What's new

Healing and soothing aftershave splash

Nope they got it right apparently see below. There appears to be a distinction between witch hazel from just the leaf of the plant and witch hazel from the leaf, twigs and bark of the plant.

Scientific Facts:
Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water is obtained from the steam distillation of twigs, bark and leaves of the witch hazel plant, Hamemelis virginiana. Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water is obtained from the steam distillation of leaves of the witch hazel plant, Hamemelis virginiana.

Ah sorry, the Active Speick must have Witch Hazel as well then.

I had a quick look online as to the difference between active and original and there does not seem to be much difference, except for the scent. The active scent is stronger and more citrus like than the original.

I like the scent of Speick. A LOT. I wish it was much stronger though. It fades really fast and becomes extremely subtle and then dies completely. But man does it smell good. The soap is even better to my nose, but the AS is pretty nice.

As for "soothing and healing", it seems good. For me though, the PAA aftershaves seem to be more soothing. My favorite, which is now discontinued (darn it) has tea tree oil in it, which I think is part of it's soothing nature. Maybe it's just psychological, but it seems to make my face feel good. Though I should make sure to tell you that many PAA aftershaves have alum. Which I enjoy. But alum does burn if you have any kind of nicks or cuts. It's almost like a shaving quality indicator: The more burn you get from the alum in the AS, the worse of a job you did on your shave. I think the skin tightening effect from the alum is a nice addition too.

Brian.

Lots of good suggestions above. I find Chatillon Lux and Maol Grooming (Frosted) aftershaves to be the most soothing splashes among my (very large) collection. In particular, the Chatillon Lux Summertime Chill aftershaves, both Colbeck and Taum Sauk, are filled with tremendous face food and face-numbing menthol. Great stuff.

Upon further investigation, it looks like perhaps what I'm after is called a "tonic". I'm not sure if that's a universal term or not, and perhaps Speick aftershave falls into this category.
I use alum and witch hazel , so I think the astringent part is taken care of. I think what I need is a light moisturizing, healing product, again maybe that's what Speick aftershave is(???)

It looks like Lucky Tiger checks most of the boxes. Is it any good?

Try the Sebum Gold post shave serum. No alcohol and leaves skin smooth for hours. Its not cheap but it is well worth it. I also got some of the Chatillon Lux Taum Sauk. Its very soothing and leaves the face refreshed from the menthol, and supple from the glycerin.

Try the Sebum Gold post shave serum. No alcohol and leaves skin smooth for hours. Its not cheap but it is well worth it. I also got some of the Chatillon Lux Taum Sauk. Its very soothing and leaves the face refreshed from the menthol, and supple from the glycerin.

This is very good advice. These are two of my favorite aftershave products. Colbeck is the other Summertime Chill face-freezing splash from Chatillon Lux, and is just as good, to my nose and face. (Taum Sauk is currently unavailable.)

I got my Speick aftershave today. I wasn't holding my breath because their soap stick didn't work great for me. However, the aftershave is pretty darn great!

Top Bottom