What's new

Hello from PDX

Hey there from hot Portland!

About a year ago I was out of the cheap ladies leg disposables I'd been using for decades and found this cheap Van der Hagen DE kit in the bottom of a closet. WOAH! That was a life changing experience, learning what a normal shaving experience could feel like. I'm also laughing at the fact men were getting better shaves 150 years ago than I was with those things.

Now that I have a little experience with a DE razor I've come to step up my game and try to suss out what my next level shaving kit looks like. After reading the posts here for a while, I've come to realize just how much I don't know. Or, at least, I'm starting to get my head around it all.

At this point in my research I'm considering the Lupo DC or the Lupo 95OC. Worried those might be a little to aggressive however and that I should start with something like the GameChanger 68 instead. I haven't even started to loop at a soap or brush yet! :)

You all represent eons of shaving experience and an awareness of the market that's a little staggering. Thank you so much for helping me learn there was so much to learn!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B. I am assuming that you are female. We have a few other active female members here. They are all great people.

LOL - no, sorry. I'm a guy prone to exaggeration. I wasn't actually using ladies leg razors. Practically perhaps. The cheapest disposable at Target/walmart lets say.

Welcome! I'm a big fan of the Lupos and would highly recommend them. If you're worried the 95OC might be too aggressive you could also get a 58 or 72SB plate for an extra $30 to start with. Word of warning from a fellow newbie - there are plenty of rabbit holes to fall down here ha.

Welcome to the forums. The Lupo is an excellent choice, in my opinion. I have the safety bar, but may venture to pick up the open comb base plate eventually.

Welcome! I'm a big fan of the Lupos and would highly recommend them. If you're worried the 95OC might be too aggressive you could also get a 58 or 72SB plate for an extra $30 to start with. Word of warning from a fellow newbie - there are plenty of rabbit holes to fall down here ha.

Thanks!! Yep, I was thinking just that, getting a 72SB bottom plate. Right on. It's so so cool you can change out parts and customize DE razors. Had no idea.

Seriously - you are not kidding. This site has cost me several evenings of sleep already! Having a great time learning though.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Cheers and welcome to the friendliest, best-shaven spot on the Internet. :)

I also suggest you have a look at the RazoRock BBS. It comes in three variations: the standard SB, standard OC and "aggressive step." The advantages of the BBS are that it puts a more severe curve on the blade (affecting both blade tension and shave angle), it is a moderately mild razor and it also has a low blade reveal. Low blade reveal with an excellent clamping system means you won't have any blade chatter even on hard hair.

I have one. I originally bought it because I wanted to check out the blade clamping and reveal. I bought both the OC and SB plates for it at the time. After using it both ways I decided I really liked the OC better. It simply gives me a good shave with no drama and is in fact the only "normal" DE I own alongside a pile of slants, some SE and a few shavettes.

I'm not totally opposed to a little drama. :) Since I wasn't using the SB plate I took it out to the shop and removed the bars, leaving the side posts. Now I have both a great OC razor (if I use that plate) or a solid devette that I can use for a naked-edge shave.

Note, because safety is important: Modifying a safety razor to make it an "unsafety razor" is something that you do on your own responsibility. Playing with sharp edges is not a safe endeavour, as witness countless posts here referencing cuts, gashes, nicks, weepers and other wounds -- for literally every kind of razor you can imagine.

You want scars? Go to Heidelburg and become a korpsbruder. :)

O.H.

Welcome fellow PDX'r
Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

The badger and blade community is amazing.

A venerable senior forum member reached out to me with a PM - turns out we live about a mile from each other. Yesterday we met and I feel like I compressed a year of forum reading into 45min. I had to leave far earlier than I wanted but I'm looking forward to another "class."

The majority of the time was a tour of Gillette safety razors over the last 100 years, he's got an amazing collection. Ah, to that's what an adjustable Slim is! That razor really caught my eye more than all the others, felt good in the hand. I might have to start the long hunt for one of those.

He was also generous to loan me a Lupo DC for a few weeks. I tried it for the first time this morning with three days of growth - and survived. LOL. Nervous like the first time I shaved 35 years ago. Ended up with one little nick, nothing bad at all. I think, like most newbies, I was overthinking the whole thing a bit.

This shave this morning was, without a doubt, the closet, best shave of my life. Not quite BBS by the forum standards I'm thinking, but a personal best for Flask. I've been rubbing my face all day :c9:

Thank you (you know who you are) and everyone else here at B&B, it's a new world opening for me.

Top Bottom