What's new

Help me shave my head...

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I'm shaving my head with Wahl trimmers now. It's not very easy, though. I'm interested to know what kind of a specialized gizmo can shave my head like a champ.
I saw a few options through the years, but don't remember what they were. My memory is not that good. :/
Any help appreciated.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I've been shaving my head for many years. I used a Gillette Sensor Excel when I started, but I now use my DE razors and they work great for me.

The Claymore Evolution ( thanks, again @Phoenixkh ) is an excellent choice for head shaving as well, imho.

I started shaving mine in my early 30's. I tried everything from trimmers to electrics to carts and DE. While I get a decent shave from SOME DE razors, not all of them work for me. I went back to carts and it makes it much easier. Less passes and takes less time. I have a Fusion that works fairly well but for an even closer shave, the Trac II/Atra works even better. I also get about a months worth of shaves from the Personna Trac II carts and sometimes more from the Fusion. I don't have a lot of hair up there anyway, so it's mostly the back that still grows.

I may be odd compared to the guys here, but head shaving for me is more of a chore than an enjoyable hobby.

I'm a daily headshaver here. I would highly recommended a supespeed of sorts such as my personal favorite... the Gillette Starburst. Mild and efficient. This razor is a beauty in more ways than one and the handle is longer which is what you want my friend. I get BBS shaves in the shower in matter of minutes. I also frequently use a #16 British Crat regularly on the noggin that i got from someone here... lol Keep us updated and I hope you find what works best for you!

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah, also shaving my head for 25+ years. Mostly electric, though, until I switched. Much better shaves now!

I like a nice slant razor and an Astra SP blade. Works for me.

You can use whatever you like. I've used DEs, SEs, and shavettes. I like the DE slant about the best but that's me. I get lots of good shaves no matter what I use.

Best advice is to lather up and dive in. If it's not working, try something else.

O.H.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'm shaving my head with Wahl trimmers now. It's not very easy, though. I'm interested to know what kind of a specialized gizmo can shave my head like a champ.
I saw a few options through the years, but don't remember what they were. My memory is not that good. :/
Any help appreciated.
You could always let @rbscebu give your head a nice SR shave. 😋:)

I've used cartridge razors for my face for 35 years. When I went to full shaved head still used cartridges (Gillette Fusion) and Gillette Foamy sensitive skin. My brother introduced me to DE shaving a couple months ago and though it is a learning curve getting some small nics and abrasions, I'll never go back to cartridges. I have a $10 no name and used an Astra Platinum (razor was way too aggressive), then moved to 1940's Gillette Platinum with Gillette Blue Silver blade (mild shave). I just started using a Merkur Progress with the sample blade (just 3 times now) first pass on '3' and stop there or do a second pass on '1'. I was using Arko stick until just my last shave but now tried Proraso sensitive skin cream and it is much better than Arko IMO. I'm a newbie and loving it!

I wish there was a main section dedicated to headshavers here; is there a way I can request that?

I was using Harry's for my head shaves when I discovered DE shaving. Too chicken to use DE on my head, I bought a Leaf (the triple blade) to get off of cartridges completely, and it works great. I can get a quick 2-pass (WTG, ATG) BBS head shave with no irritation or blood. For me, it's an autopilot shave with very good results.

My latest, more pricey option, is a stainless steel Blackland Vector with Feather ProGuard blades that I use exclusively for head shaves. I get the same results as with the Leaf, but it takes me a bit longer. Haven't had a nick or cut since I started using it - about 2 months ago (jinx).

I use each and every DE razor in my den for both beard and head. Some are fantastic, some not so great. But that does not matter. Every combination of razor, blade and soap is a challenge as every shave is. If I would not enjoy this every other day queest, I would use a cart. I bought a batch of Gillette Guard from India for that purpose, but have not used them yet.
If you wish to keep using DE razors, I strongly recommend ultra light razors. Head shaving requires a very specific technique, due to the structure of the skull bones. The heavier the razor, the more difficult the differentiation in pressure becomes, thus increasing the chance to nick your skin.
I would say my vintage and polymere vintages are the pinnacle for my idea and way of head shaving, but any light razor would fit my ideas.
My guiding principle: the lighter, the better.
And I agree with @Old Hippie : slants deliver an extra dimension of efficiency to a head shave.

Yeah, also shaving my head for 25+ years. Mostly electric, though, until I switched. Much better shaves now!

I like a nice slant razor and an Astra SP blade. Works for me.

You can use whatever you like. I've used DEs, SEs, and shavettes. I like the DE slant about the best but that's me. I get lots of good shaves no matter what I use.

Best advice is to lather up and dive in. If it's not working, try something else.

O.H.

+1! This^

There is no substitute for experience.

I have been shaving my head for a number of years now I’ve tried different razors ( cartridge, DE razors ) with mixed results.
Recently bought a Leaf razor and it has been the best of them all gives me a great shave every time.
Have only used leaf razor blades in it so far so looking forward to trying different blades soon.

Top Bottom