What's new

Have you ever not been able to finish a shave with a new blade?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Tryablade.com for me, too, so that may be part of the problem. I thought about buying some from Amazon after, but there are well more than a few comments with the same complaint. Figured if enough other people had the same problem then there must be at least some truth to it.

I saw those as well. I can only speculate that perhaps there's some kind of quality control issue. But...I'm speculating. I'm sure if you get a good batch, they're sharp and smooth.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Have you ever not been able to finish a shave with a new blade?

Kinda begs the question of whether the G-F is a blade, but, if it is, the answer is yes and not for lack of trying. The thing just wasn't doing what a new blade is supposed to do.

At least I survived.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I appreciate everyone's experiences. I will try to shave tomorrow with the blade again and if after a couple of strokes it feels bad, I will discard and get something else to use.
Sometimes it can also be a bad manufactured Blade, happened to me with Astra sp in a new razor, at first told myself this razor sucks, its too mild. Than tried a new blade just in case at 2nd pass and it was totally different. So it was a bad blade.

Tryablade.com for me, too, so that may be part of the problem. I thought about buying some from Amazon after, but there are well more than a few comments with the same complaint. Figured if enough other people had the same problem then there must be at least some truth to it.

I purchased a 100 pack of BIC Chrome Platinum from Amazon back in January of this year. They are superb blades for me. I love them in a milder razor like a SuperSpeed clone.

Yes. The hideous Ted Pella injector blades. Start the shave, suffer through a pulling and tugging first pass. Hmmm, must be a dud. New Pella. Same thing. Ouch. Punt Pella number 2, slide in a Chick. Aaaahhhh.... Smooth, efficient BBS.

Of course I did. I have some Gilette Extra Bleue left. My experience is on average 1 dud per tuck (10 bades/tuck). You can tell after 1st stroke the blade is off

Happened to me with the Treet Black Beauty blades-entire pack. Thought it would be nice to try a carbon blade. However, I could have a better shave with a broken beer bottle sharpened on concrete.

marty

HEY! Don't diss the beer bottle!
'Course it depends on how fine the concrete is....

Oh yeah. Blades are a very personal thing. Few people seem to completely agree on what makes an ideal blade. The razor/blade combination affects things too. I've never found a blade that I hated in one razor to be wonderful in another razor, but I've definitely found that the right combination of blade and razor will change the performance of the blade enough to be noticeable.

Sounds like you found a combination that doesn't work for you. All data is good data. Don't look at it as a failure, but rather as disproving your null hypothesis ;-)

Yes, with a Crystal blade. My tech is better so maybe I will give it another chance. I kept them for years, for some reason.

Feathers. My skin is far sensitive, I can count the skin issues from shaving in my life on two or three fingers. Feathers is one.

Yes, with a Crystal blade. My tech is better so maybe I will give it another chance. I kept them for years, for some reason.

The Crystal blades reference a patent number that goes back to the earliest stainless coated blades ever produced by Personna. It was a game-changer in its time, nut advances have been made since the 1960s.

Dorco with orange print on the wrapper. Came in a blade sampler pack, so bad I had to take it out of my razor. Never tried Dorco again.

Can't for the life of me recall my Dad ever shaving with a DE razor. It was either electric or, when out camping or fishing a straight.
He did have a Schick Injector that his older bro carried as a WWII medic from Normandy to Berlin. He could sometimes get thru a shave with it, but often swapped out blades a time or 2 during a shave. The Schick spent decades in a drawer & I have it now - never needed to abandon a blade mid-shave with it.

I've binned a few blades mid-shave from various brands, but I don't recall which ones off the top of my head. I'm fairly sure one was a Merkur and another was a Shark.

Every manufacturer can have a dud slip in now and again, so I try not to judge a brand based on a single bad blade; I've even gotten a dud Feather, and I've shaved successfully with hundreds of those. If a brand consistently disagrees with my face, though, I avoid it. Plenty of other blades out there that work well for me.

Top Bottom