What's new

Have you saved money by switching to wet shaving?

Have you saved money by switching to wet shaving

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

• No noticable difference in my spending

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most proponents of wet shaving usually say that you save money by switching from the horrible canned goo and cartridge razors. However, since I started wet shaving, I have easily spent over 600 dollars on creams, aftershaves, pre shaves and razors. When I used a Mach 3 all I spent was 2.99 for cream and 15 dollars for 4 cartridges which would last me 3 months. So my question is how many of you have actually saved money from switching to wet shaving? If your too lazy to post a comment use the poll above.:smile:

Brushes, creams, soaps, blades (nine year supply), razors (only 11 so far, so by B&B measurement, I haven't left the starting blocks), aftershave splashes, aftershave balms, colognes, limited edition straight on the way plus strops and pastes, face towels, storage boxes, productivity down the toilet... yeah, saved heaps. Thanks.

BTW. What's with the ישראל thing? Canada annexing the place?

Cheers

Jeremy

Oh,yes-very definitely!

No more cartridges,goo in a can,replacement heads, lubricating oil,or goo for the razor(nivea).

considering what the prices for all of that ran me every 3 months and now I rarely have to buy anything(resistance is futile!) but can choose to buy something, I have found that this is one area that has not been affected by the economy or rising prices.

Plus, when the urge is to strong to overcome, soaps and blades are the cheapest way to satisfy it.

Marty

Hmmm...if I consider only what I actually use for my morning shaves, I'm saving money. The only consumables are the blades and soap. On the other hand, I do have more razors than I can shave with at one time. How else can I know what works best for me? (At least that's what I've told SWMBO.)

I read a post here at B&B a while back where someone was seriously promoting cartridge shaving because it was his opinion that that to get a good shave with a DE or straight, you had to use all kinds of lotions, potions, pre-shaves, and after-shaves. Guess he never figured out that there's a difference between necessity and preference.

-Clarke

"Cartridge shaving...so easy, a caveman can do it."
"Shaving with a real blade...an aquired skill."

I voted no for the short term. With a few more razor blades, I could be set for about 5 years if I didn't buy anything else (like that's going to happen:blush:).

However, the pleasure I now take from shaving (where I despised it before), you can't place a price on that.

So, if I had to do it over, I would, without a couple of purchases and trades that tought me a lot. But the vast majority of what I own today, I would buy again.

sorry i just had to laugh,:em2100::em2100:this has cost a small fortune.but worth every penny.just for the enjoyment level

I figured it out that it would take me 27 years in comparison to what I would have spent with an average years supply of cartridge razors with all the AD stuff I acquired. I should live so long. Don't even want to think about a comparison to electric razors.

I wouldn't say i'm saving money. I used to shave with the same cartridge for weeks sometimes a month, or whip out the electric (which did require a cleaning liquid which i rarely bought). So now i'm spending money on something that I didn't spend enough on. I would say im saving my face. Yep more money now

What about other important factors?

Since moving to DE i have choice. From my fusion powered and all sorts of canned goo even expensive types... to...

Multiple razors
Multiple blades
Multiple soaps
Multiple brushes

Theres also another thing, I change my blade every 3 goes, because I simply cannot get any more out of them (4 passes per shave, 3 shaves, 12 shaves?),and for the cost of 50c I couldn't be bothered trying to get more out of it.

This leads to another important factor, hygiene. The more you change your blade the better I would think?

I have spent maybe 400euro on everything so far. I don't begrudge it, because every time i go into the shop to get blades its 20euro a pop.

Removing the inital cost.. 20euro gets me 1 tub of cream from one of the 3 t's, a pack of blades. 20euro gets me a lot of blades too, infact i have 95 blades at home, which is a years supply (one every 3 shaves) or 3 months if you change it everyday...

So yes i spend more on DE than I do on cartage shaving, but I really dont care!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Pierce

Haven't saved a DIME after starting using DE and straights....If today I stopped purchasing anything shaving related, it would probably take me 10 years of ZERO spending on shaving to get back the money. Unless you use the most basic, no frills shaving kit, you will not save money, especially spending time on forums like this one.

Well, the point is you could save money, not that you do. One super speed, a boar brush, Williams or Old Spice soap, blades and aftershave from the drug store. Sure, you would save money.
Have I saved money? Hell no.

Saved money? Not yet, but will in time (at least that is what I keep telling myself). Thus far, I have spent around $155 dollars on stuff since I started 3 months ago. That small expenditure has yielded three razors (slim adjustable, Merkur HD, and a Lady Gillette for my wife), a handful of HBS soaps, cheap brush kit from Wal-mart (I know, I know - I just haven't got around to upgrading), and a 2.5 year supply of blades for my wife and I. We previously spent around around $150 a year on cartidges, so if I refrain from getting more razors and keep to just replenishing the soaps I have, I should see a profit after December of this year.

BJC

P.S. As others have mentioned above, you can't put a value on the enjoyment of a good shave.

Not until I switched to Method Shaving. The shaving rounds, paste, finishing balm, and conditioner (all of which last a looooong time), plus Derby's (new blade every shave) are costing me less than Fusion cartridges and goo.

No. I find that I have to stop myself from over-accumulating. I really like everything I have and so it is hard to stop.

I am spending more now, but in reality when I die my kids can probably get most of the money back out of it. Can't say that about my old Fusion.

Top Bottom