What's new

Help from any Karve shavemasters who shave both head and face...

I have been shaving with a double-edged Schick Krona since 1969. Never have had a problem with it. After discovering your forum through my son, and enjoying all of the threads, I decided that it was time to upgrade from my $1.49 Schick Krona to a Karve which came with an E plate from West Coast Shaving. I used a Derby Extra, instead of my usual Feather which I use in my Krona. I shaved my face around my beard and then my head. The KARVE with the E plate shaved my face and neck beautifully and delivered a BBS. My head was an entirely different matter. It was Dresden after the fire bombing! The right side of my head was fine, but the left had three or four nicks requiring my styptic along with a swathe of razor burn on the back left of my head. The new razor is a lot heavier than my Krona. I don’t know what happened. Should I step down to a B or C plate for my head. I’d like to use the Karve for my head as well as my face. Is it common to change plates on the Karve when moving from the face to the head? Help!!

E sounds awfully aggressive for a head shave. I’m not a head shaver, but I’d consider trying a Karve C or D, both of which I’ve found to be plenty smooth and efficient.

E sounds awfully aggressive for a head shave. I’m not a head shaver, but I’d consider trying a Karve C or D, both of which I’ve found to be plenty smooth and efficient.
The E gave me a beautiful face and neck shave. Closer than I ever got with my Krona. I worry that a C or D might be too aggressive for my head. What about a B? That apparently has negative blade exposure. The C is neutral. I just don’t get why my left side was brutalized and not my right?

I currently use the B plate OC, or the C plate SB with my Karve. E is just too aggressive for me. That being said, I cannot see why, if you get a good quality shave with it on your face, you cannot do the same for your scalp.

Questions . . .

Do you always shave face and scalp in unison? I have found that my first shave after a long layoff (one week or more) is always somewhat tender. I generally shave in unison with no swapping of plates or blades or anything else.

Was this your first scalp shave? See above.

Do you switch hands when you shave? (IE left hand for left side of the face/head, right hand for the right side).

The E gave me a beautiful face and neck shave. Closer than I ever got with my Krona. I worry that a C or D might be too aggressive for my head. What about a B? That apparently has negative blade exposure. The C is neutral. I just don’t get why my left side was brutalized and not my right?

Incorrect. The B plate is neutral, not the C. The specs are on the Karve website.

Pricing of razors is very personal. For myself, I don't mind buying more than one Karve plate because they are so inexpensive compared to other premium, modern razors. I don't head shave, but one of my very good friends does, and from what he says I would recommend the B plate for your head. My friend loves his ikon tech, but doesn't let it get anywhere near his head after his one and only try. This is someone who pretty much mastered daily straight razor shaving. So IMO, nothing really "happened", it's just that your head is a totally different beast than your face when it comes to shaving and yes, you need a different plate. JMO.

I shave the face and the head with Karve F plate. No problems here. but may be it's me. I also do it with iKon Tech.

I shave the face and the head with Karve F plate. No problems here. but may be it's me. I also do it with iKon Tech.

Well, there you go! I don't know of anything else in the world that has more "YMMV" than wet shaving.

Well, maybe music.... oh, and other art forms......and, yeah, never mind...

Well, there you go! I don't know of anything else in the world that has more "YMMV" than wet shaving.

Well, maybe music.... oh, and other art forms......and, yeah, never mind...
Thanks for the correction, JWK1. I guess I can attribute some of this to old muscle memory. After 50 years of shaving with my Krona with its negative to neutral blade exposure(see image), I guess I may be using more pressure than I was aware. The right side and back of my head were fine, it seems that when I shifted the razor to my left hand that things went downhill. Love that Karve, and at my age there’s no reason why I can’t get used to changing plates after finishing my face.

Attachments

• 63CC5755-159E-48C3-A042-EA37EA622FBA.jpeg
    63CC5755-159E-48C3-A042-EA37EA622FBA.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 18

Graydog

Biblical Innards
To me it sounds like a left hand, did you do the switch on your face also?
Was it the top or the side of your Head?

I did the shift with my face as well. I have been shaving my head for about three years. My supreme commander (I.e. my wife) was not a fan of MPB fringe. I think the issue with the left side of my head has to do more with the amount of curvature on the skull. I guess I’m just not as adept with my left hand is with my right technique-wise.

I use the D plate. I find, however, that I have to be extra careful when using my left hand. I use my left hand for only a small portion on my head (about one pass).

I use the D plate. I find, however, that I have to be extra careful when using my left hand. I use my left hand for only a small portion on my head (about one pass).
Excellent point, Jim! It never seemed to be an issue with my Krona, but clearly the E plate on the Karve is much more unforgiving, as I discovered when attempting to carry over my Krona technique to the Karve. I’m very grateful for the level of knowledge available here. It’s kind of funny that I never moved into any of the cartridge razors. My Krona worked for me, so i just stuck with it for 50 yrs. if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! I’ ve ordered a B plate which seems most in keeping with the Krona. It won’t be mailed until after 8/19 when Chris Karve returns from vacation. The Krona will take care of my headshaves till then. I love the E plate on my face and neck! It delivered the best shave I think i’ve ever had. I guess I’ll be a two plate Karve shaver.

If I remember correctly the reddit ama had the C plate being neutral to positive .01 however the website now says .09. I bought the C because of the advice from the data in the AMA and wasn't happy. There was too much blade feel for my head and my face. That being said I do like milder razors. I ended up selling it but if I had to do it again... I wouldn't go higher than a B.

If I remember correctly the reddit ama had the C plate being neutral to positive .01 however the website now says .09. I bought the C because of the advice from the data in the AMA and wasn't happy. There was too much blade feel for my head and my face. That being said I do like milder razors. I ended up selling it but if I had to do it again... I wouldn't go higher than a B.
Thanks, I changed my order from a C plate to a B!

And, who knows? Once you adapt to the Karve, you may find the E plate suddenly works better on your dome. Enjoy your new Karve when it arrives, it is a darn fine piece of gear.

And, who knows? Once you adapt to the Karve, you may find the E plate suddenly works better on your dome. Enjoy your new Karve when it arrives, it is a darn fine piece of gear.
Already have the Karve. Been using it daily with the E plate on my face. Still using my Krona for the dome. Looking forward to receiving my B plate. Won't be shipped until after Chris returns from holiday on 8/19.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I used a Derby Extra, instead of my usual Feather which I use in my Krona.

Derby Extra is a nice blade, one of my top 3. I've not had any issue with face shaves and from what I gather you havent either. They're very smooth and quite mild, therein may lie your problem.

For heavier, more dense growth, such as head shaving from what I gather from a few members, the blade just may not be up to the task. I routinely shave my face and neck directly ATG buffing first pass. I can easily do that with a few blades, but Derby Extra, even being in my top 3, isnt one of them.

You might try stepping up your blade choice, but I'm not sure I'd reach for a Feather just yet. A Polsilver or Astra SP would be a good blade to try.

Top Bottom