What's new

Help with broken Toggle adjustment dial

Hey all,

I recently come into possession of a 5 speed Toggle with a broken adjustment dial. When I twist it, the dial moves freely but it seems as though it is no longer attached to any internal mechanism. Is this an understandable problem? Is there anything I can do about it? I know people have had poor luck taking these things apart to fix them, is it even worth the try? Maybe someone with a better understanding of the mechanism could help meunderstand what is going on.

Thank you.

Hey all,

I recently come into possession of a 5 speed Toggle with a broken adjustment dial. When I twist it, the dial moves freely but it seems as though it is no longer attached to any internal mechanism. Is this an understandable problem? Is there anything I can do about it? I know people have had poor luck taking these things apart to fix them, is it even worth the try? Maybe someone with a better understanding of the mechanism could help meunderstand what is going on.

Thank you.

Greetings,

What serial number is on the bottom of the head?

Have you tried soaking it over night in warm soapy water?

The last thing I would try is disassembly.....

Greetings,

What serial number is on the bottom of the head?

Have you tried soaking it over night in warm soapy water?

The last thing I would try is disassembly.....

Hi,

From what I remember, it doesn't have serial number, but I am away from it for the weekend.

I will try soaking it when I have the chance, but like I said, by feel it doesn't seem to be connected to anything on the inside.

Hi,

From what I remember, it doesn't have serial number, but I am away from it for the weekend.

I will try soaking it when I have the chance, but like I said, by feel it doesn't seem to be connected to anything on the inside.

It is possible that with enough soaking the inner working parts may become free, re-engage and resume working (soaking will not hurt). I may have jumped the gun with the serial number question, but I took your statement about a "5 speed Toggle" to mean the dial is numbered 1 through 5. Can you recall if the numbers continue to 9?

It is possible that with enough soaking the inner working parts may become free, re-engage and resume working (soaking will not hurt). I may have jumped the gun with the serial number question, but I took your statement about a "5 speed Toggle" to mean the dial is numbered 1 through 5. Can you recall if the numbers continue to 9?

It is most certainly only numbered 1-5. I shall try soaking it. You suggest warm soapy water, the thread Alex posted one person suggests a light ammonia solution. Would one be better than the other?

It is most certainly only numbered 1-5. I shall try soaking it. You suggest warm soapy water, the thread Alex posted one person suggests a light ammonia solution. Would one be better than the other?

When you do the soapy water soaking, try heating some water then with the razor in a bowl squirt some dish soap on the razor. Next pour the heated water over the razor and let cool. Repeat this several times and working the moving parts when the water has cooled. The thermal action works to free stuck parts.

Be gentle with your razor. This 1-5 model is not seen every day. Gentle soap would be easier on the paint. Your razor has had 50 years to get “glued tight”. Take a few days to gently undo this.

Good luck and look for a four digit number on the flat under side of the head. Is your razor gold plated? (Hint: We love pictures around here.)

"the dial moves freely but it seems as though it is no longer attached to any internal" it may be disconnected

Last edited:
I understand it is a less common model, so I'm going to be quite gentle. The gold plating is a bit rough, though. I have one quick pic I took before leaving town for the weekend. Here ya go.

If it is disconnected internally, is there anything I can do?

proxy.php

Last edited:
I understand it is a less common model, so I'm going to be quite gentle. The gold plating is a bit rough, though. I have one quick pic I took before leaving town for the weekend. Here ya go.

Honestly, I would only be guessing. I've not had one apart and have not even seen one apart.
I have been lucky enough to find two of these early adjustables. These were made in ’56 and thought to be Gillette's first dial adjustable. The blade is adjusted more like the later FatBoy than a standard Toggle so the pictures in the take apart thread are not correct for your razor.

Also if I might offer one more bit of advise. Do not try to turn anything with tools. Your fingers should not hurt anything while hand tools might.

These may not be fair questions as you do not have the razor with you, but:

Does the dial turn 1 to 5 and stop or does it go past 1 and 5 and keep on going?

Does the flat plate on the bottom of the head move up and down if the doors are open?

Do the doors move / open when the toggle is moved?
(One direction the doors should open completely and the other way the doors open slightly to allow rinsing.)

This happens alot with Toggles, Theres a good chance that the this
proxy.php
broke off...you may need amother toggle to get the piece out.

From what I remember:The dial moves freely from 1 to 5, but stops at the lowest and highest.I do not think the baseplate moves at all when the doors are open (this one I'm most uncertain of).The doors do easily open and close completely with the toggle mechanism.It is good to know that the mechanism is more like the Fatboy that the other Toggles, thank you for that info!

From what I remember:The dial moves freely from 1 to 5, but stops at the lowest and highest.I do not think the baseplate moves at all when the doors are open (this one I'm most uncertain of).The doors do easily open and close completely with the toggle mechanism.It is good to know that the mechanism is more like the Fatboy that the other Toggles, thank you for that info!

Just try a longer soak

Can you explain more what "this" is?

Never mind, i think you just may need to soak it longer, this is from past user :

SHO32
user-offline.png
Proraso Pirate

I recently aquired a F4 Toggle off evil-bay which had a similar problem. I could move it from 9-7 and no further. I let it soak for a couple days and it got so it would work from 9-5 or 9-6 but not easily. What I finally did was take a few pipe cleaners and clean under the blade tray. You will see where the gunk really builds up near the center of the razor. Get as much of this out of there as possible. Then after not being able to get anything else to work I used a couple of drops of Kroil around the adjuster knob, down the center shaft which operates the doors and between the blade tray and the safety bars where they come up through the center of the razor. I let the Kroil soak in for a day or so and it worked through the build up of what ever was preventing the adjusting mechanism from working.

After I got the adjusting mechanism where it would move I submerged the razor in hot water and worked the toggle and the adjusted back and forth. You would be amazed at the crap which worked it's way out of the razor once it was moving freely. I managed to do all this with out using an ultra sonic cleaner but I keep thinking maybe I should run the razor through one just to be safe. I really didn't want to as all the numbers and Reddot were still present on this razor and I didn't want to risk them falling out.

Alex, that suggestion doesn't sound like my razor at all.. my dial and toggle mechanism moves freely, not stuck. Instead it seems like it is disconnected internally as the dial does nothing.

This happens alot with Toggles, Theres a good chance that the this
proxy.php
broke off...you may need amother toggle to get the piece out.

I'm sorry Alex, not trying to be rude, but that shaft raises the doors and does not cause his symptoms.

My hope would be that if something is stuck, it can be freed up......may the force be with you.

Alex, that suggestion doesn't sound like my razor at all.. my dial and toggle mechanism moves freely, not stuck. Instead it seems like it is disconnected internally as the dial does nothing.
oh.......its broken off the adjuster mechanism. You need to get a spare part from somewhere. It may need replacement

I'm sorry Alex, not trying to be rude, but that shaft raises the doors and does not cause his symptoms.

My hope would be that if something is stuck, it can be freed up......may the force be with you.
Yes, I mis read the post....he needs to take it apart and replace the adjuster mechanism, it's broken off.

$3176023116_df6e9eac2e.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom