What's new

Having problem with the toe of a new razor

I got a GD 1996 razor and honed it the other day. The problem I have which I seemed not to have picked up on at first is that the toe is not honed properly. Interesting that I didn't see this earlier. The first couple of mm on the toe is the problem. The rest of the bade is perfect. I figure I will go back to bevel set but I thought I reach out to you guys to see what you recommend. I did the tap and wobble test and I see no issues. Looked down the spine as well and it seems straight to me. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
JM

Yeah the rest of the blade shaves well, just the tip is the part that doesn't, bothers me since I use that part for the nose area.

If you shave with the last couple mm I'd be surprised.
Post a picture if you can.

If it looks like this, don't worry about it. It will catch up. If you can't get a comfortable shave with it - THEN deal with it.

Everyone seems to want you to do rolling X's with it to reach an area that is not really important. You will only make matters worse for yourself if you are new to honing.

If it boils down to the last 2mm, that really isn't an issue IMO. Unless one wants a spike point to dig in. Otherwise, give the toe some love...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This is extremely common. In fact, they will usually be like that.

My position on this is that the last tiny bit of the toe does not need to shave. In fact, for a newbie it is better if it does not. So no need to do anything about it. Just hone.

On the other side of the same coin, most honers even experienced ones overdo a rolling x. This does not fix the real problem. It makes it worse. All for the cause of making a totally unneccesary tiny little bit of the toe shave. A tiny little bit that totally doesn't matter for most shavers.

In time, the rest of the edge will wear and catch up to the toe.

So, plenty of reasons to leave it alone. No real, sensible reason to do anything about it, and if you do, you are probably doing more harm than good.

Your razor. Up to you. It's a $4 razor so no biggie.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I say keep yourself honest. And get the WHOLE edge. It isn't the only one you will find like this.

I agee.

This is extremely common. In fact, they will usually be like that.

My position on this is that the last tiny bit of the toe does not need to shave. In fact, for a newbie it is better if it does not. So no need to do anything about it. Just hone.

On the other side of the same coin, most honers even experienced ones overdo a rolling x. This does not fix the real problem. It makes it worse. All for the cause of making a totally unneccesary tiny little bit of the toe shave. A tiny little bit that totally doesn't matter for most shavers.

So, plenty of reasons to leave it alone. No real, sensible reason to do anything about it, and if you do, you are probably doing more harm than good.

Your razor. Up to you. It's a $4 razor so no biggie.

I agee.

1583930026910.png

It doesn't much matter if at all, but it's your razor.

Particularly if it's a razor you bought to practice on you might want to practice.

Personally, I tend to want the whole blade, the whole edge, just right, but I also deliberately dull the very most extreme tip of the toe on razors other than round nosed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I agee.

I agee.

View attachment 1073135

It doesn't much matter if at all, but it's your razor.

Particularly if it's a razor you bought to practice on you might want to practice.

Personally, I tend to want the whole blade, the whole edge, just right, but I also deliberately dull the very most extreme tip of the toe on razors other than round nosed.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I did get this razor to continue practicing my honing and the scales were a step up from the normal GB. Also for more clarification I went back and measured the area in the toe that is not shaving and its almost a half an inch. I am more inclined to hone it until the toe is shaving sharp, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Attachments

• 88982768-98C8-4F2A-A2CB-EFEA83FD0281.jpeg
    88982768-98C8-4F2A-A2CB-EFEA83FD0281.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I did get this razor to continue practicing my honing and the scales were a step up from the normal GB. Also for more clarification I went back and measured the area in the toe that is not shaving and its almost a half an inch. I am more inclined to hone it until the toe is shaving sharp, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

1996.Bevel.Is.Set.640.Kit.10-14-18JPG.JPG

My 1996 arrived sharp as sin except...the bevel at the heel was wrong.

It looked like it had been sharpened on a grinding stone (like a spinning grinding stone) but the bevel was in two planes. The bevel near the heel was obviously at another angle than the rest of the bevel. A much different angle.

Anyway, it took me forever on my Chosera 1K to fix it, but I did.

Now I'd use my Shapton 320 to do the heavy lifting. It's a great stone for such purposes. Coarse as all get out, but useful if you're careful not to go too far and to leave a significant amount of the work for the 1K stone and the 3K.

11-4-18.Wade&Butcher.1996.640.JPG

The 1996 gets little use. Here it's pictured with my old Wade which has since been rescaled for obvious reasons. Unfortunately I don't seem to have a photo showing the original angle at the 1996's heel.

GoldDollar.SR.9-10-18.New.480.JPG

This photo is when it was brand new, but it doesn't really quite pick up on the issue. Sorry.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
So no need to do anything about it. Just hone.

No need to address it until you have more experience.

I can guarantee that long before the edge wears down to catch up with the toe, you will either know how to deal with it or will be happy with ignoring it.

Buy a few more and get to work overcoming the imperfections of the blades. If your looking to learn then this is your chance. I remember early on, I used to cry and say "damn straight razor isnt straight! How am I supposed to hone this @#$% thing?" But you do, with difficulty at first, but then its all a piece of cake. ANd then its like a big light bulb goes off and........ enlightenment! LOL. Enjoy the process. You only have to learn it once.

Well found some time and reset the bevel making sure I paid attention to the toe and observed nice undercut. Moved to my 4K then 8 k and finished with my 12k. took A test shave tonight and it went very well a little harsh but my 12k always feels that way. It will take a couple of shaves before it mellows out. Thank you all for your input..

Top Bottom