What's new

Have modern DE razors become more popular than vintage?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I've said that for like ever. Doesn't diminish my curiosity.
1665265007974.gif

I’ve always used gillette Techs and superspeeds with great success and enjoyment. I just tried the highly regarded brass Karve Overlander that just did not work for me… it will probably just go back in the box. I’ll stick with my $15-$20 vintage razors, I think.

Last edited:
I think the issue with the moderbn versus the old is the fact that the shaving blades were a a lot stiffer thicker better quality back then. The modern razors have adapted to the thinner more flimsy blades today. Imo
I don't know about that. I'm able to use a 1920's era Old Type with modern blades about as well as an AS-D2 or my just acquired Masamune. Yes, blades were very different back then compared to today but it's really not hard to adapt. At least for me.

lasta

Blade Biter
I think the issue with the moderbn versus the old is the fact that the shaving blades were a a lot stiffer thicker better quality back then. The modern razors have adapted to the thinner more flimsy blades today. Imo
For stiffer/thicker, you'd really have to look pre 30's. Thereafter, DE blades are more or less standardized. I don't think carbon steel can survive that long and be serviceable.

As for post 60's coated stainless vintages, I've tried about 2 dozen. Some of them are very good, but I wouldn't call any of them superior to modern Gillettes.

Metallurgy and manufacturing has improved by leaps and bounds. A quick look at IP's on blade manufacturing, coatings, and methods of removing coating near blade apex suggest that there are innovations even today. Bevel grind patterns are also far superior to anything made 30+ years ago.

That being said, I enjoy blade holders of both new and vintage. Just happens that older Gillettes catch my eye more often.

I've had my Gillette Slim for over 60 years and have yet to find a modern Zamak plate razor that can surpass it, Even my Dad's Fatboy, in my own opinion has yet to be bested. Possibly my Weber PH is almost an even match but Stainless is another territory IMO.

I've had my Gillette Slim for over 60 years and have yet to find a modern Zamak plate razor that can surpass it, Even my Dad's Fatboy, in my own opinion has yet to be bested. Possibly my Weber PH is almost an even match but Stainless is another territory IMO.
Interesting take on it. Having both a 195 for many years and a recently acquired Slim (1961 and 1963 respectively) as well as two Zamak head, brass handled Edwin Jaggers, I think they're about equal as to shaving quality if the adjustables are set to a similar gap as the fixed EJs. I don't think Zamak has much to do with anything other than we all hate it with our preference for solid stainless steel, brass, titanium, etc. razors. It gnaws at you when you know the head on these $30-70 razors from Muhle, Merkur, Jagger and others are using it for their head material. My oldest Zamak head razor, a DE89, is now 11 years old and in good working order but I asked Jagger to send a new cap as the threads were showing very slight signs of wear. To their credit, they sent one out straight away at no cost. Every single one of my remaining razors are solid brass or stainless steel. Haven't made the titanium jump yet.

But to your point about the awesomeness of the 195 and Slim, you are spot on. I love mine.

I've complained about the DE89 here a couple times. I got it about 10 years ago to have something new but I didn't like it over the vintage stuff I had so it just sat on the shelf. I used it a couple times recently and felt the same as I had way back. Maybe there's something I don't get about using it. It sure is pretty.
I hear what you are saying. Forked out some money a couple years back to get the set. Stand, boar brush and the R89. Haven't had a decent shave with it yet, too mild I guess. Then the R41 came on my path and I have replaced the R89 with it's more efficient brother. Never looked back.
The R89 is in a drawer now. Must dig it out and sell it.

Clicked enter too quickly in my post before this. The R41 was one of my first razors I bought. It threw me down the rabbit hole of vintage razors because soon after bought a single ring and a seven o'clock and some more.
Despite the fact that I just got myself a Rockwell 6S, I am firmly in the vintage camp even though I really like the 6S on plate 5.
Call me weird.

I hear what you are saying. Forked out some money a couple years back to get the set. Stand, boar brush and the R89. Haven't had a decent shave with it yet, too mild I guess. Then the R41 came on my path and I have replaced the R89 with it's more efficient brother. Never looked back.
The R89 is in a drawer now. Must dig it out and sell it.
I actually got a tip on why I might not have liked it much and once I changed my angle, it started working well for me. I have the old DE89 and an R89 now, both of which are in regular rotation.

I actually got a tip on why I might not have liked it much and once I changed my angle, it started working well for me. I have the old DE89 and an R89 now, both of which are in regular rotation.
Ill best dig it up and give it another go then.
Allways did like the look of it but get way better shaves with my SS HD.

True. I use feather blades or Astra SP in mine and apart from the first shave with the feather always gives me amazing shaves. Never bit me, always smooth like glass. Don,t get a five o'clock shadow but my whiskers are like copper wire. And I have somewhat sensitive skin. Go figure.
I like this thread, makes me think what I like more. Love my vintage razors but occasionally also like to buy a new one. Feather AS-D2 is out of my league though. Way too expensive here in Holland. It is very pretty I think.

Interesting comments all. For someone like me who was no skills past a nylon scrub brush and dish soap, I've only bought clean (not mint) vintage razors that do not need further attention. But as to Mr. Shavington's comment about nostalgia, absolutely. I can say without a doubt that my AS-D2 razor is the best quality I own and gives me the best shaves too. But only by a hair compared to my two ball end Techs which were $20-25 when I bought them.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in this hunt, am just curious if more new shavers have gone the way of new and more money = better?
i have mostly british gillettes from the 1930's -1960's and have noticed plating quality diminish the newer they got.thankfully i was fortunate to acquire clean near new condition examples,though some cost a pretty penny.coupled with today's blades they shave as good as they look.nostalgia plays a big part for me also but they do the job i expect of them.some mordern stainless razors have caught my eye,brass also but they are pricy due to their fine craftmanship and materials used.i always wonder if mass production would change that..when i see a freshly shaved colleague at work in the morning one couldn't tell what razor he used,modern or vintage.:c1:.i made my bed,so i'll lie in it for now..:c2:

I use both vintage and modern and I also enjoy both. I do agree that well made modern razors are slightly better than most vintage, but it also depends on which models we're talking about. When I buy a vintage razor and I find that the shave is ok or meh, I'm not really disappointed, since I have a thing for collecting vintage razors, but if a modern razor (especially if it's pricey) isn't performing the way I want to, then I'm getting rid of that razor right on the spot. Besides, vintage razors when bought for what they are worth or slightly less can always be sold for the same price and I basically have my money, while with most modern razors that's just not possible, unless of course a razor gets discontinued and people go nuts.

The other thing is that most of the modern razor manufacturers are well aware that mostly razor addicts spend more than $100 on a razor and that they own or used to own countless other razors and that they would buy anything no matter how expensive it is and those manufacturers will milk the whales and the cash cows for as long as they can.

I'm really enjoying my Blackbird and I find it to be amongst the best modern razors that I've ever used, but I've got mine for a lot less than it's original price and I would never buy the titanium version no matter how much others are praising it, since I refuse to believe that using the same razor, but in another type of metal is going to make it shave even better.

No matter how popular the modern razors become, you won't be able to find any ''rare'' or uncommon vintage razor that is highly sought after and in mint, NOS or pristine condition anytime soon, especially on the internet. I wish I can get a Bottom Dial Fatboy or a 40's Techmatic (and countless others) for just a few $, but that's never going to happen.
i agree.i also doubt that the ultra rare gillettes you noted shave any better that their more commonly available mass production versions..:lemo:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't visited my Vintage Gillette razors for a while now, but their turn will come up. When you are new to this whole thing and buy several razors over a short period of time, it takes a while to get comfortable with a few at a time... then rotate in a few others.

I've used and like my British Fat Handle Flat Bottom Techs but I haven't used the #24 NEW Raised Flat Bottom yet.. or the British Rocket HD 500 and Super Speed Y2/1953.

I haven't visited my Vintage Gillette razors for a while now, but their turn will come up. When you are new to this whole thing and buy several razors over a short period of time, it takes a while to get comfortable with a few at a time... then rotate in a few others.

I've used and like my British Fat Handle Flat Bottom Techs but I haven't used the #24 NEW Raised Flat Bottom yet.. or the British Rocket HD 500 and Super Speed Y2/1953.
Well, you went a little nuts buying up everything you could get your hands on. ;) I still prefer using my old Gillettes but also enjoy my few modern razors. Nice to have the choices I do.

I'm kinda with @CCS on this one. I've tried a number of modern DE razors and they, by and large, have not been as good to shave with as my humble Gillette Techs were (I'll call out exceptions for the Feather Popular and the Wilkinson Sword Classic, but even they are long in the tooth compared to the razors being discussed on the forum these days).

Does this mean I think modern DE razors are bad? No, not at all; many are quite excellent. I've gotten excellent shaves from the new King C. Gillette razor, a Parker, and others, including the wonderful plastic-handled Tech still offered in the Asian market. There really is something about shaving with the vintage razors, though, that modern razors don't seem to capture. I'm happy to have a wide number of modern choices, but the vintage razors really are something special in a way that I can't put into words. Enjoy them while you're able to.

Top Bottom