What's new

Have you saved money?

And to answer your question " Have you saved money "

I will do within the next few years .

I have enough razor blades to last me 7 years and soaps will last me at least two years.

No other needs, after purchasing a few shaving bowls recently.

I will also make my own pre-shave oil using sweet almond oil and sandalwood or cedar essential oils ( further testing needed here )

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You can save money traditional wet shaving with a DE or SE(ASR razors) and that was one of many reasons I ventured this way of shaving. My wife was telling me that I should shave my head and I was a little leery of that but looked into it. At the time I still had a good scalp of hair and was visiting the barber at least every month costing me about $27 with tip Canadian. It cost me about $3 gas to go downtown to the mall where I got my hair cut. I told the wife for Christmas just buy me some hair clippers 4 years ago and that is when I started to save money. Also I stopped buying Gillette gel and cartridge blades for my Fusion 5 saving about $80 a year roughly( I shaved daily for my job requirements.)
So when you consider saving $30 month on haircuts and & $80 a year on cartridges & canned gel = $440 per year. 4 years later I have saved approximately $ 1,760 Canadian dollars. Some fellows head shave and that is the same savings as clipping your own hair IMO.
I have spent close to my total savings because I enjoy the different razors and now brushes.( I seemed to drift into the different acquisition disorders and enjoyed that also.)
I made this my newest hobby because of limited health reasons 2 years ago and it has kept my sanity(?) and just like learning how to shave properly & buying gear on sale and I don't need the best high priced gear out there but I also have some nice gear mostly. Never thought shaving could be enjoyable but it can be. Now I have all my gear paid for and at least 8 years worth of blades and enough soap for 3-5 years and all paid for. (I could sell most of my hardware gear but that is not going to happen anytime soon.)
If a fellow wants to save some money and learn how to shave properly he can easily buy a good adjustable or a good 3pc razor with 100pcs of DE blades and some soap with a good 24mm synthetic, boar or 2band 24mm badger brush or 2 and just enjoy yourself and over time you will save some money possibly if you can stay disciplined :lol: :letterk1:.

Last edited:
Save money and make your own ..

On the make your own theme :

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not at all, although that was the initial appeal. Got hooked on soaps, brushes, and vintage Gillette’s. I spend chunks of my day talking about it with strangers on the internet.
So. You're calling me strange?!?

1) It's not about saving money...it's about enjoying the shave.

2) I would rather give my money to an artisan -- they will appreciate it more than a soulless company like Gillette (they lost their way a long time ago).
I absolutely enjoy the shave. My soap is artisan. I am not sure if Feather is a soulless company, but they aren't Gillette and I use their razor and blades and am saving lots of money.

lasta

Blade Biter
WARS cream, Wilkinson Boar Brush, and a Wapienica got me through college. About $4 of consumables (cream) per year.

Nowadays, I still keep some WARS around, after trying about 40 different soaps/creams, this is still one of the best. Wilkinson has been replaced by an Omega, and Wapienica is nowhere to be found.

But my guess is a $20 Gold Dollar will get me through the rest of my life...if I'm inclined to take on that challenge.

No. I haven’t saved money and I would have to live to be about 200 years old to have any chance of ever breaking even.

Saving money was never my intention with this. I wanted a better shave and I wanted a razor that didn’t feel like a cheap plastic toy. I’ve achieved both of those.

Somewhere along the way my desire for the best save turned into a desire to try new things build a small collection or brushes, soaps, razors (primarily straight razors) and natural whetstones. I’ve topped out at around ten of each. More than I need oh course, but importantly for me, not more than I use. I don’t have everything but I have a nice selection and it still packs away nice and neat. I’ve learned a lot, developed some new skills and set aside a daily slot for mindfulness.

Saving money is easy, virtually guaranteed, as long as you buy one thing at a time and use it until it’s worn out or used up. If you spend much time on B&B, that’s highly unlikely to happen. You’ll probably get some sweet shaves though and your heirs will most likely have some cool stuff to remember you by.

Go with the flow and see where it takes you. There are worse things to waste your money on. With shaving gear, you at least have something to show for it. Most of it you can sell if you ever come to your senses.

Last edited:
You can save money traditional wet shaving with a DE or SE(ASR razors) and that was one of many reasons I ventured this way of shaving. My wife was telling me that I should shave my head and I was a little leery of that but looked into it. At the time I still had a good scalp of hair and was visiting the barber at least every month costing me about $27 with tip Canadian. It cost me about $3 gas to go downtown to the mall where I got my hair cut. I told the wife for Christmas just buy me some hair clippers 4 years ago and that is when I started to save money. Also I stopped buying Gillette gel and cartridge blades for my Fusion 5 saving about $80 a year roughly( I shaved daily for my job requirements.)
So when you consider saving $30 month on haircuts and & $80 a year on cartridges & canned gel = $440 per year. 4 years later I have saved approximately $ 1,760 Canadian dollars. Some fellows head shave and that is the same savings as clipping your own hair IMO.
I have spent close to my total savings because I enjoy the different razors and now brushes.( I seemed to drift into the different acquisition disorders and enjoyed that also.)
I made this my newest hobby because of limited health reasons 2 years ago and it has kept my sanity(?) and just like learning how to shave properly & buying gear on sale and I don't need the best high priced gear out there but I also have some nice gear mostly. Never thought shaving could be enjoyable but it can be. Now I have all my gear paid for and at least 8 years worth of blades and enough soap for 3-5 years and all paid for. (I could sell most of my hardware gear but that is not going to happen anytime soon.)
If a fellow wants to save some money and learn how to shave properly he can easily buy a good adjustable or a good 3pc razor with 100pcs of DE blades and some soap with a good 24mm synthetic, boar or 2band 24mm badger brush or 2 and just enjoy yourself and over time you will save some money possibly if you can stay disciplined :lol: :letterk1:.
Disciplined!?!? :eek2: Very few of those HERE! Including myself. :lol:

It was never my goal to save. The quality of the experience is more important to me. If I wanted to save, I could easily buy a brush and razor for less than $100, a year’s worth of Arko or similar and 100 Astra or similar blades for another approximately $30. $160 in year 1 and $30 a year thereafter could yield a savings.

In reality, I have purchased more razors than I need, more brushes than I need and spend more money on soap than I need to. For me the daily enjoyment of what had previously been a chore is the driver. All of that said, I have never made a “luxury” purchase that was ever beyond my means or would have impacted my family’s lifestyle.

Top Bottom