What's new

Kitchen Knives

I have a nice set of kitchen knives: a Henckels 9 inch Chef's knife, Paring knife, serrated Bread knife and Slicing knife. Also,I have a Wusthof serrated all-purpose knife. Do I need any additional knives for a basic set?

Can I ask, is there a difference between a sharpening steel and a ceramic “steel” with very fine grit, like 1200? Are they interchangeable?

Legion

Staff member
Can I ask, is there a difference between a sharpening steel and a ceramic “steel” with very fine grit, like 1200? Are they interchangeable?
Ceramic will remove a little metal. So they are more of a hone. An imprecise hone, that will munt your edge unless your technique is on point. A metal one will more align the edge, which is the idea.

Both WAY better than a diamond version. Avoid those at all cost, unless you like binning knives.

I have a nice set of kitchen knives: a Henckels 9 inch Chef's knife, Paring knife, serrated Bread knife and Slicing knife. Also,I have a Wusthof serrated all-purpose knife. Do I need any additional knives for a basic set?
I would say that it depends on what cooking you do. No backups? No boning knife? No fillet knife? Sushi knife?

Last edited:
If there is a Filipino , Thai or Chinese market near you a cheap carbon cleaver is nice to have . They can take a good edge for short periods , not much money , maybe $15 - $25 ...... Amazon has several with good ratings under $25

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-16 104926.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 104926.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-09-16 104810.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 104810.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-09-16 104653.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 104653.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2023-09-16 104537.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 104537.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 7

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Ceramic will remove a little metal. So they are more of a hone. An imprecise hone, that will munt your edge unless your technique is on point. A metal one will more align the edge, which is the idea.

Both WAY better than a diamond version. Avoid those at all cost, unless you like binning knives.
Steels can sharpen a bit if they are ridged or coated with something abrasive, but they are intended to hone, straightening the edge where it may have rolled. A polish steel removes nothing. From there begin degrees of aggressiveness. To sharpen you need sharpening tools like water stones or an electric sharpener or something else.

IMHO, all the knives you "need" are a Chef's knife, pairing knife, and bread knife. Obviously you have that covered.

I know it is not a knife per se, but I also feel that you "need" a good sharpening steel.
I have a sharpening steel and also a high-quality Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener. I can't abide dull knives.

I have a sharpening steel and also a high-quality Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener. I can't abide dull knives.
After reading several good reports on the Chef's Choice by pro chefs , and watching it ranked #1 on America's Test Kitchen , I purchased one about 5 years ago . It does change the angle to the Japanese style taper, but it's for the better . This electric sharpener really does work very well. Some complain of " marring " above the edge , but it's very slight, not on every knife and nobody is going to see it anyway . A great little machine .

I've been using a santoku for a long time and I'm presently looking to replace the one I have. Something with more carbon in the steel. Most of these style knives have a 15 degree angle which means I will also have to purchase a sharpener with that angle. Chefs choice does make one also some sharping stones come with a set of guides for different blade angles.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Nope. You have the basics more than covered.

Happy cooking.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Interesting about the sharpeners.

We have a set of nice German kitchen knifes that I bought Mrs. C at an outlet about 35 years ago. Oh how she complained about that "frivolous purchase" at the time. But she's used them everyday since. The chopper especially.

A big carver, a chopping knife, some sandwich knives, a parer, and a few others. It also came with a sharpening steel and a storage block.

Other than the once a year I take a very mild stone to them, all they've ever seen is the sharpening steel. And any of them could still cut your finger off in one slice.

I've been very leery about more aggressive sharpening and amateurs, as there are many horror stories about the machines and even the local hardware store people ruining the blades of good knives.

But there's a little sharpening shop a couple towns north who does all the restaurants, and he drives a little van around the area stores for the locals, and also has walk in service. I'm contemplating taking the two big ones up to his shop and let him look at them. Only about $5 or 10 for him to do each. After 35+ years, maybe they could use a refresh.

Interesting about the sharpeners.

We have a set of nice German kitchen knifes that I bought Mrs. C at an outlet about 35 years ago. Oh how she complained about that "frivolous purchase" at the time. But she's used them everyday since. The chopper especially.

A big carver, a chopping knife, some sandwich knives, a parer, and a few others. It also came with a sharpening steel and a storage block.

Other than the once a year I take a very mild stone to them, all they've ever seen is the sharpening steel. And any of them could still cut your finger off in one slice.

I've been very leery about more aggressive sharpening and amateurs, as there are many horror stories about the machines and even the local hardware store people ruining the blades of good knives.

But there's a little sharpening shop a couple towns north who does all the restaurants, and he drives a little van around the area stores for the locals, and also has walk in service. I'm contemplating taking the two big ones up to his shop and let him look at them. Only about $5 or 10 for him to do each. After 35+ years, maybe they could use a refresh.
I've never heard of a sandwich knife. Is this like a bread knife?

I didn't see a Cleaver mentioned, but I'd add one of those. I have a Lee Valley Japanese one that doubles as a transfer tool after I'm done chopping up all the ingredients. If I am trying to limit the tools for washing, I'll use this for everything from cuttings up carrots and celery to trimming fat or breaking down a chicken.

For the kitchen: 8-9" chef, bread, pairing and cleaver. That's all you need.

I have a couple specialty BBQ knives: 12-14" slicer, 10" butcher and a 7" cleaver. You can get away without these but they are fun to pull out after smoking ribs or for spatchcocking chickens.

The bbq knives are mainly for larger cuts of meat, cutting through bones and more rugged.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I've never heard of a sandwich knife. Is this like a bread knife?

It's not serrated like a bread knife, but is about the same length, and handles similarly.

Not too much different from a very good steak knife. Occasionally, I'll use it for my Delmonicos at the table.

Top Bottom