What's new

Have you saved money?

I didn't want to sound judgy, I know what area you live in and couldn't image living on bottom level Starbucks wages. Wherever you are in the hierarchy, as longer as you are surviving and enjoying your self. I will no longer poke you about buying things and needed this reminder that not everybody is hear to have other people spend their money for them. Hopefully you at least have today off. 😬
Oh it's hard. Yeah my area is so expensive. Thus needing roommate. Also yes today off.

So I have been DE shaving for 6 months, and I am trying to find if I am saving money actually.

I havent bought a 20 pack of mach 3 in that time and I was going through a box every month and a half. Depending if I felt rich and tossed after the first use. Which I did if I didn't want a breakout.

To get the results I get now yes I would have to. Also now I shave more.

So 45 × 6= 270

Feather ASD2 170 +35 100 blades + 25 PAA + 7 for Arko plus 15 for 100 GSB plus 10 for 100 voskhod + 3.5 Vander hagen. Plus 16 for brush Equals $266

So I have saved $4 in six months. Considering I felt like a spend thrift I think it worked out great.
Personally for me I have saved a small fortune on switching to DE shaving.

When I started 8 years ago, I bought an Edwin Jagger brush and safety razor, entry level stuff, maybe total cost for both of those was about $100 give or take a little on either end there. Blades added a few extra dollars but not much at all and soap maybe another $15ish. So I was prob in at about $120/130 on the high side, anyway, I have been using the same brush and razor all these years and really have only spent money on new blades from time to time and soap when I run out.

I’m a lazy shaver. I shave once a week, that’s kind of always been my thing. I have shaved more throughout the week, just depending but over-all I shave once a week and I don’t buy a ton of product just because. I would wait until I was out of a soap or aftershave before I purchased more.

So yes, for me, I have saved a bunch of money.

It’s only been here in the past month when I decided, “hey, I haven’t purchased any new shaving equipment, or really tried new products, 8 years, I think it’s time to jump in shake some hands, get to know some gents, try new products, have some more fun”. So here I am lol.

So I guess in the long run people can definitely save money, just gotta be frugal and not go down the rabbit hole 😆 but I think that’s with any “hobby” but people get into hobbies bc they like it and want to experience and try new things. Nothing wrong with it. If you like it you like it. If you’re in it to save money, then just gotta watch your spending ☺️

Have I saved money? Nope, not at all. But I've enjoyed shaving more than I ever thought I could. I gave up my other less-than-healthy activities so I figure I've managed to at least break even.

I had originally set a personal limit of $50 for a razor and $20 for a brush. I stuck with that for a while, but I've since exceeded both of those limits by a lot and more than once.

I'm finally at a point where I could settle on a few razors and brushes, sell everything else, and spend the rest of my days working through my blades and soaps. I could accept the loss on the sales and still be totally content with what I've learned and the B&B friends I've made. Life is good.

I didn't know we were supposed to save money -- no one told me. So no, I have not saved any money...but on the other hand, most of my money was spent on quality products which I really enjoy using. I went from hating shaving to looking forward my next shave. If I only had one razor, one soap and one aftershave then things would become monotonous again very soon. At least I have not gone crazy with soap and brush purchases (yet).

For 2 years I spent:

6C (40.00) + Semogue brush (20.00) + Yaqi brush (10.00) + Captain’s Choice bowl (30.00) + 100 DE pack (7.50) + Cremo Tube (10.00) + 3 Proraso red (30.00).

Until a month ago I saved a lot of money. However, I started visit B&B … I’m put my name in a waiting … So, I’ll probably going to be broke soon ;)

P.S. But it’s a lot of fun.

Fun fact: first time I signed up Badger and Blade I can’t do nothing, post, reply, change my avatar, etc.

I did a quick research, buy a 6C, a brush and styptic pencil (never opened) and never go back until this year.

I predict a deep hole in my pocket in a near future :)

Save money?! Haha, no way!! 🤣
But, I now enjoy something that was previously only a chore. On top of that I no longer have to include any plastic in my shaving routine. These 2 things alone make spending a bit more totally worth it to me. And, saving money wet shaving is totally an option if one chooses to make that a priority. Now that I have experimented a bit and know what I like and what works for me, I’m headed in a more economical direction with shaving. It’s been fun figuring it all out though, and it also introduced me to this awesome community.
Happy Thanksgiving Y’all! 🍁
Shave Long and Prosper 🖖🏼

I've spent pretty close to $200 since February when I started. That's more than I would spend in 2 years with the cheap cartridge deals I'd get from Dorco USA, but they don't sell to the public like they used to. That's why I looked for "cheap" alternatives.

B&B really helps me to ignore why I went to DE shaving...

I shave 2-4x as often as I used to, so perhaps I've saved money per shave! I think im the long run, it'll save me money per shave. I've definitely spent more money per year.

I enjoy shaving now, and look forward to it! The fact that it's not a chore anymore is a pretty big deal, and I think it's worth it!

At least until acquisition disorders kick in again ;)

Reading the replies I am so glad I bought the expensive razor first. However I do want to try another. Above the tie Windsor pro. That looks fun. Also has a great stand! Yes I am basing purchases on matching stands. Feather and above the tie are the best matching sets I have seen so far. So in six months I will buy it, and set it to most aggressive to test blades.

you mean I was supposed to keep track ... dang another fail in my life
I live in Brazil. First, 1 U$ dollar is about 5.9 reais (my currency). Second, Brazilian customs are nasty. Third, here is the country of soccer and high taxes :). This way, every dollar I spend is a like a punch in the stomach :).

It’s a 6.45% tax to pay in a international credit card + 60% federal import tax + 40% state tax + 15.00 fee to post office. That’s why I remember every US dollar I’d spend lol.

But is a lovely hobbie. Shaving is now like a Zen moment in my day. And the people here is also nice.

Last edited:
Yes!

On DE razors, blades, and shaving supplies? Absolutely not.

Shaving has supplanted cars as a hobby. I’ve blown more money blowing up a newly built transmission in a weekend, than all of shaving over the last decade.

Reading the replies I am so glad I bought the expensive razor first. However I do want to try another. Above the tie Windsor pro. That looks fun. Also has a great stand! Yes I am basing purchases on matching stands. Feather and above the tie are the best matching sets I have seen so far. So in six months I will buy it, and set it to most aggressive to test blades.
Please stop and think before buying another DE razor. ATT is great, but you should really consider single edge. If you want some experiences with the one from ATT, look at posts from @Old Hippie who I believe shaves his head with one. Or was testing it. Regardless, if somebody can shave their dome blind, you can shave for legs. The Artist Club blades are next level.

Please stop and think before buying another DE razor. ATT is great, but you should really consider single edge. If you want some experiences with the one from ATT, look at posts from @Old Hippie who I believe shaves his head with one. Or was testing it. Regardless, if somebody can shave their dome blind, you can shave for legs. The Artist Club blades are next level.
I haven't seen that section. In fact I haven't even checked that section here. Off to above the tie website.

Top Bottom