What's new

Henckels knives opinions?

My wonderful wife surprised me with a set of Henckels International forged elite knives. Anyone familiar with them? Good quality as a starter set?

I was going to just buy two knives to start but she beat me to it lol. I have been eyeing the wusthof classic 8” chef and a 4” pairing knife...are the Henckels fine to start with and learn knife skills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Henckels are good knives, quite comparable to Wustof. That's a nice gift. You're in good shape!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Nice set of knives. I doubt that you will consider 'upgrading' once you start using them.

I like my set we got a few years ago. I picked up the vegetable clever last year and it gets a lot of use.

trained and worked as a chef for years.....
it took me a while before i could afford them
owned a few, sold and/or traded them
still have much respect for them
you will not be disappointed by the twins
when you get a chance try and handle the higher models .. pro, four star.......
each has its own personality and fit with user
unless you make a living with them, and you keep them well maintained, you wont be missing anything with other higher models in the line...
get a decent steel, learn sharpening, maintenance, watch some pros closely build up good knife handling skills and these will serve you well
later in my career I ended up falling in love with Japanese hi carbon steel

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I picked up a couple of their 4 star knives a few months ago. I don't have much experience with good knives, but they are definitely head and shoulders above anything I have owned before.

I know that they make several sets. Their higher end ones are on par with the Wustof Classic knives you were looking at. They do have lesser quality ones (as does Wustof) so be sure that you're comparing knives of the same quality. You'll want full tang, forged (not stamped) knives.

Other than that if comparing the same level between the Wustof and Henkel's knives it's more of what feels better in your hand and what would be more comfortable to use. Both are excellent and would be a great choice.

My opinion: I would rather have two really good knives than four meh ones. I do not like sets.

On a budget, MAC knives offer a lot of value. (And stamped knives can be excellent, BTW, 'tho ones by Wustof and Henkels leave me underwhelmed.)

Are you going to hand wash? Are you going to sharpen and hone your knives? Have those skills? Do you need a boning knife to deal with meat? Do you need a carving knife?

A chef's knife and a utility knife, sometimes called a petty, are the two I reach for most of the time. A serrated knife and a paring knife don't see much use in my kitchen. And specialized knifes, including a nakari, a cleaver, and a carving knife mostly go unused. OTOH, I use kitchen shears frequently.

So, I guess if it were me, I would want a chef's knife of about seven inches, a utility/petty knife of five inches or so, a pair of take apart shears, and a steel for honing. There are a number of online stores selling this kit.

My opinion: I would rather have two really good knives than four meh ones. I do not like sets.

On a budget, MAC knives offer a lot of value. (And stamped knives can be excellent, BTW, 'tho ones by Wustof and Henkels leave me underwhelmed.)

Are you going to hand wash? Are you going to sharpen and hone your knives? Have those skills? Do you need a boning knife to deal with meat? Do you need a carving knife?

A chef's knife and a utility knife, sometimes called a petty, are the two I reach for most of the time. A serrated knife and a paring knife don't see much use in my kitchen. And specialized knifes, including a nakari, a cleaver, and a carving knife mostly go unused. OTOH, I use kitchen shears frequently.

So, I guess if it were me, I would want a chef's knife of about seven inches, a utility/petty knife of five inches or so, a pair of take apart shears, and a steel for honing. There are a number of online stores selling this kit.

Can you point me to the stores you mention that carry this type of kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I picked up a couple of their 4 star knives a few months ago. I don't have much experience with good knives, but they are definitely head and shoulders above anything I have owned before.
I have a drawer full of them that I barely touch any more. They're good, solid knives that will last decades.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

+1 to Macfrommichigan's eponymous suggestion. I think they make the best bread knife in the world, which I have, and all of their knives are very well received by the cognoscenti. But most of all, I just wanted to squeeze the word eponymous into a sentence. And cognoscenti, too.

+1 to Macfrommichigan's eponymous suggestion. I think they make the best bread knife in the world, which I have, and all of their knives are very well received by the cognoscenti. But most of all, I just wanted to squeeze the word eponymous into a sentence. And cognoscenti, too.

LMAO

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Your motive was quite pellucid

You will find a favorite knife that gets used majority of time... i would up grade that one...On your next knife purchase. While the higher knives are nice most aren’t going to spend hours with it in hand. But nice toys are always nice.

My 2 favorites are Chinese style cleaver, and 10 inch chef knife. Until I gifted it away I used it 99% of the time

Last edited:
@Sdm84
I have a Henckels 8” Chefs knife and 4” paring knife I have been using for about 40 years.
That pretty much makes the statement I would think.
Also have blades by Shun, Tojiro, Richmond, Sabatier, and a few new generation Henckels (Matteo Thun Design). More often than not, the old school Henckels will get the call for routine kitchen duties.

The only Henckles knife line that compares to a Wusthof Classic is the Pro-S. That said, I have sharpened a $5 Chicago Cuttlery '"yard sale" knife that will cut like magic. You don't have to spend a ton of $ to get a good knife. Buy what you like and like what you buy.

Top Bottom