What's new

Help me identify what i'm allergic to

I have problems with some soaps and creams, but i can't really find the common ingredient. I'm getting mostly burning sensation, especially around the mustache area and on the neck when i'm using them. It gets worse on second and third pass. I was thinking that some of them have alcohol, so that's what i'm feeling, but, it more of a rash feel than sting. Anyway, i don't think it's the case, as i'm having the same reaction even with an 0% alcohol cream.

So, here are the soaps that made this reaction. Gonna post ingredients too:
- Cella - Cocos Nucifera, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hidroxide, Sodium Hidroxide, Aqua, Potassium Carbonate, Parfum.
- Stirling Sharp Dressed Man - Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Castor Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Potassium & Sodium Hydroxide, Almond Oil, Lanolin, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Fragrance Oil, Clay, Sodium Lactate
- Lea stick (new formulation) - Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Lanolin, Parfum, Cocamide DEA, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide.
- La Toja shave stick - Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmitate, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Mineral Salts, Coumarin, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Cl77891.
- Nivea Sensitive shaving cream - Water, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Sea Salt, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Bark/Leaf Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Maltodextrin.

Now, soaps that do not give me any kind of problems:
- Tabac
- Proraso green
- Proraso red
- DR Harris Arlington
- Arko
- Palmolive cream
- Nivea shaving cream (regular, blue one)
- Speick stick

Can't really find a common ingredient that's known as being allergen. Also, was thinking about the essential oils, but, i'm all over the map scent-wise.
My main problem is that i'm also getting very bad shaves with posted products. Feeling them that way probably distract me and i'm not concentrating enough on shaving.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Parfum/ fragrance is a good suspect as many manufactures use fragrance oils rather than essential oils..

You can always test on the inside of your elbow for a reaction before shaving to remove any trepidation and distraction. Creams seem to have more reactive products than hard soaps so perhaps stick with that for a while. Good luck.

On the inside of my elbow there is no reaction. Even on face, the reaction is just felt, not seen, i don't get rash, or something like it. Just icky, stingy sensation.
About dermatologist, i know that i have an allergy on dust from plants (not pollen). But that manifests with some small protuberances on my ankles and on hand joints, when i walk through grass or something. Saw about three of them for that problem, and all gave different answers and cremes, nothing worked, just me not going through grass anymore without wearing long pants.

Not looking forward, because i expect some of the previous answers, all kind of speculations, but not even a test performed, as we don't have the best medical care around my location, and to travel few hundred miles just to see what ingredient from the soaps makes me hate them, does not feel too cost-effective. I can try tens of soaps for the money and just keep whatever is working. :)

Parfum/ fragrance is a good suspect as many manufactures use fragrance oils rather than essential oils..

You can always test on the inside of your elbow for a reaction before shaving to remove any trepidation and distraction. Creams seem to have more reactive products than hard soaps so perhaps stick with that for a while. Good luck.

+1
This is my theory at the moment. I get what I think is a similar reaction from: Ogallala bay rum (comes and goes), sometimes proraso from the tub, and LASS woody lavender (currently in use, luckily it is a sample). IMO, some EO might cause the same problem, depending on the extraction method.
The bad news is you can't easily tell if the next soap you wanna try will not agree with your skin.
Edit: just remembered the same thing happened for 2-3 shaves with B&M bay rum. Afterwards it was fine and now really like that soap.

Last edited:
Maybe consult a dermatologist?

^^^^^^ This! Unless someone is qualified to do so and has examined you, people here can't do what you are asking. Get checked out for possible allergies and then you'll know what to avoid, not just shaving soaps.

I suspect that you can't find a common ingredient as there isn't one, and are not actually allergic to an ingredient but are finding that some products just don't agree with you, and therefore you should just not use them. While you won't know for sure which other soaps will and won't have this affect on you until you use them, at least you know which ones you can use.

That's my concern too. I'm pretty disappointed when I wanna try a soap and find out that I can't use it.

Any chance it's just your technique? Or razor/blade combination? Maybe the soaps you are using when you get the reaction, aren't as cushiony, or as slick (or any myriad of properties) that makes the blade interaction with your face different?

They feel the same. As lather goes, it looks exactly like with others. Actually, some are slicker than anything else (like Cella). I'm getting the burning sensation right from the start, on some areas of my face, mostly around the mustache area and on the neck, without blade even touching my face. On the second pass, the feeling extends on mostly all of the covered face.

I had a discussion about shaving with the dermatologist I went to in FL. I asked him what products would be recommend for a person who has razor bumps, irritation, etc. Much to my surprise he advocated the use of a shaving brush saying this did a better job of preparing the skin for shaving. He also recommended that you use a razor with one blade or two. For people with extra sensitive skin he recommended a shaving gel made by Dove that is meant for sensitive skin. He also recommended cold water shaving.

My thing is that i don't have sensitive skin. I don't get razor burns, irritation, or things like that after shaves. If i stick with soaps and creams that does not give me that sensation, i can lather as much as i want and i'm getting awesome shaves.

Today started up with Stirling Sharp Dressed Men for first pass and move at Proraso for second and third passes.

Any chance it's just your technique? Or razor/blade combination? Maybe the soaps you are using when you get the reaction, aren't as cushiony, or as slick (or any myriad of properties) that makes the blade interaction with your face different?
This...maybe.

My very first attempt using Cella resulted in some uncomfortable irritation, and I thought "holy crap! just bought what some think is the best shave soap on the planet, and i can't use it because I'm allergic!"

After some thought -- and brushing up [pardon the pun] on the Marco Method, I concluded that the lather was a little "sticky" because of insufficient water, and lacked the slickness and cushion needed to accommodate my less-than-perfect technique, resulting in razor rash. I've since learned to love Cella, and don't get any irritation.

If I don't pay attention to the quirks that each soap has and use the proper lather-building technique (again, different for each soap), my razor (actually the razor user) can cause irritation.

My $0.02...

Essential oils are just as likely to cause allergic reactions as fragrance oils (if the producer is careful about only using fragrances that are specifically for use in soap). Many essential oils are sensitizers, and the quality, freshness and quantity used in the soap is what may cause irritation with some soaps and not with others.

Razor rash can't appear as long as no razor is involved. If i apply Cella on my face right now, it will sting as hell. I've used few times, especially because it was my first cream. Thought i will accommodate with the sting over the time, but i did not.

Anyway, no lather should sting when you apply it over your face, no mater if you add more or less water.

I react to a lot of the same products as you. I add a little paroso green cream to them, and the burning sensation goes away. May work for you.

Gonna try that. It might be the menthol in it, making your face a little numb?

I plan in getting some unscented soaps. I think i'll order from Sterling, a sample of the unscented one. At least i would have a base, and i would be able to blame essential oils.

Last edited:
Sorry to tell you but your description sounds terribly familiar.
There's no way around trying the soap to know.
Yes, unscented might do the trick (for now)

Allergies are complicated so you should see a Doctor. We're just a bunch of idiots. If you have a real problem See. A. Doctor.

Top Bottom