What's new

Has anyone used the Suehiro Kouseki 10K?

I honed a razor for my friend Mike, and he said that the edge did feel more like a natural edge than the N12k.
That would be me! Roughly 12 hrs later the face still smooth. You know its a quality edge if the whiskers don't come back for over a half a day! I would say it feels close on par with good natural edge, close to a good mellow jnat edge, but not quite as keen as a Clear water lightsaber/hypersharp Jnat. But some of us (i do) chase comfort and keen, and whenever you can get both and no irritation, thats a great shave! I do believe that the Gok is above this stone, just my opinion, but its supposed to be its rated 0.5um.. Imo though a Gok isnt 0.5um probably more like 16k. A true 0.5um is a 3m diamond lapping film. I bought a Filli from a good friend here and it was honed on the Gok/20. Anyways i thought i would share my pennies 🙂 Edge snobs would not have a problem with this Kouseki.

I don't know how many strokes on this stone. But a Nan/12k is lap/stroke sensitive. 20 max ,on about any razor. The Nan is a good stone but very very finicky. A Nan feels like its from a bottle. The Kouseki feels like its from the ground (meaning natural)

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
In my experience this is a really easy stone to use. It is really forgiving if you do a little too much.
When you are finished with this stone you know you have a good edge, or a good starting point to dial in the edge on a higher grit stone, or to something like an Arkansas stone. I don't mind shaving after the 10k, but i know if i need a little extra i can do an additional 5 to 10 strokes on a higher grit stone and enhance the edge.
As mentioned the Naniwa 12k is lap sensitive. So, it can be difficult enough to dial in the edge to a good 12k level. Moving to a higher grit has been more challenging/hit or miss using the Naniwa 12k. It is also softer, so the finishing potential is also more dependent on pressure management. This can be a challenge on heavy blades, because just the weight of the razor can be enough to dig too much into the stone.

Hey Gary,

Final finish was 2 sets of circles and ellipses, about 20 on the first set and 15 on the second, followed by about 20-25 regular strokes, flipping the blade each stroke. There was no fin or foil visible at 10x.

Hope this helps.
This stone must not be 'lap sensitive' and that maybe a good thing. It give you room to haggle, amd squirm around if you need to. I appreciate the edge my friend, it is nice! Your my friend but your also an enabler 😂..

Cheers,
Mike

I've had the Kouseki for about two weeks now, and there is no longer any question in my mind that this is an impressive stone. If I'm not careful in the shave, it can be a bit crisp, but that's on me. If I do what I know I should be doing... keeping a light touch on the razor, I get a nice shave..
Was it worth the price of admission? For me, perhaps not, because I will not leave my naturals behind, and the Kagayaki 12K is quite close. But, could this be the ultimate high grit finisher at this time???

We each must answer that for ourselves..

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Addendum .. post shave.

Were it not for my attachment to the tradition of natural stones, particularly my beloved coticules, this synthetic could turn me to the dark side...

I hear ya Bill, the Kouseki 10k and Gokumyo 20k are difficult to best in the synthetic finisher world. They still don’t beat an actual first class natural edge, but finding the finest naturals are not for the faint of wallet, takes time, and the best modern synths are close and a sure thing.

another test tonight I used filarmonica 13 8k 10k and I did at least 100 x strokes on the 10k with no issues what so ever . Korratt 8/8 full bellied hollow 5k to 10k quite a thew strokes on the 10k and same results.

Very forgiving hone easy to use .smooth shave . I don't think I'd need more than 20/50 on the 10k after 8k .
You can also try skipping the 8k, and use the 10k with the included white slurry stone. Dilute, and finish with your 20/50 stokes.
The slurry will not damage the edge the same way some other synthetics does .
The slurry also polish the stone, it reduces loading, and I think the stone gives a better finish. You just need a little misty slurry.
If used this way it feels more like a natural stone.

After flattening the Kouseki, I burnished the working surface with another stone, it happend to be a piece of Les Lat, as I always do after lapping.

I wish I knew more about the nagura that come along with the Kouseki...

another test tonight I used filarmonica 13 8k 10k and I did at least 100 x strokes on the 10k with no issues what so ever . Korratt 8/8 full bellied hollow 5k to 10k quite a thew strokes on the 10k and same results.

Very forgiving hone easy to use .smooth shave . I don't think I'd need more than 20/50 on the 10k after 8k .
Yes Gary,

Last test I did fifty light laps on Kouseki. I'm now quite sure I could have done with less.

You can also try skipping the 8k, and use the 10k with the included white slurry stone. Dilute, and finish with your 20/50 stokes.
The slurry will not damage the edge the same way some other synthetics does .
The slurry also polish the stone, it reduces loading, and I think the stone gives a better finish. You just need a little misty slurry.
If used this way it feels more like a natural stone.
I wondered about the nagura white one . So that can be used to polish and clean the surface ? If so that's ideal and better than keep lapping the surface. I'll have to try that

Top Bottom