What's new

Karve Overlander Review – Built for Comfort

Thanks for the review! I always like mild but efficiency razors, and waiting for my SS 316 Overlander. Recently I have read some threads discussing Overlander, and many mentioned that Overlander is less efficient than this or that razor. Now I am a little worried, maybe Overlander is not efficient enough for me.

Realistically this is not an issue unless you shave with salt water. If you do, you are better off with marine bronze or titanium anyway, or a cheap plastic razor. Carbon made a 904 steel razor, but I think that was just because it was different and people fall for that.

For me, the answer comes down to two metrics which you didn't mention, "consistency" and "ease of use". The Overlander is indeed less efficient, although by tuning your shave with sharper blade that gap can be narrowed to about half a step (BBS vs BBS-), and less aggressive (more comfortable). But in terms of consistency, I find the outcomes with the Overlander are much more predictable vs the Athena. In addition, the Overlander is simply easier to use, meaning it requires less concentration and effort. Therefore, while the Athena may win on efficiency and comfort alone, the Overlander's composite score is actually higher. I like both depending on the condition of my face and the mood I'm in.
For me, the Overlander was more consistant, easier, comfortable, and more efficient. I only used the Athena in the passaround about 4 times but I can get BBS easier with the Overlander than with the Athena (which it never happened). The overlander was also the same or slightly more efficient than a Wolfman Wr2 0.95 SB on 2 wtg pass only shaves.

If you are a one pass only shaver - who knows. I don't shave that way - for me, it's much easier and more comfortable to go 2 passes with a milder razor than get a super aggressive razor for that situation. YMMV

Eta - I have also found you can tune your Overlander and can tell the difference between aggressive ultra sharp blades and others.

Thanks for the review! I always like mild but efficiency razors, and waiting for my SS 316 Overlander. Recently I have read some threads discussing Overlander, and many mentioned that Overlander is less efficient than this or that razor. Now I am a little worried, maybe Overlander is not efficient enough for me.
I wouldn't characterize the Overlander as inefficient. I liked the OP's review but the scale from DFS to BBS+, while illustrative, is somewhat misleading for the uninitiated. Technique is everything. I can get just as good a shave with the Overlander as I can with the Athena. Even though the Athena is noticeably more efficient.

Over time, as you observe the forum you'll recognize that some people gravitate toward razors that shave on the steep side and others to razors that shave on the shallower side. The Overlander shaves best and most efficient on its neutral angle. The Athena shaves best on the steeper side of neutral. On the shallower side of neutral, my experience would be with the RR Lupo. Although the Blackbird -- which I have never used -- is designed to shave on the shallower side of neutral, many steep shavers use it on the steep side and love it.

My point, IMHO, is those who don't find the Overlander efficient enough are the ones that shoehorn their steep or shallow technique on to the razor rather than letting the razor decide for them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't characterize the Overlander as inefficient. I liked the OP's review but the scale from DFS to BBS+, while illustrative, is somewhat misleading for the uninitiated. Technique is everything. I can get just as good a shave with the Overlander as I can with the Athena. Even though the Athena is noticeably more efficient.

Over time, as you observe the forum you'll recognize that some people gravitate toward razors that shave on the steep side and others to razors that shave on the shallower side. The Overlander shaves best and most efficient on its neutral angle. The Athena shaves best on the steeper side of neutral. On the shallower side of neutral, my experience would be with the RR Lupo. Although the Blackbird -- which I have never used -- is designed to shave on the shallower side of neutral, many steep shavers use it on the steep side and love it.

My point, IMHO, is those who don't find the Overlander efficient enough are the ones that shoehorn their steep or shallow technique on to the razor rather than letting the razor decide for them.

Thanks for answer me :)

@threshyper I would add that in an effort to level-set I evaluate all razors using a Wizamet blade, which is a medium-sharp blade. The efficiency of a razor is dramatically impacted by the choice of blade, which can easily raise the efficiency by 1-2 half-steps (for example from DFS to DFS+ to BBS-). Yesterday, I loaded a Perma-sharp into the Overlander and it delivered a BBS-. Hope this helps!

My experience is that the overlander is inefficient with the grain but makes up for it against the grain. It delivers at least a DFS+ shave consistently and without irritation regardless of buffing. It is very predictable. Some of my razors seem to be moody with good and bad days, and I swear I did nothing different.

@Island I totally agree on the predictability of the Overlander, a metric which is often overlooked. I've updated my razor evaluations to include scores for "Consistency" and "Ease-of-use". Consistency is exactly what you said, the ability to predict the outcome. Ease-of-use is a measure of how much concentration and effort is needed during the shave. When these two factors are taken into account, even though the Overlander has among the lowest efficiency scores (with a Wizamet), it's composite score is #1. Personally, this scorecard is not a ranking of best, or even most preferred razors, but is meant to simply illustrate that a razors performance is more than just comfort and efficiency.

1720799763290.png

Attachments

• 1720799088250.png
    1720799088250.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My alum Overlander continues to produce the most comfortable shaves ever, especially ATG, while efficiency is fine. I remain curious about the La Faulx but will not pay the price.

Top Bottom