What's new

Help, I'm losing my hair

Well B&B my hairline is receding (I've never had a good hairline since I was a child) and if I play with my hair at all (on the sides) there will be some hairs coming out.

My Mother's Father (Grandfather) has hair around the sides and none on top. I've known forever this time would come and have enjoyed my longer hair but know eventually I'll have to take it down. For a long time I've had hair a few inches long, never brushed or combed, just air dried so you really never knew I had a poor hairline.

To my question: Not knowing much about hair loss I know there are a couple kinds and some you can use Rogaine for others you can't. Is there anything I can do to keep my hair or do I start counting the days until I shave it all off?

1. Embrace it
2. Cut shorter and embrace it
3. Shave it and embrace it
4. Try a Rogaine or similar to see if it works for your type, if not then see 1, 2, 3.
98. Combover
99. Toupee
100. That spray paint stuff

Shave it Yourself, I'm in the same boat. You will never pay for a haircut again, freeing up funds to spend on more shaving products. :)

Honestly, I wish I'd started shaving my head earlier in the hair loss process. The manly thing to do is embrace what nature is doing. Oh, and a shaved head will not be a problem in your love life.

Combovers are unexceptable.
So are Toupee's.
Spray's are terrible.
Treatments are expensive.
Shave it, you won't regret it.

Less hair is a sign of progress. You are evolving, embrace it, you have been chosen to stand above the savages that surround you:thumbup1:

I submit to you:
$gorilla_02.jpg
$down_arrow.gif
$orangutan_img01-l.jpg
$down_arrow.gif
View attachment 277964
$down_arrow.gif
$PatrickStewartPicard101210-thumb-550x421-49096.jpg

(Caveat: This post is not intended to be read by anyone who may be offended by the idea of evolution......... Also probably should not be looked at too closely by anyone who knows anything about how evolution really works.)

Stop using shampoo. The chemicals are very harsh for your hair, and it removes all the oil. When you use shampoo, all you do is remove your natural oils from your head, then you use conditioner to put oils back on. It's a pointless cycle. Your hair needs the natural oils to grow well. So you should either cut down on the amount of shampoo you use (ie, water down the shampoo) or stop using it entirely. If you stop using it entirely, there's a couple weeks to a month where your hair will look like crap, but your hair eventually gets used to not having the oils stripped off, so it in return starts making less oil. Then all you gotta do is rinse your hair under water in the shower for a tad bit longer. If your hair feels particularly oily because it's rainy/hot out or whatever, use some lemon juice in your hair instead. Lemon juice takes the oil off, but unlike soaps which are alkaline, lemon juice is acidic. Acid makes your hair straighter and smoother, basically. The reason why if you use, say, a bar soap on your hair that it comes out bad is because it's alkaline, and alkaline makes your hair's "scales" stand up, but acids make them stay down. Also, without shampoo, your hair because it's oilier, will have more body, thus it thickens the hair.

Nutritionally, try having more fat in the diet. Specifically saturated fat. Your skin ends up getting dry and nasty, and your hair looks bad if there's no fat in the diet. Also, a Chinese herb you can look into is He Shou Wu, it's supposed to help hair grow better, it's basically a testosterone booster.

Stop using shampoo. The chemicals are very harsh for your hair, and it removes all the oil. When you use shampoo, all you do is remove your natural oils from your head, then you use conditioner to put oils back on. It's a pointless cycle. Your hair needs the natural oils to grow well. So you should either cut down on the amount of shampoo you use (ie, water down the shampoo) or stop using it entirely. If you stop using it entirely, there's a couple weeks to a month where your hair will look like crap, but your hair eventually gets used to not having the oils stripped off, so it in return starts making less oil. Then all you gotta do is rinse your hair under water in the shower for a tad bit longer. If your hair feels particularly oily because it's rainy/hot out or whatever, use some lemon juice in your hair instead. Lemon juice takes the oil off, but unlike soaps which are alkaline, lemon juice is acidic. Acid makes your hair straighter and smoother, basically. The reason why if you use, say, a bar soap on your hair that it comes out bad is because it's alkaline, and alkaline makes your hair's "scales" stand up, but acids make them stay down. Also, without shampoo, your hair because it's oilier, will have more body, thus it thickens the hair.

Nutritionally, try having more fat in the diet. Specifically saturated fat. Your skin ends up getting dry and nasty, and your hair looks bad if there's no fat in the diet. Also, a Chinese herb you can look into is He Shou Wu, it's supposed to help hair grow better, it's basically a testosterone booster.

What do you do about the smell of hair funk? I wash my hair twice a day because Im a very oily guy, and by the end of the day my hair smells pretty darn funky.

Aloe vera!

I read it somewhere? lol

I say try to go to the ethnic hair stores, a few products are geared for hair loss, breakage, strengthening your hair

A number of shampoos "thicken" it, but there is no solution for complete hair loss

Treat what you have left!

I ran into this same problem very early. I started losing hair at 18 and had a visibly receding hairline by my 20th birthday. Started having the hair on the top of my head get cut longer than the hair on the sides to try and compensate, but it never really looked good. By my 22nd birthday, I was dangerously approaching comb-over territory. Right now, I'm 23 and go with the #1 Buzz or no-guard route. I haven't ever "BIC'd" it because I don't want to risk getting ingrown hairs on top of my head, but if you're proficient at wet-shaving (I'm very new) then you may be able to avoid that.

I say embrace it, cut it off. The shorter, the better. I originally tried a #4 Buzz... then got it shaved with no guard less than 24 hours later. One of the best decisions I've ever made!

What do you do about the smell of hair funk? I wash my hair twice a day because Im a very oily guy, and by the end of the day my hair smells pretty darn funky.

Sounds like your body is overcompensating for you constantly stripping the natural oils off. Maybe try cutting back for a while to see if your body gets back into equilibrium?

Top Bottom