What's new

Help, positive thoughts and guidance to under go my next task I need to get thru.

I need some encouragement and guidance for a task I have been needing to do since the historic floor of 2016. It took 11 months to get the house back together and just finished the garage during the beginning of the pandemic. I need to clean up, straighten, and figure out what I need to do with the razors and misc. accessories I have left. I am not looking for sympathy because as they say it is what it is. We had 5' of water in our house and left by boat, Sandi and the 2 dogs are good and everything else did not matter that much. This experience has taught me a many things I do not want to go thru this experience again and would not wish on anyone. Things can be replaces lives can not. Many things do not float, except for our foam mattress we thru a few items on the bed not thinking the water would get that high and the were perfect.

I went thru everything after the flood and saved what could be saved and just put it in the attic of the garage. Things like wood cases, cardboard boxes, steel anything, etc. didi not fair well. Just for a note to other collectors some of your items might be more rare now since for example 4 pre 1910 Gillette case did not survive.

Here is what I have to go thru again.
7F614341-B382-4461-86D6-7E91159FF774_1_105_c.jpeg
759BB7F7-5A80-44D4-A5D6-DA6B7542C0E6_1_105_c.jpeg

Eben Stone

Staff member
I need to clean up, straighten, and figure out what I need to do with the razors and misc. accessories I have left.

Not sure if your planning on keeping it all. Here is something I've done to organize tons of stuff on a few occasions:

You need to organize all the stuff into 4 groups. You can put a giant + shape on the floor using duct tape, or 4 large boxes, 4 trash barrels, etc.

Zone 1 is for trash.

Zone 2 is for stuff that isn't trash but you need to get rid of it. Gifts. Donations. Sell it. Etc.

Zone 3 is for stuff you want to keep buy you don't have to do anything special with it right now.

Zone 4 is for all your specialty items. Fragile or extremely valuable items. Anything that you need to do something special with it today. Perhaps you have half an antique razor and you cant find the other half yet. Put it here so you dont loose it and you can find it easily when you find the other half.

Start moving the stuff into the 4 zones. When your done, throw the zone 1 trash away. Do whatever you need to do with the zone 4 specially items. Then after that, you can focus on the zone 2 and 3 items.

If you have a lot of stuff in zone 2 and 3, then break up each of those into 4 sub-zones:

1 is important, deal with this today.
2 is important but it can wait for tomorrow.
3 is unimportant but needs to be dealt later (this week).
4 is unimportant and deal with it (whenever).

That organization method is called the "Eisenhower Box" and it can be applied to almost any project.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have no idea what you could possibly be going through. What I’m looking at looks like all your shaving stuff.

Razors - save em. You can take a toothbrush and toothpaste to them and they will clean up fine. Even if they have a little rust, no worries. Just set them aside and scrub harder.

Soaps - rinse them off, dry them off. they are fine.

Creams - if they are soaked and spoiled just throw them out. They are cream....meh.

Sorry for your loss man. Ultimately however you deal with it is up to you.

Sorry!!

Getting to this point was a huge accomplishment! Mostly, CONGRATULATIONS on figuring out what is really important!

In terms of organizing, I would stop by Home Depot or a fishing store and purchase a bunch of plastic organizers (usually used for hardware or fishing lures), then start on one end and work your way through!

Be ruthless, and view this as an opportunity for ’culling the herd!’ :punk: :punk:

Wow. Sorry to hear about what you have gone through.

Looks like you have a LOT of razors.

If you are a user, rather than a collector, find one of each type of razor you want to save and use. Clean up and sell or PIF the rest. If you don't want to go through the trouble of selling them individually, you can sell them as large lots on ebay. You won't get top dollar, but you will get something and they will be out of your house.

Good luck.

P.S. If you happen to have an extra Toggle in there somewhere and you feel like PIF'ing it, I'm here for you. :thumbup1:

I am not as much of collector as I used to be. I always enjoyed the thrill of the hunt to find the strange and unusual.

I have already thrown away the items that could not be saved. I have separated the broken and missing parts into 1 box about the size of a shoe box (size 13 shoe box), thought I would hang on to it for now if the parts are needed.

At this point in time I am leaning toward selling as much as I can to recoup some of the money.

One of the things that makes me feel bad about this situation is that the items that were lost or destroyed is that no one else will be able to enjoy them. I feel that antiques are items that we own for awhile and then we pass them on to the next person.

I had more hardware than software. The one software group I do miss was the shave powders. I had 3 large mostly full and several small tins. The Ovil brand was me favorite.
CA8FEFE4-420E-4024-87E3-4FD0CD8C2781_1_105_c.jpeg

Feeling for you, brother!
But, this should be a lesson to all of us!
First, PIF big and often!! Especially soft goods!
Let others enjoy these rare items.
Second, imagine what our kids/heirs would want/do with all the stuff we collect!
99% will toss everything!
So, lesson #1 for most things; for the most valuable, designate/segregate what those are so they can be auctioned or kept.
Here's a PIF I was delighted to list a couple months ago!

frag pif sep 2020.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I think I would find it a little overwhelming.

You've got some pointers here that hopefully will help. I would try to identify what is trash, first of all, & get it out of there. Items that you want to keep but can be worked on later, store for later. Everything in between, take courage my friend, you'll get through it.

I am truly sorry for your loss. Not just the shaving gear. For your home & all you have invested in it. I can't imagine the emotional & physical toll it's taken on you & your family. If it's possible to get encouragement & strength from the internet, you're at the right place. We care for you!

Not sure if your planning on keeping it all. Here is something I've done to organize tons of stuff on a few occasions:

You need to organize all the stuff into 4 groups. You can put a giant + shape on the floor using duct tape, or 4 large boxes, 4 trash barrels, etc.

Zone 1 is for trash.

Zone 2 is for stuff that isn't trash but you need to get rid of it. Gifts. Donations. Sell it. Etc.

Zone 3 is for stuff you want to keep buy you don't have to do anything special with it right now.

Zone 4 is for all your specialty items. Fragile or extremely valuable items. Anything that you need to do something special with it today. Perhaps you have half an antique razor and you cant find the other half yet. Put it here so you dont loose it and you can find it easily when you find the other half.

Start moving the stuff into the 4 zones. When your done, throw the zone 1 trash away. Do whatever you need to do with the zone 4 specially items. Then after that, you can focus on the zone 2 and 3 items.

If you have a lot of stuff in zone 2 and 3, then break up each of those into 4 sub-zones:

1 is important, deal with this today.
2 is important but it can wait for tomorrow.
3 is unimportant but needs to be dealt later (this week).
4 is unimportant and deal with it (whenever).

That organization method is called the "Eisenhower Box" and it can be applied to almost any project.

have seen this in business models myself.

good plans and prioritizing.

camo

Top Bottom