What's new

Has anyone used the Suehiro Kouseki 10K?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
another test tonight I used filarmonica 13 8k 10k and I did at least 100 x strokes on the 10k with no issues what so ever . Korratt 8/8 full bellied hollow 5k to 10k quite a thew strokes on the 10k and same results.

Very forgiving hone easy to use .smooth shave . I don't think I'd need more than 20/50 on the 10k after 8k .

Yes Gary,

Last test I did fifty light laps on Kouseki. I'm now quite sure I could have done with less.

Yep, part of my initial test was to see if a reasonably large amount of honing would induce edge artifacts - it didn’t. This information is useful. Now, what’s the minimum to het the full effect?

BTW, as I mentioned before, a good piece of koma works very well for pre-finishing too, because of its speed. I have a couple of koma that are actually finer than the Kouseki though they are uncommon, you can use them as tomo.

I wondered about the nagura white one . So that can be used to polish and clean the surface ? If so that's ideal and better than keep lapping the surface. I'll have to try that
Hey Gary,

It doesn't matter what you lap/true this stone with for example say a 400 grit diamond plate, you have to whenever it gets out of flat/true. I don't own this stone yet, but based on what i have heard its a hard stone, and my experiences is hard stones can act like files if not surface prepared correctly after lapping with a diamond plate . What i mean by that is say you flatten with a 400 grit diamond plate, then you need to use the nagura that comes with the stone to smooth the surface out so it can finish fine and not act like a file because of the course lapping. In a nutshell a hard stone will finish (leave coarser stria, if lapped coarsely) rather coarsely on a razor, and it will stay that way for a while Because it's so hard. Any nagura will work, but it needs to be fine enough. You could also finish on sandpaper whenever you get done lapping (with diamond) so you can put the desired surface finish/texture on the stone. Hope this helps.

I actually use sandpaper after i lap my stones, so a 10k stone 1500 - 2000 wet/dry sand paper is what i use after i lap with my 400 grit diamond .

Last edited:
Hey Gary,

It doesn't matter what you lap/true this stone with for example say a 400 grit diamond plate, you have to whenever it gets out of flat/true. I don't own this stone yet, but based on what i have heard its a hard stone, and my experiences is hard stones can act like files if not surface prepared correctly after lapping with a diamond plate . What i mean by that is say you flatten with a 400 grit diamond plate, then you need to use the nagura that comes with the stone to smooth the surface out so it can finish fine and not act like a file because of the course lapping. In a nutshell a hard stone will finish (leave coarser stria, if lapped coarsely) rather coarsely on a razor, and it will stay that way for a while Because it's so hard. Any nagura will work, but it needs to be fine enough. You could also finish on sandpaper whenever you get done lapping (with diamond) so you can put the desired surface finish/texture on the stone. Hope this helps.

I actually use sandpaper after i lap my stones, so a 10k stone 1500 - 2000 wet/dry sand paper is what i use after i lap with my 400 grit diamond .
Yes that helps makes sense I used the nagura today that they provide . I'll get some 2000
Whet and dry 👍

Hey Gary,

Yes.

This is why I burnish the surface with another stone after lapping. IMHO, one does not need the supplied "nagura," if that is what it actually is.

Steve56

One of my Rigas touched up on the Kouseki. Quite impressive, and extremely little alum sting. Pretty good for a synthetic!

I agree Bill.

It still won’t replace the finest cotis or JNats, but it’s darned close and a sure bet. For those that don’t want to chase the finest naturals, the Suehiro Kouseki 10k is a sure thing. If you want sharper, follow it up with the Suehiro Gokumyo 20k.

Note that this stone is marketed as a 10k, yet it seems to perform well above that grit rating. It’s a replacement for the Naniwa 12k if you want to pay twice as much - it’s harder, faster, and finer IMO.

For the JNat fans, you can slurry it with a koma nagura and it will also replace a fast 8k stone.

I have managed to get a couple of razors at least reasonably sharp on my first few tries with this stone, I have a long way to go but it seems a bit easier than I had assumed with this stone. So a few hundred hours more hours to invest!
It seems most like this stone. What would the the Suehiro Maido 10K bring to the table? Why does it even exist?

Steve56

I have managed to get a couple of razors at least reasonably sharp on my first few tries with this stone, I have a long way to go but it seems a bit easier than I had assumed with this stone. So a few hundred hours more hours to invest!
It seems most like this stone. What would the the Suehiro Maido 10K bring to the table? Why does it even exist?

I’ve wondered about the Maido too. Apparently it is more like the original Kouseki, in that it can crack.

While we’re at it, what’s the difference in these two and the Gokumyo 10k?

Hi guys my final view on this 10k stone ?

Having used it daily since I've had it ive used a ti le dandy hard steel a korratt 14 hard steel and a filarmonica 14 and 13 .

My go to stones are 5k n and 8k n then 10k and I've really good results there is no doubt this 10k is finer and mimic the feel of a natural stone . On the way I've a couple of not quite so good smooth edges , but that's down to me

My absolute best edges and perfect smooth edges on the same razors as been 5k skip 8k and hit the 10k with slurry generated with my worn atoma 400 . Basically do circles half strokes and x strokes rinsed and finish 20 x strokes clean water . Seriously I felt the edge was super smooth and agtg pass was absolutely 💯 comfortable.

If you guys watch Robert Ortiz on utube what he did with his 10k stone is exactly what I did . I only stropped leather

Alum block sting was literally zero and post shave is nice 👍 sadly I ordered a Snow White 8k and I'll not be needing it .

I would say it's possibly one of the nicest shaves I've had if synthetic's

Hi guys my final view on this 10k stone ?

Having used it daily since I've had it ive used a ti le dandy hard steel a korratt 14 hard steel and a filarmonica 14 and 13 .

My go to stones are 5k n and 8k n then 10k and I've really good results there is no doubt this 10k is finer and mimic the feel of a natural stone . On the way I've a couple of not quite so good smooth edges , but that's down to me

My absolute best edges and perfect smooth edges on the same razors as been 5k skip 8k and hit the 10k with slurry generated with my worn atoma 400 . Basically do circles half strokes and x strokes rinsed and finish 20 x strokes clean water . Seriously I felt the edge was super smooth and agtg pass was absolutely 💯 comfortable.

If you guys watch Robert Ortiz on utube what he did with his 10k stone is exactly what I did . I only stropped leather

Alum block sting was literally zero and post shave is nice 👍 sadly I ordered a Snow White 8k and I'll not be needing it .

I would say it's possibly one of the nicest shaves I've had if synthetic's
Nice.
Who would have thought that a stone formulated for straight razors would be good for straight razors:)
I have not tried the diamond slurry yet. I need to give it a go.

For someone who just needs to maintain a good bevel this stone is probably all he needs.

I thought I would join the club. Also needed a new 1200 Atoma, since my old one is missing.

8D18FF29-3E8C-4BF5-9991-115AEFE5686F_1_201_a Large.jpeg

Hello. Does anyone know if you can get this kouseki in Europe, EU,? I say this because I tried to import the stone and they charged me more for tariffs than for stone. I have the 1k and 5k pro from Naniwa and I would like to make the jump to this stone. I don't know if anyone recommends it to me. Thank you.

Hello. Does anyone know if you can get this kouseki in Europe, EU,? I say this because I tried to import the stone and they charged me more for tariffs than for stone. I have the 1k and 5k pro from Naniwa and I would like to make the jump to this stone. I don't know if anyone recommends it to me. Thank you.
I got my stone from Finland.

I got my stone from Finland.
Thank you. Has anyone been able to test the differences between the suehiro 10k kouseki, naniwa 10k pro and naniwa 10k ss? Are they similar in terms of financing stone or are there differences? Assuming that the naniwa 1k, 3k and 5k pro are good stones... the 10k pro should be. What is your opinion?. Thank you.

Thank you. Has anyone been able to test the differences between the suehiro 10k kouseki, naniwa 10k pro and naniwa 10k ss? Are they similar in terms of financing stone or are there differences? Assuming that the naniwa 1k, 3k and 5k pro are good stones... the 10k pro should be. What is your opinion?. Thank you.
I have not tried it, so I don't know.
The Kouseki 10k is specifically made for straight razors and for similar tasks.
That doesn't mean the Naniwa pro 10k is not a good stone.

Steve56

First, I’ve never used the Naniwa Professional above 1k because of their tendency to crack, but I have used the 8k Snow White which did not crack for me, but started to crack when I loaned to a friend. I have no idea why.

Naniwa Super Stone 10k vs Suehiro Kouseki 10k

- About the same grit, I think that the Kouseki is a bit finer, but it won’t matter unless the 10k is your finisher
- The Kouseki is softer IMO, and benefits from a few minutes soak. The Naniwa is splash and go but I always let water sit on a stone for a few minutes before honing.
- Kouseki is faster
- I use a little soft but fine shiro nagura slurry on the Kouseki which helps keep it from loading ip with swarf (Sakimoto san, the Asano fellow, also uses shiro on synth)

Overall, I like the Kouseki, but it’s hard to say why really. It just agrees with me as a pre-finisher to a JNat, as does the Shapton Glass HR 10k.

Treated myself to some early Christmas gifts, a line-up of Shapton Kuromaku stones for my Japanese chisels and plane blades, and I just received the Suehiro 10k Kouseki and the 10k Maido.

Tried the 10K kouseki and am very impressed, honing felt nice, stropped on linen and leather and the shave was outstanding.
Very sharp, but also very smooth, skin friendly and forgiving! No alum sting whatsoever.
I did one careless stroke and would've easily sliced my skin and draw blood with another edge, but this one didn't. That Kouseki is something else. These stones are good. I cba to go back to natural finishing stones after this. I'll be shaving daily for 1-2 weeks to really test the edge and how my skin does with it, but first shave was very promising. Suehiro makes some very fine razor stones.

I once had a TI Grelot sent to me by Martin over at Rasurpur that was honed on a Jnat, the best shaving edge I ever had, this reminds me of it.

Me regalé algunos regalos de Navidad anticipados, una gama de piedras Shapton Kuromaku para mis cinceles japoneses y hojas de avión, y acabo de recibir el Suehiro 10k Kouseki y el 10k Maido.

Probé el kouseki de 10K y estoy muy impresionado, el pulido se sintió bien, se afiló sobre lino y cuero y el afeitado fue excelente.
¡Muy nítido, pero también muy suave, agradable para la piel y tolerante! No hay picadura de alumbrado alguna.
Hice un golpe descuidado y fácilmente habría cortado mi piel y sacado sangre con otro filo, pero este no lo hizo. Ese Kouseki es otra cosa. Estas piedras son buenas. Después de esto, podrá volver a las piedras de acabado natural. Me afeitaré diariamente durante 1 o 2 semanas para probar realmente el borde y cómo le va a mi piel, pero el primer afeitado fue muy prometedor. Suehiro fabrica unas piedras de afeitar muy finas.

Una vez, Martin en Rasurpur me envió un TI Grelot que estaba pulido con un Jnat, el mejor filo de afeitar que había tenido, esto me lo recuerda.
Hola compañero. Estoy interesado en la Suehiro, me alegra que la hayas comprado y que puedas contarnos tu experiencia con esta piedra y podamos evaluarla tal como lo ha hecho Gary. Sabemos que las piedras sintéticas son generalmente más rápidas que las naturales y que estas últimas son muy variables. Aunque el acabado de las piedras naturales puede ser mejor, el Kouseki puede ser la mejor piedra de acabado sintético según calidad-precio que puede satisfacer a cualquier usuario que se afeite a navaja. Gracias y esperamos sus comentarios sobre la piedra.

Top Bottom