What's new

Have you ever not been able to finish a shave with a new blade?

Gillette Super thin (Thai?)- couldn't complete one stroke, tried 2 blades, absolute crap. Not sure if I got a defective pack or if they're always like that. At least they were cheap.
Those were definitely the fake Super Thins. In the last years there are a lot of them.

And to answer the original poster's question: Yes, I had blades that I couldn't finish a shave with. Those were mainly different fake Chinese Gillette blades. One or two strokes and you have to stop.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yup. The Derby Extra that came packed with a new R41. That blade hit the bin real fast. Fortunately, I had a sampler pack, which began a long-term relationship with Astra greens.

Interestingly, I now also shave with Derby Premiums and Derby USTAs; while both are excellent performers, I'm not inclined to give Extras another try.

I've suffered through painful shaves with Dorcos and Merkurs, but Derbys I've actually chunked in mid-shave. Reviewers say Derbys have improved recently, and I hope they have, but I'm not ready to put in a rush order yet.

UPDATE: so this morning, I got out the Noble Otter BarrBarr soap and made what I would consider my best lather to date. I really worked with it and got it oh so nice. I wanted to make sure I was giving the blade a good chance. Took 3 swipes on the left cheek and it was awful. I removed the blade and put in a new Astra and man - what I difference. It was night and day. No tugging, no pulling, no scraping (felt like scraping to me). Finished up the shave with the Astra and dispose of the other blade.

I still have a new Rapira that I will keep for a rainy day to try again, but I do not believe I will use this again in my Fatboy.

Thanks to everyone who took a moment to reply with their experiences. MUCH appreciated.

-Erik

UPDATE: so this morning, I got out the Noble Otter BarrBarr soap and made what I would consider my best lather to date. I really worked with it and got it oh so nice. I wanted to make sure I was giving the blade a good chance. Took 3 swipes on the left cheek and it was awful. I removed the blade and put in a new Astra and man - what I difference. It was night and day. No tugging, no pulling, no scraping (felt like scraping to me). Finished up the shave with the Astra and dispose of the other blade.

I still have a new Rapira that I will keep for a rainy day to try again, but I do not believe I will use this again in my Fatboy.

Thanks to everyone who took a moment to reply with their experiences. MUCH appreciated.

-Erik

Just a word on Rapiras. Back when I used modern blades, I tried several Rapiras and was unimpressed at best until it was the Swedish Super Steels turn. I found it to be so good I put in my inventory. Inexpensive but not just good for the price but good period. Very good.

I quit mid-shave a couple of times with the same blade. It was a Sharp Durablade. It was so terrible I thought I got a dud. I tried a second one and it was just as bad. I tried a third one in a different razor and it was still terrible.

Blades are a funny thing. I have a couple packs of Rockwell blades which were terrible in my Slim but they worked just fine in my other razors.

Every single time I have tried shaving with a Derby Extra I have at least considered aborting the shave, sometimes I have switched to a different blade, sometimes I have stuck it out, never have I felt that I got a good shave from a Derby though. Similar experiences with the Merkur's I've tried, though they have at least felt sharp unlike the Derby's, just excessively rough.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have had blades with bad edges. I try to stop mid-stroke. My practice is to use the other edge for the remainder of that shave and then throw the blade away.

I don't remember trying a blade that was enough of a blade/face mismatch that I stopped mid-shave, but it's certainly possible. So much better to stop and switch to something more comfortable than completing a horrible shave.

Yeah. I did that with a Merkur blade that came with the 23c razor I ordered. Definitely secures last place in my bottom 3 blades behind Dorco and Van der Hagen
Same here. The blade that came with my Merkur was the worst blade I’ve ever used. Shame really. I could imagine the reaction of all the first timers and what a horrible way to be introduced into DE shaving if it was your first razor.

Once. I had bought 100 Rockwell blades because I liked their razor so much and the price was right. The blades are awful. Just not sharp. I just couldn't believe it was the blade. I tried over and over again. One day, I was halfway through one side with a fresh Rockwell (I would keep going back after using other blades) and something in me snapped. I took the Rockwell out, threw in a pedestrian Astra SP, and finished the shave. It removed all doubt as to how bad those blades are (for me). I gave the box to my 18 year old who had the whiskers of, well, an 18 year old. They worked fine for him.

For me, Derby Extra, VDH and Merkur blades are not sharp enough to cut for even one pass. I don't like Shark Super Chrome blades, but at least I can get through one shave with them before binning.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes. Bic Platinum. Others love them, but for me the worst blade I've ever used by a good distance.

Just one time for me but it was a defective blade.

i was using one of my favorite blades, a Persona Red, and when I got to my neck, during the first pass, I felt scraping and saw a good amount of blood. That never happened before. Thankfully I stopped and switched blades. I guess it’s true that it’s possible to have a defect blade.

Top Bottom