What's new

Have Synthetic over taken Badgers?

I discovered that when I used natural bristle brushes my neck would itch after the shave for some length of time. Switching to synthetic eliminated that. My Razorock Plissoft knocks it out of the park for face lathering, building up a really good lather fast.

I have badgers, boars, horse and synths.

Right now I prefer my B&B essentials boar over all else.
Ask me again in a month I might give each a different answer.

Although I’m a badger guy, I do understand why people perfer synthetics... it whips up lather with ease, releases lather like a champ and they don’t lather hog like badgers. Personally, I think for lather building and applying their better than badgers at this point but they lack a luxurious feel and look that the badger brings.

Fair enough, but, we disagree on all points you bring up. For me personally everything you're stating badger does significantly better, therefore me "not getting" the love for synthetics. Face feel which cannot be compared (again just my personal opinion/experience) is just an icing on the cake. Regarding "lather hogging", I'm not sure to be honest, never really went through any soaps or creams super fast, so it's hard to say without being very detailed in measuring number of shaves with each, and even then it'd be had to be very precise.

I've been dualing out my Paladin Badger to my Wolf Whiskers ubersoft ll and I honestly think I prefer the Ubersoft ll. the biggest diffence I'm finding is the badger hogs the lather, making it harder to build the lather on the 2nd pass, where the ubersoft ll releases it and builds lather fast, beautifully and after 3 passes there's enough lather for a few more. Are you guys finding Synthetics are better than Badgers?

That's also my experience and if you use a brush scuttle then I simply don't look at anything but synthetics

I own some Shavemac brushes so not exactly cheap poor quality brushes.

Boar brushes and brush scuttles just don't work for me at all.

If you want a great face feel lathering you must use a badger. If you want huge amounts of creamy dense lather when bowl lathering you must use a synthetic. A dense one.

But it is true that on the face the 2band badger especially feels very classy and luxurious.

I have had synthetic, horse hair, and boar. Horse Hair was by far the worse. My Stirling Soap Kong 26mm is by far my favorite. Never have tried badger yet, too busy buying razors. I have never heard any negatives on a badger brush.

I used a boar brush for shaving for close to 40+ years, then after joining the forums I tried badgers and horse, and only recently (in the last week) I picked up a synthetic brush. So, I am a recent convert to synths, but I can clearly see the reason why they are so popular. As for which one is best I am unable to choose -- they are all different and I enjoy them all for different reasons. And I can get an awesome lather from each one of my many brushes. This is just one of those YMMV things.

The thing is that I cannot create the same amount of lather with a boar brush than with a synthetic. But the scrubby feeling of the boar is excellent.

This has been a great thread and very informative. I personally use a boar brush, primarily due to the cost of a quality badger. I tried a cheap badger brush and tossed it after once I had a good boar. My wife uses a Razorock Plissaoft and it's a good brush. She shaves her legs in the shower, so the synthetic is more practical. I have tried it but greatly prefer a natural bristle brush. One day I hope to find a quality badger at a reasonable price.

Sent via Tapatalk

Personally this issue boils down to preference. I own some really good badgers and some equally impressive synthetics. Got on a big synthetic kick a couple years ago do to three facts. Cheapness, softness and durability. Also liked the fact that you didn't have to worry about issue with how they are dried. Tried a lot of synthetic brushes and the more I tried the more I found that like anything it is a matter of preference. Some like dense with backbone, some like super soft with flow through or the ability to release the lather instead of hog it and some still like scrubiness. So the only real advantage I found in a synthetic is cheapness, lack of drying worries and possibly durability. That being said all other characteristics can be found in badger, boar or synthetic.

My synths are my favorites over my Thater, Simpsons, Semogue, omega etc. I still use badger, boar and even my horse on occasion (definitely my least favorite) but if I could only have 1 I'd take the my Stirling kong. It's all just personal preference, though. They all work.

Hi,

I think synthetics are getting better for sure. My RR Plissoft and Yaqui Tuxedo are a lot better than the cheap badger I had for my first try at badger.

I think you need to spend a LOT more money on a badger to get something noticeably better than a synthetic today. But bang for buck? Synthetics rule.

This is a great thread and some interesting posts and opinions. It is really down to personal preference.

Since trying out a tuxedo brush 9 months ago, I've been converted to synths, and my badgers have all been shelved- Plisson HMW, M&F Chief, Kents, Whipped Dog. I've probably used them about 2 weeks in total since then.

I've since purchased, 2 razorocks Plissofts, a couple more tuxedos and cashmeres knots and fitted them into some custom handles. My main brush used to be the Plisson HMW but now usurped by a 30mm cashmere. My boar brushes (a couple of Omega's and Semogues) don't even come close - I've less preference for boars.

My synths have saved time in my daily shaves - they build up quality lather in half the time, releases the lather so easily and enough lather for more than three passes (using my cashmere knot brush). They dry quickly and need less maintenance and have proven robust no matter how you treat them. But this is my findings from using synths.

I actually cannot see me going back to badgers, but purely for a nostalgic shave or two. Regrettably, all that money spent on badgers ...and synths being so cheap. It's synths all the way for me.

I started my DE adventure with a Boar, then graduated to Badger and then realized that the boar and badger irritated my face (I face lather) and didn't smell great. That's when I tried a synthetic. My world changed on that day. With my trusty Muehle Cosmo (Bog Oak Handle) 21mm V2 Silvertip Synthetic, I can face lather no problem and have zero irritation because it feels so soft.

Along the way, I also started to appreciate how easy the synthetic was to dry and keep well maintained given that I use pre-shave oil. I wouldn't dream of switching back to badger or boar.

Although I’m a badger guy, I do understand why people perfer synthetics... it whips up lather with ease, releases lather like a champ and they don’t lather hog like badgers. Personally, I think for lather building and applying their better than badgers at this point but they lack a luxurious feel and look that the badger brings.

I have a great collection of badgers that I really love. But I am in full agreement with you. Performance wise there is nothing my most expensive badger can do that a nice synthetic can't do as well or better. That said, nothing matches the beauty of a nice badger and the feel is very natural and pleasing. From time to time, I still break out the Silvertips or Manchurians when I'm feeling nostalgic or just want a slow decadent experience, but 95% of the time, its synthetics these days.

Synthetics are basically a Home depot paint brush

proxy.php

And for Latex only China Bristle for Oil based paint.

As for Shaving I been happy with all my Badgers Boars and Horse Hair Brushes.

I am converted 100% to synthetics. I used badger for 3 years but after getting a synthetic I wont be buying anymore badger. The synthetics are cheaper, lather faster, use less soap, dry faster.

Its a shutout. I still will shave the badger now and again just for nostalgia, but I am not going to purchase any new badgers. Ive never tried boar or horse

Top Bottom