What's new

Have Synthetic over taken Badgers?

I've been dualing out my Paladin Badger to my Wolf Whiskers ubersoft ll and I honestly think I prefer the Ubersoft ll. the biggest diffence I'm finding is the badger hogs the lather, making it harder to build the lather on the 2nd pass, where the ubersoft ll releases it and builds lather fast, beautifully and after 3 passes there's enough lather for a few more. Are you guys finding Synthetics are better than Badgers?

I've used badger, boar and synthetic brushes and the synthetic is my favorite. Like you said, the badger was a selfish lather hog and didn't want to release the lather. I didn't like it. The boar was much better and I would probably still be using it if I weren't gifted with a synthetic which I liked even more than the boar. It's soft, it gives up the lather, it's easiest to clean and it dries faster.

Not for me. My badgers do just fine. I don't like the inconsistent water retention in my synths.
They are soft, and make a great travel brush as they dry quickly, but for my every day drivers, I prefer my badgers.

I prefer a quality boar to a cheap badger or a quality synthetic. I have never tried a quality badger, but most likely would prefer a quality badger over a quality synthetic as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I enjoy them all. I really like big boars, and they haven't designed a synth with those characteristics. I like the Omega S brush, but its not as close to boar as the plissoft styles are close to badger.

Man that Paladin sounds really terrible...maybe I could just take it off your hands and let you get back to the synth? ^_^

1. Badger
2. Synthetic
3. Boar

I've only one decent Badger, a 21mm Shavemac in finest. but I like it better than my plastic fantastic. I like the idea of the craftsmanship, tradition, and human element. The synthetic is a close second, but it doesn't inspire any connection.

Not even close for me. I'll take a decent badger knot any day, two band or silvertip. I don't like the utter lack of backbone I've experienced with a few synths, and even the black Gamechanger has it's downside. While strong on backbone (maybe too much) with very soft tips, it just doesn't hold much lather compared to my favorite badgers, and the release is no better or worse. I gave all my synths away except for the Gamechanger. It's my sacrificial brush for travelling/camping. If I lose it I'm not going to care at all.

Another badger lover. I have three Paladin brushes with one more on the way. Each one does a superb job with lather.

For me; good synthetics produce a perfectly acceptable lather and can even be better than run-of-the-mill badger brushes, but their feel does not quite equal the sensation I get from a premium badger brush like a Thäter.

B.

I'm where @BSAGuy is. I have a big fat Edwin Jagger Synthetic Silvertip that's really good -- not too far from the real deal, and at a fraction of the price. I also prefer to take a synthetic when I travel because of the drying time and reduced risk of an expensive loss.

But for everyday use at home, there's just nothing quite like a high-quality badger brush. A well-broken in boar brush is good too, and I like my horsey. But badger... yeah.

But I hope the OP won't beat himself up if he prefers synthetics... These are very personal preferences with no right or wrong answers.

Personally I don't like synthetics at all, not even a little bit. Soft, yes. Backbone, zero. My experience they hold virtually no water and I struggle to get a consistent lather from soaps I'm most familiar with. I'll take a badger in Best or Finest any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Boar's are ok, I own some, but I will always reach for my badger.

Personally I don't like synthetics at all, not even a little bit. Soft, yes. Backbone, zero. My experience they hold virtually no water and I struggle to get a consistent lather from soaps I'm most familiar with. I'll take a badger in Best or Finest any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Boar's are ok, I own some, but I will always reach for my badger.

+1 I'm the same as I love boar and badger.

Synthetics are basically a Home depot paint brush

proxy.php

Top Bottom