What's new

Hat?

I am looking for my first fedora to wear. I would like something stylish, lightweight to accommodate the humid Texas summers and a hat with a low crown and wide brim. Like the fedora Indiana jones wore something that will go with grey, khaki, and black slacks as well as a navy blazer. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Best,
Jerry

For our summers you neede a Panama hat!!! Felt is just too hot.

There has been mention of the newsboy caps, for those of us in the south and west a hat is much better for blocking sun and cancer prevention on tops of ears and neck.

Hi,

I think one can wear a Fedora style hat with just about anything, really. Especially the thin ribbon ones. Take a look at my avatar. That is a 1950s Stetson Open Road reshaped into a Stratoliner style on my head. I am in jeans and a ratty sweatshirt on a bulldozer heading out to bushhog an overgrown field. Looks like the style fits ok to me! :)

I am always wearing a hat, and usually with jeans, golf shirt and boots. Usually thin ribbon and either a C crown or Diamond crease thin ribbon. About 1/4 of the time I go with an Alpine crease, which is to say the typical Western look.

Stan

My hat preferences run toward this for winter wear.

For summers, this or this.

Because I live in the south, I want a hat with a brim. My wife has vetoed every brimmed hat I have looked at with the exception of this Trilby.

My summer Ivy caps are generally inexpensive because the weather will beat them to death in a few years, if I haven't mislaid them and walked off without them by then. My winter caps are much better quality.

As for the Fedora, it is my first and I didn't want to part with a lot of cash. In a year or two, I'll either be done with it, or ready to replace it with a quality model.

And yes, women in Fedoras can be very attractive. The hat was originally intended as female attire.

Top Bottom