What's new

Having problem with the toe of a new razor

Sorry guys been working like a mad man these last couple of days. I did get to shave with the razor after I rehoned it and it shave very well now. Seems that I got that troublesome toe finally. Used it about four times now and it has held up nicely. Thank you all for your advise. Stay safe during these uncertain times.

I know he got it sorted out, but I just wanted to say that this was a sore point for me also. I used to spend hours honing and honing, back to bevel set then up a progression. With tape without tape, meanwhile taking tons of steel off the razor.

2 major things got me to where it should be. Someone here had said they prefer a narrow hone just for the sole fact that you could focus on each point along the edge, but I had Shaptons that were wider. Then another member said simply imagine that your hone IS that narrow! I started to do just that and it blew my mind how I was suddenly able to get that last half an inch hht. After I did that I also began incorporating the rolling stroke, just slightly when I would get to the toe.

I also like that you guys pointed out that you don't always have to go back down to a bevel set if the toe doesn't seem up to par. If my form is correct then usually it works itself out and "catches up". Always more wisdom to be had here, I love it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I got a GD 1996 razor and honed it the other day. The problem I have which I seemed not to have picked up on at first is that the toe is not honed properly. Interesting that I didn't see this earlier. The first couple of mm on the toe is the problem. The rest of the bade is perfect. I figure I will go back to bevel set but I thought I reach out to you guys to see what you recommend. I did the tap and wobble test and I see no issues. Looked down the spine as well and it seems straight to me. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
JM
Don't worry about the toe. It doesn't need to be sharp. Most guys will blunt the toe anyway. Just hone. In time, maybe a generation or two, the rest of the edge will catch up to the toe and it will get honed and somebody will mute that toe cause it cuts him too often. Adding a roll to get the toe usually gets overdone. The problem, instead of going away, only gets worse. Unless it is like a quarter inch or something, just leave it be. Serious. That's what I do. Never got a complaint about it.

Top Bottom