolute joy to use, but at a trade off of less durability and a bit more upkeep. I tend to recommend something a bit more durable and easier to take care of to someone starting out.

Classic German style knives work just fine, there is a reason they sell so well.

However, personally I prefer Japanese style knives, I like SHARP and the thinner profile suits me better. Effortless paper thin carrot slices, for instance. Just a whole lot easier for me.

That said, if you don't have the skills or stones to sharpen Japanese style knives, or cannot resist rock chopping, stick with the German ones. You can use a steel on those without issues, and they sharpen pretty easily. Japanese knives usually chip if you use a steel on them, and sharpening can be a real ordeal until you get used to how they work on the stones.

I use a 9" gyuto, a nice little petty my mother got for a wedding present (K-Bar, from the very short period when they made kitchen cutlery between WWII and the Cold War), and a Tojiro paring knife. Will get a yanagiba sharp eventually for slicing cooked meat, in particular bacon, and I have a more or less full set of Chicago Cutlery slicing and boning knives. They all get used, but the guyto, petty, and paring knife cover the vast majority of what I do.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I started my "real knife" collection (ie something better than dollar store steak knives) with Henckels ... I went for the 4-star ones. Got some nice knives. Got a bunch. Big & small chef knives, bread knife, bone knife, serrated utility knife, and their version of a santoku.

I still use the santoku.

Fortunately, SWMBO likes using several of the others, and focuses her "attentions" on them, and ignores the few of my newer Japanese knives that are out on display in the kitchen. (Well, apart from one petty that appears to have been used as a screwdriver at one point. *sigh*)

Yeah, um ... SWMBO likes to beat the crap out of stuff until it breaks, and then get new stuff. So the Henckels are pretty durable to her abuse, and keep her away from my Japanese knives.

proxy.php

They're good, solid knives that will last decades.

... especially if you leave them in the drawer all the time.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't know the answer to the question I'll ask.

What percentage of the population have a set of knives in a block that have never been sharpened?

What percentage of the population have a set of knives in a block?

Just my observation . . . and guess. If you actually have a couple of knives you've sharpened in the last 10 years you are in a happy minority. Tell me I'm wrong.

Mike, you likely won't get a good answer here. Not on a food sub-forum, sir.

Most folks, I would guess, throw knives in the dishwasher, and do not sharpen.

Most would not know Rockwell 57 from Heinz 57.

That is a shame.

Good evening all. Thank you so much for the words of wisdom and the suggestions. We ended up returning the knife set and I picked up a Victorinox fabric pro 8” chef’s knife and a 3 1/2” pairing knife from the same manufacturer.

I also bid on and won a Wusthof Legende 8” chef and bread knife.

Lastly, I picked up an inexpensive 180cm Tsubazo Stainless Gyuto from of all places Marshall’s. I checked it at Chefknivestogo and it’s actually pretty well regarded for a budget knife. I am practicing sharpening on this knife.

My wife is happy that I am happy and all of the knives I bought coat leas than half what she paid for the set.

I don’t need the best knives ever made at this point, but need something to learn on and then I’ll maybe invest in higher quality when it will make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

That is a shame.

Well I think that's a good answer. Many of us have been in someone else's place . . . maybe they have the best appliances and cookware etc. . . . and you help out cutting some veg. Holly crumb . . . can't even get this knife through a carrot.

All knives are awful if not sharpened. Tons of less expensive knives sharpen up and perform swell when sharp. Some knives are born awful . . . I'm thinking of a knife I have that sharpens up nicely but quickly chips.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

That is a shame.

That's how/why I find some really nice blades at Goodwill!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Owen:
In my culinary career...I've always used Henckel knives with great success...professional level, well made, sharp and
study blades. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“A sharp knife is a chef’s best friend”. Culinary Proverb

Last edited:
I bought my wife a set of Henckels, they were only $200 for a full set and she loves them. We made due with an emerald set for years. I do run them through a sharpener that I got off of amazon at least once a week that actually works pretty good. Keeps a factory edge on them.

Top Bottom