What's new

Hats Off to Maggard Razors.

Hope I'm in the right folder to post this, but here goes.....

A couple of days ago I logged into B & B to read about brushes, as I was in the market for a synthetic brush to take along on our upcoming month in Florida. I found a discussion of synthetics, and someone advised another poster, "Just go to Maggards and buy their $10 synthetic....they're great!" So, I Googled Maggard Razors. I had never heard of the website, but soon discovered that they have a B/M store in Adrian, Michigan, just up the road from me in Toledo, Ohio! So, being retired, my wife and I drove up there today.

The store is located in a quaint old Victorian era building in downtown Adrian ( a college town, btw), and looks like it might have been an old hardware store originally....hardwood floors, big front windows overlooking the street, lots of old gingerbread on the outside of the building, etc. We were helped by a young man named Matthew, who was both friendly and very knowledgeable about several products I asked about. We started out looking at knots, as I brought along an Ever-Ready handle that had belonged to my dad that I wanted to restore. Since none of their knots fit, we quickly shifted to Maggard's house brand of synthetic brushes (a bargain at $11 bucks, I thought). I also bought a stand for the badger brush and Gillette Fat Boy that I already have, then asked to see their many samples of soaps. They had dozens and dozens of them, as well as tons of product on the shelves (you name it: soaps, cremes, after-shaves, both DE and straight razors, blades, accessories....), everything you could ever need for shaving.

I came away quite impressed with the store and its personnel. Their website is also well organized and has a ton of products. It's nice to know that if I don't want to take my chances on Ebay, or want expert advice on a product, or want to actually SEE a product in person, there's a store within reasonable distance who can supply anything I want.

Glad to hear about your terrific experience at Maggard's. I have never been there, but have shopped with them via their website and have spoken to Matt on the phone. I too am a very happy Maggard's customer, and their MR5-v.3 is my favorite razor.

I wish they had a store close to me. Walmart, CVS, Wallgreens, Dollar General and, Family Dollar are about it out here. Luckily, I have a DSL "error'net" connection versus the dial up my Mom had until only recently (one Microsoft Windows update took 3 days to download).

Brick and Mortar stores with knowledgeable staff are becoming a rare thing these days. Enjoy them while you still can.

Great store, I've been there a couple times along with ordering on-line Lots of samples so you can smell soaps and aftershaves before buying. Very friendly helpful staff. Their shipping is always fast.

It is a nice looking old building. I took this picture of there store the first time I stopped in. It was just after they moved into it. Their web site has some interior shots.
$IMG_20150404_113332475.jpg

My go to vendor! Super fast shipping, great selection, fantastic customer service..

You really can't beat their starter kits for new DE users. I use their razor w/v3 head on a regular basis, and I have plenty to choose from.

Maggards deserves the cred. Fantastic customer service, superb selection of imported razor handles, superior razor head and synthetic brush suppliers and everything is priced to move. Even shipping is reasonable. There's little reason to shop elsewhere right now unless you like their competitors' soaps (which I happen to but still order from Maggards a lot more). I have 4 of their heads and 6 of their handles for a total of 24 different Maggard razors :)

I'm glad I don't live near Maggard's - that would totally destroy my economy:tongue_sm

Despite living in Europe, Maggard's is my "go to" web shop.

I wish they were close to me, too. In fact, I wish almost any shaving-related store was close to me.

Haha, right? I'm limited to the cremo and VDH soap I can get from Warl Mart for now...

Well, alright, I do NOT wish there was an Art of Shaving around me just because they're way too expensive for me anyway.

I am also from the Toledo area. The drive to Adrian is only about 45 minutes for me. The best thing is being able to smell all the various soaps and creams and aftershaves. No more buying blind based only on reviews.

Top Bottom