What's new

Hat?

So I am in the market for a new style of hat and don't know where to begin. I have a wide brimmed Stetson Buffolo felt 3X that I wear on occasion but my wife doesn't care for it much and as a casual hat I must admit it to be overkill, however in adverse weather it is nice to have. I have been looking at a few styles in particular one being a fedora or similar to what I have with a lesser brim and even possibly straw and not felt, however the ultra short brimmed turned up back style that you would find a Target is out, I'm thinking more Indiana Jones style. The other style of hat I have seen referred to as a "Ben Hogan" or golfers hat. So my question to you Gents is what brands are good affordable ones worth my money and what are the pros and cons of the two styles as you see it? Personal opinions very welcome here and any other info, or even a style suggestion I haven't mentioned or thought of given the fact that I am looking for a casual everyday hat that is not a cowboy hat or ball cap. Thanks, and to end it a recent pic of the Stetson just for fun.
$DSCF7472.jpg

Although I love a fedora as much as the next guy who grew up with Indiana Jones, if you think the Stetson is overkill with casual wear, I would think the fedora would be more so. If you're going to upgrade your casual wardrobe to include mostly oxford shirts and gabardine slacks (or similar), then it would look great. Now a straw fedora or a straw in a similar shape to your Stetson could look great with jeans or golf attire and be more comfortable in the summer months.

A wool or cotton 'Ben Hogan' / 8-panel / newsboy (not identical styles, but similar), can look really good with everything from khakis to jeans to shorts, and a wool version can even get you through the winter in style. It's not really a look I feel comfortable pulling off, but I admire those who can. Just don't turn it backwards unless you're yelling into a TV camera for some reason (see Jackson, Samuel and Gibson, Mel).

One style I've looked at in the past - I've seen it referred to as a "River Guide" hat. It's similar in size to your Stetson, but with a bit less structure. It would probably stand up to abuse better, and be a bit more casual, but would still provide plenty of protection from the elements.

Good luck with your decision!

For looks

Akubra fedora from hatsdirect.com

Sunbody straw fedora from, yep, sunbody.com

More geared towards function

Tilley LT6

outback shade

I wear my Stetson Stratoliner with almost everything. That hat has become as much a part of me as my glasses and I have only received positive comments about it. My current Strat is Caribou and I am seriously thinking about getting another in brown. Right now my brown fedoras are a Stetson Whippet and a Biltmore President.
Anyway, wear the fedoras. It sets you apart as a man with class and style. Let the children wear their caps, we men will wear proper hats and wear them with a vengeance.

Personally I take the fedora route. I have them in custom models, and stock models which are mostly Akruba's. Some with thin ribbons, basically a hatband only about 3/8" wide in classic fedora bashes( shaping of the felt) and the triple dent style like a Stetson Open Road. The same hat can have a totally different look, in fact I have two of the same model and color treated this way.

For hot weather I prefer a straw, preferably a true Panama fiber vs the more common Shantung which is actually a paper product. They are simply much cooler than any felt in summer heat. Panama Bob is a good on line vendor and has hats in several grades, price range. The price being determined by the fineness of the weave, ie the number of weaves per square inch. Prices run from well under $100 to several thousand for hats of the same fiber, the finer more flexible weaves taking much longer to be woven, and all are hand woven. Some are shaped in Ecuador where they are woven some in the US, which are more expensive.

When getting a felt hat always go for a true fur felt, not a wool felt which will often shrink and does not look and shape as nicely. The Akruba hats from Australia, Hats Direct, are a high quality rabbit or hare fur which are top quality as far as durability and looks, as well as being moderately priced, around $150 for a standard model. You can go custom in a beaver or beaver blend for around $400 and up, the sky's the limit.

+1 on the Fedoras especially compared to caps. Finding the right fedora for you can be a journey. I think some fedoras can be worn with any style clothing, you just have to find the right one. Between the styles and colors, the possibilities are endless. Many ways to get started. Panamas from Bob in the summer are a perfect way to begin the journey. They can be inexpensive, they look good, are functional and are a great introduction to fedoras. On line vendors are a good source. I think the best way is to find a brick and mortar fedora/hat store that can fit you with different styles and colors. These are hard to find and usually you have to get to a large city.

Once you find your style, you can make informed purchases on line. I look at the quality fedoras as investments that will last many many years. The higher quality the felt, the longer the hat should last. Quality hats can be a bit pricey but are worth it. Consequently, I like to make sure I will continue to like and wear a hat before I purchase.

I do have a couple Tilleys for fishing, a panama for summer and a couple custom beaver felt fedoras. I look better in a brim that is around 2". The stingy brim, long floppy brims and cowboy hats don't do much for me.

Seanusa, good luck on your journey.

I am looking for my first fedora to wear. I would like something stylish, lightweight to accommodate the humid Texas summers and a hat with a low crown and wide brim. Like the fedora Indiana jones wore something that will go with grey, khaki, and black slacks as well as a navy blazer. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Best,
Jerry

I think fedoras aren't for everyone. It takes a certain attire and "look" about a person to successfully carry one off, especially fedora's with wider brims. The only hat I wear for fashion/around town is a wool driving cap (winter only) that I picked up in a hat shop in London. Any other hat I own simply serves a functional purpose when I'm playing in the mountains (wide brim polyester hat for sun, cap to keep rain off my glasses, boggin in the winter for warmth, etc.).

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to wear a fedora or trilby around town, but they just don't suit me. I've tried on several, and the girlfriend and I both agree that it's not a good look for me. Maybe it's my age or something. I also think I need a rather low profile hat, since I require a small size (56cm). I dunno.

-Andy

Last edited:
I think the hats in the middle of this page look sharp (rows 2 through 5)! They might work well for the OP with a polo or short sleeve button-up. I'd love to wear one. I see them on trendy college kids wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a polo or t-shirt, and they look good. I see them on older gentlemen who are dressed nicer than the rest of most of the general public, and they look good. I haven't found a hat of similar design that works for me. Maybe I'll visit a nice hat shop the next time I'm in Portland. I know the location of what looks like a good one.

-Andy

I think a trip to Eugene or Portland may ultimately be in order to get fit and see some different styles in person.

+1 on the Fedoras especially compared to caps. Finding the right fedora for you can be a journey.

I agree... I had been looking for a hat recently, and one thing that I notice is that a lot of younger guys are wearing a fedora with a pair of jeans shorts and a t-shirt. This causes the problem that if you wear a hat that is too dressy for your attire, that you kind of lean toward lumping yourself in with that t-shirt/fedora look, which could be un-flattering. I went with a Stetson bucket style hat knowing that my attire is usually casual for the most part. This way I feel comfortable wearing the hat. I continue to search for a fedora hat that doesn't make me feel like it's in a different league from my day-to-day attire.

I wear my Stetson Stratoliner with almost everything. That hat has become as much a part of me as my glasses and I have only received positive comments about it. My current Strat is Caribou and I am seriously thinking about getting another in brown. Right now my brown fedoras are a Stetson Whippet and a Biltmore President.
Anyway, wear the fedoras. It sets you apart as a man with class and style. Let the children wear their caps, we men will wear proper hats and wear them with a vengeance.

Well said.

I get lots of compliments on my fedoras.

One thing I have noticed is the price one fedoras is much more that the price on caps and IMO the caps seem to go better with shorts and a t-shirt and be a bit more causal in style. I am of Scotch-Irish decent and work in a factory, maybe its just in my blood.

Top Bottom