What's new

Have you saved money by switching to wet shaving?

Have you saved money by switching to wet shaving

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

• No noticable difference in my spending

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've spent more, much more. But the pleasure is worth the pain. If I had the chance to do it all again, I'd do it! Only thing, I'd do it much sooner in life.

I'm spending a lot more than I did before but I am also enjoying myself more. Its a very good trade off in my eyes.

The short term answer is NO! but, then I never took care of my face till now so it does not compare. Long run I will because I have settled down to about 3 soaps, and not very many after shave products.

R

When I did not know any better and used can o' goo it was cheaper, but I hated to shave and only did it twice a week max. Now I shave once or twice a day, it makes me feel good.. Anything to help me get up in the morning is a + to me.

Like a lot of you guys have answered: No, but I am having a lot more fun.

That makes the additional cost a mere trifle and justifies the whole thing, except when my wife says, "you spent how much on that?"

Yes, now and over about the last 4 months. I have made no new "wetshaving" purchases in those last 4 months. Slowly, I am using up my less desirable creams one at a time.

Just like enron and bear-sterns, it depends on how you do the accounting...

initial set of brush + letterk sample pack + TOBS Sandalwood = $65

Didn't buy anything else that I would not have otherwise bought until about a year later, which amortizes to be DEFINITELY cheaper.

About a month ago, though... bought 140 feathers, a used HD and fed my SSAD with taylors rose and sandalwood. $100.

Since 140 fusion blades cost about $2.50 x 140 = $350, I think i've saved some cash in the long run even if you take into consideration that a fusion blade probably lasts about 6/5 as long as a DE for me.

Trouble is, I was just given a couple straights by some clients of mine. I get the feeling the calculations will quickly go to the red side of the spectrum...

I haven't reached the ROI (return on investment) for my original purchase, but I expect to soon (within a couple of months). After that I'll start saving big.

Although that was the main reason why I switched to a DE, I suddenly found myself coming down with all sorts of Aquisition Disorders. First it was ASAD, the RAD, now it is SCAD. I've never felt better!

Have I saved money? ...It depends on how liberal you want to be in amortizing your asset acquisitions.

You must be an accountant too :biggrin: The indefinate life brushes, razors, strops, and hones should be capitalized and amortized over a period of 20 years or more (gain or loss can be recognized if sold), and only the creams and soaps should be expensed so, yes I have definately saved money in this accounting period :biggrin: Just give me a ballance sheet and I will show you a profit. From a cashflow perspective then definately not lol:

I've had to stop flying in my favorite barber from Rome each morning but I figure I'm ahead $4 - $5 easy.
:smile:

I initially switched to wet shaving to save money, but that went out the window in a hurry once I discovered all the amazing different razors/creams/soaps/etc out there. Before I didn't want to spend any money on lame razor cartridges and canned goo. Now that I'm enjoying shaving so much, spending the extra money isn't a big deal.

I spend less on blades, definitely! Total, at least in the short term, is more, but not all of the extra goes to whoever owns Gillette this week.

Saying that you are going to save money by switching to a DE is like telling your wife there is only 2 minutes left in the football game.

I don't buy many different products at once, rather I try different things as I run out of whatever it might be. That means that, compared to all the cans of goop and 75-blade cartridges for my Mach-whatever I have indeed saved money. A month's expenses now are the cost of 4 DE blades and 1/12th of a puck of soap, rather than one pack of cartridges and a can of mystery foam.

- R

Top Bottom