What's new

Happy Thanksgiving . . .

We get to start early up here in the Great Northern climes . . . so what is on the menu for Thanksgiving?

I am providing the fest for about a dozen family members tomorrow. We are going to be doing the traditional oven roasted turkey wrapped in bacon and I will be smoking a ham (bone in) in my new smoker, as well. Just the usual trimmings (roast spuds, corn, garlic green beans almondine). It's going to be a GREAT day

What you got?

proxy.php

Standards here - turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, rice and gravy, home made yeast rolls, green beans, more that I can't recall right now. Dessert is various pies and always ambrosia.

So . . . turkey in the oven . . . not trying that in the smoker just yet. Spiral ham in the smoker with a honey glaze to coat it. Peach wood chips added a little sharpness to the sweetness of the ham . . . very nice. Broccoli and cauliflower in the smoker for about 1/2 an hour topped with grated parmesan and romano cheese. Glazed carrots too.

Attachments

• $thanks 004.jpg
    $thanks 004.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 63
  • $thanks 005.jpg
    $thanks 005.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 63
  • $thanks 006.jpg
    $thanks 006.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 62
Potatoes were provided by my sister, and SWMBO made the pea soup using the innards from the turkey, especially for my Dad. Pea Soup was always something my late Mother would make after Thanksgiving . . . my wife is a wiz when it comes to soups, and cooking in general.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Again this year, the Mrs. and I (plus guests...and they will be bringing the 'other fixings'), will be serving a Southern dish called Turducken (w/ turkey gravy), which consists of a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck, which is in turn stuffed into a deboned turkey w/ creole sausage and cornbread dressing from Big Easy Foods (http://www.bigeasyfoods.com/products/tur-duc-hens/creole-sausage-cornbread-tur-duc-hen/#.Vhs3RCtfnIU).
proxy.php

$Turducken - 1.jpg

Last year, we decided to buy a store bought 15lbs Turducken as a test (especially since we've always made the dressing separate), and we loved the results.

Maybe next year the Mrs. and I will debone the three birds ourselves and make our own dressing (smoked oyster, bacon and leek dressing w/ a even mix of cornbread and french bread), and Cranberry Sauce w/ Apples & Port). :thumbsup:

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

attachment.php
"It's like 'Inception' with poultry". Author Unknown

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nice spread, but I see the crablobstopus hasn't mad it to Canada yet.

Happy Thanksgiving!
My friends had a Thanksgiving potluck on Saturday so I brought over a sweet potato casserole with mandarins and marshmallows on top

Wow Orville, that ham looks and sounded fantastic!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

We had frozen turkey breast, mashed potatoes from a box........but some really good 18 year old scotch! It's 32c here during the day right now, so cooking a turkey in the oven all day is not pleasant, thus the cook from frozen breast. We couldn't let Canadian Thanksgiving pass by without making a small effort though.

Again this year, the Mrs. and I (plus guests...and they will be bringing the 'other fixings'), will be serving a Southern dish called Turducken (w/ turkey gravy), which consists of a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck, which is in turn stuffed into a deboned turkey w/ creole sausage and cornbread dressing from Big Easy Foods (http://www.bigeasyfoods.com/products/tur-duc-hens/creole-sausage-cornbread-tur-duc-hen/#.Vhs3RCtfnIU).
proxy.php

View attachment 606980

Last year, we decided to buy a store bought 15lbs Turducken as a test (especially since we've always made the dressing separate), and we loved the results.

Maybe next year the Mrs. and I will debone the three birds ourselves and make our own dressing (smoked oyster, bacon and leek dressing w/ a even mix of cornbread and french bread), and Cranberry Sauce w/ Apples & Port). :thumbsup:

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

attachment.php
"It's like 'Inception' with poultry". Author Unknown

Wow, you sound very ambitious considering to do all that yourself next year, but the results sound amazing!!!!

Top Bottom